JISnJRS

CR-1 Income requirements

57 posts in this topic

I notice that for a family of 2 the requirements are set a $21,138, is there a certain a number of years they they calculate on the average? For right now Im $138 short, at what time is it needed to get a family member to "co sponsor" this process? Is this co sponsor needed on the I-130 application also?

Thanks.

pic2_2022.jpg.c44bdafe791ace24f3ee1b38379ac5ab.jpg

30 minutes ago, Luk Dit Mo said:

I notice that for a family of 2 the requirements are set a $21,138, is there a certain a number of years they they calculate on the average? For right now Im $138 short, at what time is it needed to get a family member to "co sponsor" this process? Is this co sponsor needed on the I-130 application also?

Thanks.

The Co sponsor is not needed at this stage  but will be needed at the nvc stage after the I-130 is approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Luk Dit Mo said:

Thanks.

No.  The joint sponsor will be required to submit an I-864 with supporting documents. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

10 minutes ago, missileman said:

No.  The joint sponsor will be required to submit an I-864 with supporting documents. 

When would the I-864 needed be sent in.. after the I-130 is approved? along with my income as well..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Luk Dit Mo said:

When would the I-864 needed be sent in.. after the I-130 is approved? along with my income as well..

This is an excerpt from the spousal visa guide here on VJ.  I would advise you to read and study the entire guide.

https://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

By the way, both the primary sponsor (you) and any joint sponsor will have to submit financial documents.

"

What Happens After You Mail the I-130 Out?

A few weeks after you have sent your petition to the USCIS you will receive a Notice of Action (aka NOA) letter indicating that they have begun processing your I-130 application. You can check the status of your application as well as other processing time information here.

When your I-130 petition is finally approved, the service center that processed your petition, will send you another Notice of Action letter indicating your approval, and the forwarding of your approved petition to the National Visa Center (NVC) in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, along with a phone number to contact the NVC with. Your case will now only be dealt with by the NVC. The service center that you filed with, will have no more knowledge on the status of your petition or case.

A few weeks after you have received your last Notice of Action indicating the approval and forwarding of your I-130 application to the NVC, the NVC will send your relative a packet of forms that you and your relative must fill out before your relative can be given an interview date with a consulate abroad. The packet will likely contain instructions to fill out the DS-261 and DS-260 online forms, by the intending immigrant. An I-864 form is also included that must be filled out by the petitioner (living in the US). The I-864 is the Affidavit of Support form that requires copies of the petitioners past 3 U.S tax returns (or tax transcripts which are free from the IRS) as well as any bank or financial records available (see the I-864 for exact requirements based on your case). The petitioner must make at least 125% above the U.S federal poverty to indicate to the U.S government that the intending immigrant will not become a federal charge to the government when he/she arrives in the U.S.. If the petitioner cannot meet these requirements, then he/she must still file an I-864, and find a joint sponsor who can meet the requirements on his/her own. When a joint sponsor is needed ,proof of their U.S citizenship or permanent residency is required. (i.e. copy of birth certificate, immigration status etc). The joint sponsor must be residing in the U.S, and he/she must also submit his/her past 3 years U.S tax returns along with bank or any other financial records available. The joint sponsor must submit his/her own I-864 form to accompany the petitioner's I-864 form.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

4 minutes ago, kybaby said:

where are you seeing $21,138?

have new guidelines for 2019 been published?

im looking on uscis and family of two it says  $20,575

I checked out Rapid Visa, was the 1st thing that came up as my google search, a year ago in 2017 that was published. I'll check out the USCIS site, Thanks!

6 minutes ago, missileman said:

This is an excerpt from the spousal visa guide here on VJ.  I would advise you to read and study the entire guide.

https://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

By the way, both the primary sponsor (you) and any joint sponsor will have to submit financial documents.

"

What Happens After You Mail the I-130 Out?

A few weeks after you have sent your petition to the USCIS you will receive a Notice of Action (aka NOA) letter indicating that they have begun processing your I-130 application. You can check the status of your application as well as other processing time information here.

When your I-130 petition is finally approved, the service center that processed your petition, will send you another Notice of Action letter indicating your approval, and the forwarding of your approved petition to the National Visa Center (NVC) in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, along with a phone number to contact the NVC with. Your case will now only be dealt with by the NVC. The service center that you filed with, will have no more knowledge on the status of your petition or case.

A few weeks after you have received your last Notice of Action indicating the approval and forwarding of your I-130 application to the NVC, the NVC will send your relative a packet of forms that you and your relative must fill out before your relative can be given an interview date with a consulate abroad. The packet will likely contain instructions to fill out the DS-261 and DS-260 online forms, by the intending immigrant. An I-864 form is also included that must be filled out by the petitioner (living in the US). The I-864 is the Affidavit of Support form that requires copies of the petitioners past 3 U.S tax returns (or tax transcripts which are free from the IRS) as well as any bank or financial records available (see the I-864 for exact requirements based on your case). The petitioner must make at least 125% above the U.S federal poverty to indicate to the U.S government that the intending immigrant will not become a federal charge to the government when he/she arrives in the U.S.. If the petitioner cannot meet these requirements, then he/she must still file an I-864, and find a joint sponsor who can meet the requirements on his/her own. When a joint sponsor is needed ,proof of their U.S citizenship or permanent residency is required. (i.e. copy of birth certificate, immigration status etc). The joint sponsor must be residing in the U.S, and he/she must also submit his/her past 3 years U.S tax returns along with bank or any other financial records available. The joint sponsor must submit his/her own I-864 form to accompany the petitioner's I-864 form.

Thanks very much!

1 hour ago, kybaby said:
49 minutes ago, Luk Dit Mo said:

Barely over, would it beneficial to get a parent  involved?

That is the old guideline, the newer poverty guideline is higher than last year. For how much longer will the USCIS or embassy accept the old numbers? Yes the new numbers were published already. For 2 persons the 125% line is $21,138 for 2019.

https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines

https://aspe.hhs.gov/system/files/aspe-files/107166/2019-pctpovertytool-highlight.pdf

1 minute ago, suss6052 said:

That is the old guideline, the newer poverty guideline is higher than last year. For how much longer will the USCIS or embassy accept the old numbers? Yes the new numbers were published already. For 2 persons the 125% line is $21,138 for 2019.

https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines

https://aspe.hhs.gov/system/files/aspe-files/107166/2019-pctpovertytool-highlight.pdf

my exact thoughts, either way im barely over and just short of the requirements. Bottom line is im going to go for a co-sponsor.

• 3 months later...

Just a question.. 2 of my relatives offered the assistance as "co-sponsors" They're both retired, have SSI coming in, and both have larger bank accounts with checking and savings. Including myself, all of us have to produce 3 years of tax filings? The NVC will send out forms to be filled out by all 3 of us, correct?

is this a good idea to take both as my co- sponsors?

Thanks..

Edited by Luk Dit Mo
edit

Here is 2019

2019 Poverty Levels.JPG

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

1 hour ago, Luk Dit Mo said:

Just a question.. 2 of my relatives offered the assistance as "co-sponsors" They're both retired, have SSI coming in, and both have larger bank accounts with checking and savings. Including myself, all of us have to produce 3 years of tax filings? The NVC will send out forms to be filled out by all 3 of us, correct?

is this a good idea to take both as my co- sponsors?

Thanks..

Each co-sponsor needs to meet the requirement so adding more doesn't make sense.  NVC doesn't send the I-864 forms out.  You will need to download them, fill them out and then, depending on you embassy, either upload, mail or email them.  Only the latest transcript is required but the form asks for the last three years (numbers only - no paperwork).

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

44 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Each co-sponsor needs to meet the requirement so adding more doesn't make sense.  NVC doesn't send the I-864 forms out.  You will need to download them, fill them out and then, depending on you embassy, either upload, mail or email them.  Only the latest transcript is required but the form asks for the last three years (numbers only - no paperwork).

😮 wow, each co sponsor needs to meet the requirements. I didnt understand it as that, I thought the extra income pushed me over the required amount.. I'll check what their numbers are and go from there, whats needed? Amount before or after taxed amount? just curious.

Thanks.

Edited by Luk Dit Mo
edit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.