MichiganSassy

Apply tourist visa for my mother: Indonesian citizen

69 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, iwir said:

I might want to add something more. Show that your mother has travelled to European countries or Australia and didn't overstay.  More travel to these countries, the better. It builds credential on her part that she has strong ties to Indonesia and doesn't try to immigrate.

Proof of house ownership can help but she can sell the house and move to the US after she gets her visa, she can quit her job in indonesia for a "better" job in the US, minor kids,  many people leave them to be taken care of by family members while the parents overstay in the US and look for jobs under table and send the money back to indonesia. Not to mention now she has a daughter who is a USC who will support her while she's in the US and she has a chance to adjust status as an LPR through you once she enters the country. Why bother to come home? Don't shoot the messenger but this practice happens and few Indonesians did that in the past. That's why new applicants must pay the price. If she can't get the visa to visit you, you can always visit her in Indonesia

Noted that. Yeah..I know for "this case". The reason why she visit us is because it is more expensive for me to go (I have a 4 year old daughter) then her to come visit. Thank you anyway for the insight. Really appreciate it 😊

event.png

Timeline
14 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

I don't think you understand how tourist visa applications work.  SHE needs to apply for the visa, on her own.  The idea that you are applying for her is a big red flag that she may have immigrant intent.  She will have to file the application in her home country, showing on the application strong ties to her country.  Having relatives in the US is already a big red flag for the IO, assuming immigrant intent, so to overcome that her ties to her home country will have to be stronger than others.  Unless she can change that it may be difficult or impossible for her to get a tourist visa to visit the US.  You can go and visit her.

What I mean by "applying" her visa is helping her to go online to fill in DS-160. Sorry if I misleading you to the fact that I am "applying" her visa. It is well known that if we pay for her visit then we need to submit paperwork that we actually have the fund to do that. I guess this is a hard concept by some members in here and think that I try to sponsor her visa 😞

Edited by Disyalam

event.png

Timeline
2 hours ago, Boiler said:

You will find plenty of posts on here regarding Parents applying for Tourist visa's.

They apply, you do not, you are not sponsoring them to immigrate.

I understand, thank you.

event.png

Timeline
2 hours ago, mepck said:

Hi Disyalam,

I am not experiencing for applying visa for parents. But I agreed with above statement that tourist visa didn’t require sponsorship but have to proof strong ties to return back to Indonesia.  

Provide statement from the NGO she work for that she is working as Director (your #8) and itinerary (plan to go and return), also last 3 months salary slip. You can also provide copy of properties she has. Prove that she traveled overseas other than Asia would be advantages. Applying in other country if she is residing in Indonesia, I don’t think it would be possible (cmiiw).

I am Indonesian, applied tourist visa in Malaysia back in 2016 and granted, but i was working in Malaysia that time.

Goodluck!😀

I agree with all of this. 

Also, having two minor children might actually be an obstacle and will not help her application for the reason iwir gave (other family members can help out, and she will move to the USA and send money back to support everyone). 

Honestly, the whole process for Indonesians seems like a ####### shoot to me. A friend's mom from Borneo owned her house and had an Ok income (by Indonesian standards), and somehow got a tourist visa. I am guessing she got approved because her children were adults, and she had a very simple travel plan (visiting the US for 2 weeks to see her daughter graduate). Meanwhile, her son-in-law, who made quite a bit more money than her and also owned a home, didn't get approved. I'm guessing it was because he is 20something. 

Good luck! 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline
2 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

I agree with all of this. 

Also, having two minor children might actually be an obstacle and will not help her application for the reason iwir gave (other family members can help out, and she will move to the USA and send money back to support everyone). 

Honestly, the whole process for Indonesians seems like a ####### shoot to me. A friend's mom from Borneo owned her house and had an Ok income (by Indonesian standards), and somehow got a tourist visa. I am guessing she got approved because her children were adults, and she had a very simple travel plan (visiting the US for 2 weeks to see her daughter graduate). Meanwhile, her son-in-law, who made quite a bit more money than her and also owned a home, didn't get approved. I'm guessing it was because he is 20something. 

Good luck! 

This is what I feel when my mom get rejected first time! I think its because Indonesia is one of the third world country, and knowing how the officer threat my mom just mind blowing. I had great experience with my K1 visa while ago so I do not expect such a drastic treatment.

Anyway, she will still try to apply for tourist visa on March. We will see what happen *finger cross*

and yes, thank you and have a great day! 😊

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Disyalam said:

What I mean by "applying" her visa is helping her to go online to fill in DS-160. Sorry if I misleading you to the fact that I am "applying" her visa. It is well known that if we pay for her visit then we need to submit paperwork that we actually have the fund to do that. I guess this is a hard concept by some members in here and think that I try to sponsor her visa 😞

Best to just let her show she can pay her own way.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Disyalam said:

It is well known that if we pay for her visit then we need to submit paperwork that we actually have the fund to do that. 😞

Nope.

My wife's parents are here right now.  We paid for their flights, but where the funds come from is never an issue.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Neonred said:

Nope.

My wife's parents are here right now.  We paid for their flights, but where the funds come from is never an issue.

maybe because they are from Russia..idk. But I have been talking to many people that similar to my case and they said proof of fund is always good to have 😕

Edited by Disyalam

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Disyalam said:

maybe because they are from Russia..idk. But I have been talking to many people that similar to my case and they said proof of fund is always good to have 😕

It's also very difficult for Russians to get approved for tourist visas so I doubt it is a country specific issue. You can bring as much proof as you want but the CO is not obligated to ask to look at it during the interview. If it makes you feel more mentally sound to prepare a bunch of supporting docs, go for it. Just be aware that it doesn't guarantee an approval.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline
20 minutes ago, millefleur said:

It's also very difficult for Russians to get approved for tourist visas so I doubt it is a country specific issue. You can bring as much proof as you want but the CO is not obligated to ask to look at it during the interview. If it makes you feel more mentally sound to prepare a bunch of supporting docs, go for it. Just be aware that it doesn't guarantee an approval.

That is for sure...nothing is guarantee. I guess the supporting documents are just good to have my mom's mind at ease 😐

event.png

To be honest if her situation hasn't changed since 2017 and now you're an USC, her chance to get the visa is slim to none. The burden to prove that she can pay her trip herself and be able to support herself during the visit and won't overstay looks like an uphill battle. But as usual you can always invite her and ask her to bring as many as supporting documents that she could bring to the interview.

K1 VISA: Done in 346 days

Spoiler

Jan 5, 2018: Preparation Started                                                                                   October 31, 2018: Medical Check Up                                                           

Jan 19, 2018: I-129F Packet Sent                                                                                  Nov 2, 2018: Consulate Received                                                                              

Jan 22, 2018: Electronic NOA1 Received                                                                     Nov 6, 2018: Packet 4 Received

Feb 1, 2018: Hard Copy NOA1 Received                                                                       Dec 6, 2018: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

Oct 2, 2018: NOA2 (254 DAYS after NOA1) ***No RFE                                             Dec 11, 2018: Visa Received

Oct 16, 2018: NVC Received                                                                                           Dec 17, 2018: POE (11 Months and 12 days since Starting K1)

October 30, 2018: NVC Left

AOS | SF Local Office: Done in 357 days

Spoiler

Dec 17, 2018: POE                                                                                                                March 5, 2019: Biometrics at ASC in SF

Dec 27, 2018: Apply for SSN                                                                                               March 5, 2019: I-485 and I-765 Status Changed to Fingerprint Review Was Complete 

Jan 11, 2019: Wedding                                                                                                        May 15, 2019: I-485 Status Changed to Case Is Ready to be Scheduled for Interview (New Site Only)

Jan 14, 2019: AOS Preparation Started (1 Year 9 Days Since Starting K1)                May 23, 2019: EAD/AP Approved (97 days since NOA1)

Jan 15, 2019: SSN Card Received                                                                                     December 6, 2019: EAD/AP Renewal sent

Jan 29, 2019: Marriage Certificate Picked Up                                                                 December 9, 2019: EAD/AP Renewal NOA1

Feb 5, 2019: AOS Package Sent                                                                                         December 23, 2019: I-485 Case is Scheduled for Interview (Old Site Only)

Feb 11, 2019: NOA1                                                                                                             January 27, 2020: Interview in San Jose Field Office (Approved)

Feb 19, 2019: NOA1 Received by Mail                                                                              February 3, 2020 : Green Card in Hand

Feb 22, 2019: Biometrics Notification Received by Mail

ROC | California Service Center: Done in 410 days

Nov 2, 2021: ROC Package Sent

Nov 5, 2021: Package delivered

Nov 8, 2021: Text received (WAC)

Nov 9, 2021: Check cashed

Nov 12, 2021: Hard copy of NOA1 received

April 20, 2022: Biometric is waived

Dec 9, 2022: Card is being produced (No interview)

Dec 13, 2022: Case was approved

Dec 16, 2022: GC on hand

📊 I-751 November 2021 Filers Google Sheet 📅

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vonQCJgs9HODO2Y1DdSs3HNyL_FRnMfenlIeDQAUpWg/edit#gid=806913795

Timeline
15 minutes ago, iwir said:

To be honest if her situation hasn't changed since 2017 and now you're an USC, her chance to get the visa is slim to none. The burden to prove that she can pay her trip herself and be able to support herself during the visit and won't overstay looks like an uphill battle. But as usual you can always invite her and ask her to bring as many as supporting documents that she could bring to the interview.

I heard from people that being USC actually help parents to get their tourist visa easier. I guess I have been mislead 😓

event.png

13 minutes ago, Disyalam said:

I heard from people that being USC actually help parents to get their tourist visa easier. I guess I have been mislead 😓

I agree with iwir on this, the “problem” (from a tourist visa perspective) is that if your mom “changes her mind” and decides to stay and adjust status, as a immediate relative of a USC there is no penalty for her to do so. Unfortunately there have been a lot of people who have “decided” to do this and yes, many of them have even left minor children behind, so there is a difficult precedent.

by the way the thinking is not whether or not it’s a third world country, but what people from that country have tended to do. Unfair on anyone else with good intentions, yes, but it’s one of the few ways COs really have to judge. This is why refusal rates can vary dramatically among “third world countries”, even neighboring ones. If a lot of people from a particular country tend to overstay, it makes it harded it get tourist visas there.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I agree with iwir on this, the “problem” (from a tourist visa perspective) is that if your mom “changes her mind” and decides to stay and adjust status, as a immediate relative of a USC there is no penalty for her to do so. Unfortunately there have been a lot of people who have “decided” to do this and yes, many of them have even left minor children behind, so there is a difficult precedent.

by the way the thinking is not whether or not it’s a third world country, but what people from that country have tended to do. Unfair on anyone else with good intentions, yes, but it’s one of the few ways COs really have to judge. This is why refusal rates can vary dramatically among “third world countries”, even neighboring ones. If a lot of people from a particular country tend to overstay, it makes it harded it get tourist visas there.

I agree with your post. It makes it harder for "newbie" to get their tourist visa because what happen, generally with people that get their tourist visa and abuse it. Abuse in here does not mean they overstay or just being illegal immigrant per say...

Well...I think we need to still try anyway. The thought of losing $160 is haunting, but if we never try then my mom will never be here ☹️

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.