SRNCR

Adam Walsh Act question

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
1 hour ago, SRNCR said:

Guys unless you literally are either a lawyer and can give advice or have personally experienced this do you mind if we dont guess anymore on it until I talk to the lawyers? I do appreciate your help though!

I'm pretty sure that many of the people (at least two of them but probably more) giving you advice in this thread are, indeed, lawyers and some even work in the field of immigration.

EDIT: one more thing... people here are rooting for you. They're giving you the best advice they can in order to maximize your potential for success.

Edited by Russ&Caro

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, SRNCR said:

Guys unless you literally are either a lawyer and can give advice or have personally experienced this do you mind if we dont guess anymore on it until I talk to the lawyers? I do appreciate your help though!

You realize that this is a DIY site, right?   

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Timeline

I found this with a quick google search. Act states that consensual sexual conduct is not a sex offense if, in part, "the victim was at least 13 years old
and the offender was not more than 4 years older than the victim." (Emphasis added). Although the victim
was fourteen years old at the time of the offense, the difference in age between the petitioner and the victim,
based upon their dates of birth, is four years and 27 days. Therefore, the consensual sexual conduct exception
does not apply.  https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/err/D6 - Fiancees and Fiances of U.S. Citizen (K-1)/Decisions_Issued_in_2012/Nov052012_01D6101.pdf
           page 4.  They were considered AWA but approved. 

2 hours ago, Damara said:

I found this with a quick google search. Act states that consensual sexual conduct is not a sex offense if, in part, "the victim was at least 13 years old
and the offender was not more than 4 years older than the victim." (Emphasis added). Although the victim
was fourteen years old at the time of the offense, the difference in age between the petitioner and the victim,
based upon their dates of birth, is four years and 27 days. Therefore, the consensual sexual conduct exception
does not apply.  https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/err/D6 - Fiancees and Fiances of U.S. Citizen (K-1)/Decisions_Issued_in_2012/Nov052012_01D6101.pdf
           page 4.  They were considered AWA but approved. 

Good find.

So it took over 2 years for the I-129F approval, and was ultimately approved on appeal based upon a discretionary decision that the petitioner did not pose any harm to the beneficiary, not because it was considered to not fall within AWA guidelines.

For an I-130 in today's world, this looks like a few year long process at best. Also, I'm assuming the previous criminal activities (2 of which would be CIMTs) would be part of the consideration regarding any potential harm to the beneficiary.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

23 hours ago, Redheadguy03 said:

Your husband got approved though correct? Were you the one who tried to go to the UK originally? Or am I thinking of someone else? 

He was denied a UK visa. I’m British. He’s a USC. I was approved for a spousal visa but ours was not an AWA case and he also was not under any supervision order. Unlike the OP’s husband. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I got a response from a lawyer I contacted today. They said "It may or may not be an AWA issue. In the criminal case, the government had the burden of proof and a deal was cut. In the immigration case, your husband has the burden of proof, so the standards are different. You still have a statutory interpretation issue, but a state court determination does not resolve statutory interpretation for U.S. immigration purposes. It may not even be that there was any interpretation of statute in the criminal matter, which is likely the case."

Sounds like something that will need to be pondered further should we engage them. Also sounds like we're going to get a lot of guessing until it comes time to actually challenge the law. I've got an infopass appointment which I will attend soon too because I requested an EAD expedite and they requested I attend to provide the evidence for it so I'll see what I can find out about what's going on. At this point theres actually nothing going on lol but we will have to see what happens in the future. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Never heard of attending to submit info on an EAD expedite, is this something new?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Never heard of attending to submit info on an EAD expedite, is this something new?

No idea. They originally accidentally put the request on my i485. Despite me calling several times during the expedite process and asking them to cancel that request so the new one could be processed on the correct form it never was cancelled and this letter had to do with going to infopass with evidence for my i485 expedite. When I called to ask what to do they said make the infopass appointment and go there with your i765 expedite proof and just tell them again at the infopass that you dont want the i485 expedited. Such a nightmare 😬

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

No advice 

As a petitioner who fell under the AWA it took us 8 years to get a K1 visa. The determining factor is if he can prove he poses no threat to you.

I estimate our legal fees at $24k plus the costs of supporting 2 homes 1 here and 1 there and travel expenses. So well into the 6 figure range.

Once here the AOS went without issues.

Once you get the I29f or c130 are approved the rest of the process to citizenship is normal unless he reoffend or you do something.

Timeline
On 2/17/2019 at 8:54 PM, evli1966 said:

No advice 

As a petitioner who fell under the AWA it took us 8 years to get a K1 visa. The determining factor is if he can prove he poses no threat to you.

I estimate our legal fees at $24k plus the costs of supporting 2 homes 1 here and 1 there and travel expenses. So well into the 6 figure range.

Once here the AOS went without issues.

Once you get the I29f or c130 are approved the rest of the process to citizenship is normal unless he reoffend or you do something.

I sent you a message yesterday just wanted to get some general info on your process if that's okay? :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 2/11/2019 at 10:29 AM, SRNCR said:

I agree with you on that fact that a conviction is what matter. My husband and I have filed the I-130 and I-485 ( I am here in F-1) two weeks ago. My husband had AWA charges but non-AWA conviction. We consulted and attorney and they have done an extensive research and concluded a higher chance of him falling under AWA than not. We hired one anyway cuz we can afford it and will advise to do so if you can. I agree with you about how USCIS just cannot make interruption about the case the way they want, but they will and that have happened in the past. I understand your frustration ( me too) ,but the system is broken, and they have full authority over everything. Overcoming this is a very long and hard process not because of the case facts but the system itself. I would like for us to get in touch as we are both going through same/similar situation. I have red a lot of cases as well as the law itself.

Good Luck,

A-   

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.