Zoeeeeeee

Can you get your passport returned during the process?

24 posts in this topic

Yes, they will return the passport upon request. It is not their property. It is not even your own property for citizens of most countries. It is generally the property of the country that issues it (hence why a country can revoke one of their citizen's passports).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

I think I should be ok - I mean, surely if you’ve started going through the K1 process, that would be the time you’d be least likely to illegally stay...? I’ll have a return ticket booked and I’ve been many times and never overstayed, so I don’t anticipate problems...country of origin I’m sure plays a part too - coming from the UK, I assume the expectation of illegal immigration is reduced...

Logic and CBP are sometimes like oil and water.  Yes of course U.K. citizens are among the least likely to overstay.  On the other hand when you explain to the CBP you are making this trip to be with your old dog, maybe the officer will reason that you will overstay if the dog gets too sick.  

It would be especially hideous and inhumane  if the dog is also denied entry since presumably it will be your properly and not the petitioner’s.    During secondary inspection, you and the dog might be separated from the petioner.  

Hard choices ahead for you. Sorry.

You have my best wishes.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

My now-husband did this twice. No issue.

I’m truly happy for you.  

The great thing about replies like yours is that they are easy to refute.  Just because you and perhaps 100s of others on the sticky thread say you can travel to the USA while wait for the K1 doesn’t mean it is true.  I just need to provide one example to refute.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Mike E said:

The great thing about replies like yours is that they are easy to refute.  Just because you and perhaps 100s of others on the sticky thread say you can travel to the USA while wait for the K1 doesn’t mean it is true.  I just need to provide one example to refute.  

Except the example you chose to quote does not apply to the OP at all.  The person in your example does not have a tourist visa to begin with.  It says so on the first line.  She was denied a visa at the consular level, not turned away by CBP.  Also, the OP is from a VWP country.  Another important difference with the Russian person in the quoted post.

OP: I'm sure you understand that only US citizens are guaranteed entry.  So be ready with a Plan B, just in case.  That said, you are right to think that the likelihood of you being turned away by CBP is low.  I recommend bringing a copy of your NOA letter when you visit.  Based on the experiences of VWP visitors in the "You can visit" thread, CBP officers seem to take that as good evidence that you intend to follow the law and not overstay.

Good luck and I hope you report back with your experience in the K1 Visit thread to help others in your situation prepare for their visits.

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

I’m truly happy for you.  

Except that OP already has her visitor visa....

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

I’m truly happy for you.  

Your response does not make sense. Like my husband, the OP has visited before and returned, is not from a high fraud country, and already has their visa to visit. While yes, no one who is not a citizen is guaranteed entry, the chances of having a problem at the border is very low. My husband visited twice during the K1 visa process, as have many others successfully. No one ever mentioned anything about the K1 application either time at two different borders. I also asked a border officer myself on the way home from visiting my then-fiance who said this was fine. 

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

Logic and CBP are sometimes like oil and water.  Yes of course U.K. citizens are among the least likely to overstay.  On the other hand when you explain to the CBP you are making this trip to be with your old dog, maybe the officer will reason that you will overstay if the dog gets too sick.  

It would be especially hideous and inhumane  if the dog is also denied entry since presumably it will be your properly and not the petitioner’s.    During secondary inspection, you and the dog might be separated from the petioner.  

You have my best wishes.  

Totally appreciate your point Mike - and of course, no one is guaranteed entry.

I have actually travelled there with my dog before (I stayed in California for 6 months in 2017 and my dog flew with me) - he was also elderly then too (12 then - about to turn 14 now) - and I had no problems entering then, so I think all of this plays in the decision to grant entry - I hope that my multiple visits, including with my dog, and that I’ve always obeyed the law there, always left when I should’ve, etc, on paper makes me a visitor that they can trust.

If worst came to the worst, I would have to fly home from New York after the cruise - and my fiancé would then have to do the drive on his own - I’d be a bit sad about that, as we obviously want to do the whole trip together - but the important part to me is getting my dog there safely. 

10 hours ago, Mike E said:

You have my best wishes.  

4 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Totally appreciate your point Mike - and of course, no one is guaranteed entry.

I have actually travelled there with my dog before (I stayed in California for 6 months in 2017 and my dog flew with me) - he was also elderly then too (12 then - about to turn 14 now) - and I had no problems entering then, so I think all of this plays in the decision to grant entry - I hope that my multiple visits, including with my dog, and that I’ve always obeyed the law there, always left when I should’ve, etc, on paper makes me a visitor that they can trust.

If worst came to the worst, I would have to fly home from New York after the cruise - and my fiancé would then have to do the drive on his own - I’d be a bit sad about that, as we obviously want to do the whole trip together - but the important part to me is getting my dog there safely. 

Also, just to add to this - if I was turned away, my dog wouldn’t also be - he can be collected by anybody in the US upon arrival, as long as I give my authorisation and as long as his vaccinations and pet passport is in order. I discovered this when flying with him last time - animals are really frequently shipped overseas and collected by other people - it’s less common for owners to travel with their pets. 🙂

20 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

I don’t have any advice to offer but I just want to say I am so happy you are keeping your dog and making these crazy travel sacrifices for him/her. So many people would just give up their animal. I have a cat with a heart issue and although she doesn’t travel I understand some sacrifices that have to be made for them. Good luck on your visa journey :) 

Thanks @Luckycuds,

His nickname is the ‘million dollar man’, as his vet bills over the years are in the thousands of £ 😫 (he’s had some very complicated eye issues over the years)...so I suppose it’s only natural that he’d require a super expensive/elaborate method of emigration 😉...and true to his name, he actually spent last night at the emergency vets, after eating suspected drugs or poison on his walk yesterday (meaning last night was super scary for me! 😫)...

However, despite him being the reason that I’ll always have to work full time (and am going prematurely grey!), I love the little monster, so it’s worth it 😍.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.