dentsflogged

Domestic travel during AOS

18 posts in this topic

Assuming that the weather doesn't mess me about (thanks to the winter storm in my part of the Midwest), I'm due to fly south tomorrow to finally go collect my cat (after 4 months apart!) - do I need to do anything special? 

I'm AOS from ESTA, finally have my receipts from USCIS so I'll be bringing the ones from i-130 and i-485 as well as a copy of our marriage certificate & my passport (because I don't have a Real ID compliant license yet) - is this all sufficient? I'm really worried that something will go wrong and TSA will call in ICE or something (yep I'm probably over-thinking this!)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Just now, dentsflogged said:

Assuming that the weather doesn't mess me about (thanks to the winter storm in my part of the Midwest), I'm due to fly south tomorrow to finally go collect my cat (after 4 months apart!) - do I need to do anything special? 

I'm AOS from ESTA, finally have my receipts from USCIS so I'll be bringing the ones from i-130 and i-485 as well as a copy of our marriage certificate & my passport (because I don't have a Real ID compliant license yet) - is this all sufficient? I'm really worried that something will go wrong and TSA will call in ICE or something (yep I'm probably over-thinking this!)

Are you flying domestic? In that case passport and MC are enough. I traveled domestic twice and they only looked at my passport (I'm AOS from K1, but that shouldn't matter as long as you're I-485 is pending you're legal)

If you're flying international you need an approved AP before you go

Edited by C90

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

Should be fine. You don't just have a regular state ID or driver's license? Doesn't need to be the compliant card yet.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

I would not leave the USA until you have AP.  If flying domestically you're fine. 

BTW your cat if flying or travelling domestically will need a heath certificate from a veterinarian. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Just now, Ben&Zian said:

Should be fine. You don't just have a regular state ID or driver's license? Doesn't need to be the compliant card yet.

No state ID at all yet - my job for when I get home with the cat is to go over to DMV and see if Wisconsin will accept my receipt for i-485, a print out of the Minneapolis service centre timeline for AOS processing and my Aussie license to see if they'll give me even a temporary license. 

2 minutes ago, C90 said:

Are you flying domestic? In that case passport and MC are enough. I traveled domestic twice and they only looked at my passport

If you're flying international you need an approved AP before you go

Yes, just domestic.  Phoenix.  It's got the best connections to get home with kitty in tow (and they wouldn't land her at MSP due to their restrictions on pets in inclement weather which i'm totally on board with) but now the idea of going through 2 major international airports has me worried!

~~moved to working and travelling during immigration from AOS from work, student or tourist visa progress reports~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

3 minutes ago, NikLR said:

I would not leave the USA until you have AP.  If flying domestically you're fine. 

BTW your cat if flying or travelling domestically will need a heath certificate from a veterinarian. 

Cat is flying in from Australia to Phoenix so she will have all her export documents which I was told by the reps when I called to book her in the cabin for our flights home will be acceptable.   Both told me that regulations for international import animals are slightly different because of the checks they have to have before & after their international flights. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Yes, just domestic.  Phoenix.  It's got the best connections to get home with kitty in tow (and they wouldn't land her at MSP due to their restrictions on pets in inclement weather which i'm totally on board with) but now the idea of going through 2 major international airports has me worried!

Do you mean that your cat goes through 2 major international airports to get to Phoenix? I re-homed my 2 cats when I moved cause I didn't wanna make them fly that long, but I've seen a lot of stories on here from people who successfully brought their pets here :) As long as you made sure your cat has everything he/she needs during the flight I'm sure he/she is going to be fine and ecstatic to be reunited with you! 

Cat is flying in from Australia to Phoenix so she will have all her export documents which I was told by the reps when I called to book her in the cabin for our flights home will be acceptable.   Both told me that regulations for international import animals are slightly different because of the checks they have to have before & after their international flights. 

there's different health certificates required for domestic travel than international.  

Just now, C90 said:

Do you mean that your cat goes through 2 major international airports to get to Phoenix? I re-homed my 2 cats when I moved cause I didn't wanna make them fly that long, but I've seen a lot of stories on here from people who successfully brought their pets here :) As long as you made sure your cat has everything he/she needs during the flight I'm sure he/she is going to be fine and ecstatic to be reunited with you! 

I'm using a professional pet transport company, which I'm hoping goes OK - I've had a few really good reviews from people I trust.

She gets picked up from where she's been living with a friend the day before she flies & will get checked over first and gets a break from the crate overnight before flying. 

Flies into LAX and has a significant break (around 10 hours) out of the crate while it's cleaned & the lining changed and she gets checked over by the import vet. A very short flight to Phoenix from there.

I pick her up in Phoenix & we go back to my friend's place and she & I will chill out for a few hours (only about 6 hours between getting back and having to leave again, so I doubt I'll try to sleep and we will just sit somewhere quiet together) before going back to the airport for our early flight home with her in the cabin with me. 

I re-homed her sister (she ended up being adopted by the person looking after both of them) but I hand-reared this cat from a 4 week old kitten when I found her abandoned in a box and I couldn't bring myself to give her up. I can't wait to see her!  Even my husband is excited because he knows how miserable I am without her! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
11 minutes ago, NikLR said:

It is partially incorrect. While bringing my cat, I had all the documents but they didn't look at anything (arrive at LA). While moving to another state, some airlines doesn't require any document if you carry the cat with you. Alaska Airlines is one of them, we carried without any document.

Removal of Conditions

02/06/2021: Filed and package sent

02/10/2021: Received by USCIS

03/18/2021: NOA 1

07/01/2021: Biometrics waived

09/27/2011: Case approved, no interview (K1 visa)

Service Center: WAC

5 minutes ago, NikLR said:

there's different health certificates required for domestic travel than international.  

I know.     I was told by two different airline reps (from different airlines, not two from the same one) that because she's flying directly after arriving from international, they accept the International health certificates.     I'm really hoping they were both right because there's literally no way that I can get a domestic one done in the interval between her landing in Phoenix and us heading back north to the Midwest.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Just wanted to say best of luck flying home with your cat!! :luv: Poor kitty flying from Australia to the US, then has to get on another plane...I have traveled internationally with cats twice but only once all the way to the US. Highly depends on the cat, some travel better than others.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

7 minutes ago, millefleur said:

Just wanted to say best of luck flying home with your cat!! :luv: Poor kitty flying from Australia to the US, then has to get on another plane...I have traveled internationally with cats twice but only once all the way to the US. Highly depends on the cat, some travel better than others.

Thanks!   She's always been OK in the car - on longer drives I'd take her out of the crate and she would go sleep in the footwell behind the drivers seat or sometimes climb under my sweatshirt or something (not safe, I realise - but that's how I kept her warm the day I found her and she's always found being inside my sweatshirt the most comforting place) but she HATES the crate, so I imagine that she'll be stressed out for at least some of it until she just goes to sleep. I figure that once I've got her she'll be better because at least then she's with her mumma.   I'm just so anxious to see her now - Its been since the last week of October since I last got kitty snugs - I've started cooing at human babies to make myself feel better 😰

58 minutes ago, Gravlax said:

It is partially incorrect. While bringing my cat, I had all the documents but they didn't look at anything (arrive at LA). While moving to another state, some airlines doesn't require any document if you carry the cat with you. Alaska Airlines is one of them, we carried without any document.

BY LAW you must have a health certificate.  Dept of Ag isn't likely to stop airline passengers but they can.  It's not an airline requirement.  It's a Department of Agriculture requirement.   But people travel all the time without them. 

OP will have the international one which probably states final destination. :) 

OP enjoy your kitty snuggles. 

Edited by NikLR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.