Thomianguy

10 ye visa process overlapping into qualifying for citizenship

39 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, diane79 said:

She can apply for the citizenship. However, take in consideration that you will "reset" the waiting times, and then you will have to wait (again) around 18 months for the citizenship, starting the date you submitted the application. 

Since she won't receive the 10-year green card, she will need to get the stamp in her passport once the 18-month letter she received when she filed for the 10-year green card expires.

Interesting. Never thought of that. Thanks for sharing this! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline
25 minutes ago, diane79 said:

She can apply for the citizenship. However, take in consideration that you will "reset" the waiting times, and then you will have to wait (again) around 18 months for the citizenship, starting the date you submitted the application. 

Since she won't receive the 10-year green card, she will need to get the stamp in her passport once the 18-month letter she received when she filed for the 10-year green card expires.

I am in the same situation. I filed for removal of conditions January last year.  Last month I filed for the citizenship without receiving the new green card. Since I already have to wait, it doesn't really matter to me.  My estimated processing time was 19 months. 

Thank you!

USCIS Stage

Marriage: 3/21/15

I-130 Sent: 5/03/15

NOA1: 5/08/15

NOA2 (approval): 10/26/15

NVC Stage (CR1)

NVC Received Case: 11/12/15

NVC Scan Date: 12/2/15

Paid AOS fee: 12/04/15

Paid IV fee: 12/04/15

AOS & IV Package sent: 12/16/15

NVC Case Complete: 1/26/16

Interview Date: 4/27/16

Interview Result: Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I was in the same situation. I waited until I had my 10 years before applying for citizenship. You do have the right to apply for citizenship when your time is due even if you have not gotten your removal of conditions approved. However, the officer in charge of your case would want to find out why the rush. This will let them scrutinized your l751 thoroughly which could lead to a denial. Even though u can file the N400 now, I would advice you wait. Sometimes you gotta let USCIS know that your life doesn’t depend on them . 

Timeline
33 minutes ago, little immigrant said:

If you filed I-751 you're removing the conditions 

Temporary visa? You mean conditional green card? 

Yes even with ROC pending you can already apply for citizenship once eligible. 

Immigration isn't cheap for sure

Yes, we filed that (I-751)

Yes, that Green Card. I cannot keep up with what is what.

Yup, I get that now.

And yes, it sure isn't.

Edited by Thomianguy

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage (CR1)

It doesnt reset any clocks.  N-400 is adjudicated locally and the I-751 is done at service centers.  If the N-400 comes up for interview then they have a joint interview.  Also the officers are perfectly aware of the time for ROC and dont look negatively if you dont wait. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

14 minutes ago, princeglove said:

I was in the same situation. I waited until I had my 10 years before applying for citizenship. You do have the right to apply for citizenship when your time is due even if you have not gotten your removal of conditions approved. However, the officer in charge of your case would want to find out why the rush. This will let them scrutinized your l751 thoroughly which could lead to a denial. Even though u can file the N400 now, I would advice you wait. Sometimes you gotta let USCIS know that your life doesn’t depend on them . 

Umm no. Lots of people these days file N400 while I751 is pending. This action by itself does not lead to more scrutiny. Most IO's will not care. If you have other issues like criminal history or a suspiciously timed divorce, then that provokes scrutiny. I751 denial rates are pretty low to begin with anyways. Please don't be giving people incorrect info about this process.

Edited by mushroomspore

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
19 hours ago, Thomianguy said:

So, a few years ago, under the Obama administration, my wife had a relatively smooth process in getting her CR1 visa. Whole process took about 11 months and she moved to the states a few weeks later to be with me. 2 years later, she filed for her 10-year visa right at the time when the option became available, but Trump was now president. What, in the past, used to take about 6-9 months (getting the 10-year visa) turned into a potential EIGHTEEN months after she received a letter telling her that her processing time was INCREASED to that time frame. As of April 2019, it will be ONE year since we filed for that 10-year visa to remove conditions and May will be 3 years since she has been here and qualified to apply for citizenship. So, does she still wait for that 10-year visa BEFORE applying for citizenship or once she qualifies for the citizenship, she can simply apply for that and just forget about the 10-year visa or can she even do that considering the fact they could always find some reason to DENY the 10-year visa which, I can only assume, means you won't qualify for citizenship?

Anyone else in this predicament or received a letter telling them their road to the 10-year visa (to remove conditions) has become longer by well over a year?

6 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

Umm no. Lots of people these days file N400 while I751 is pending. This action by itself does not lead to more scrutiny. Most IO's will not care. If you have other issues like criminal history or a suspiciously timed divorce, then that provokes scrutiny. I751 denial rates are pretty low to begin with anyways. Please don't be giving people incorrect info about this process.

You are right mushroom. I think you took my reply out of context. I have had my cousin’s removal of conditions denied after he filed for n400. I am not saying that’s is a universal rule. The essence of this website to share experiences we have been through or witnessed so PLEASE CALM DOWN 

22 hours ago, Thomianguy said:

... but Trump was now president....

Just a heads up... Bozo Trump has a large following here. You wouldn't think so given the nature of this site. 🤣

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

22 hours ago, Thomianguy said:

and May will be 3 years since she has been here and qualified to apply for citizenship.

Which day in May 2016 did she enter the US? She also is eligible to apply for citizenship in the 90 days before the 3 year anniversary of US entry: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-early-filing-calculator She might already be eligible.

Edited by accumbyte

Timeline
5 hours ago, accumbyte said:

Which day in May 2016 did she enter the US? She also is eligible to apply for citizenship in the 90 days before the 3 year anniversary of US entry: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-early-filing-calculator She might already be eligible.

I believe it was May 15th, 2016, Acumbyte.

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage (CR1)

Timeline
5 hours ago, USC4SPOUSE said:

Just a heads up... Bozo Trump has a large following here. You wouldn't think so given the nature of this site. 🤣

Use to be on the site a lot over 3 years ago. Just came back after all that time. Was not aware of the political climate, but yes, that is surprising considering his seeming displeasure with immigrants, notably from certain places and that it appears his policies have slowed the process for many of us.

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage (CR1)

Timeline
45 minutes ago, accumbyte said:

With that date you can file starting this Thursday the 14th, if you want. Input 05/15/2019 on the early filing calculator: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-early-filing-calculator

Nice!

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage (CR1)

20 hours ago, Thomianguy said:

Use to be on the site a lot over 3 years ago. Just came back after all that time. Was not aware of the political climate, but yes, that is surprising considering his seeming displeasure with immigrants, notably from certain places and that it appears his policies have slowed the process for many of us.

He is just embarrassing and so are his followers. 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.