Laritya

Waiting together after NOA2

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi all! 

I have a random question. I am currently visiting my fiancé. Last Thursday, we received the news that we were approved and got our NOA2! I was thinking about staying here with him until his interview and then flying back together (I know that this can potentially be quite a few months, and that’s okay). A friend of ours told us today that she heard that that isn’t allowed. Does anybody have any experience with this? Would it be okay for me to wait here with him in his country?  Or do I need to leave?

Thanks so much and best wishes to all of you still waiting!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Laritya said:

Hi all! 

I have a random question. I am currently visiting my fiancé. Last Thursday, we received the news that we were approved and got our NOA2! I was thinking about staying here with him until his interview and then flying back together (I know that this can potentially be quite a few months, and that’s okay). A friend of ours told us today that she heard that that isn’t allowed. Does anybody have any experience with this? Would it be okay for me to wait here with him in his country?  Or do I need to leave?

Ask your friend where she heard that...because it is 100% false.  It is true that you might not be allowed to accompany him inside the consulate during the interview (varies by consulate), but many people travel back to the US with their fiances..........good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, amerikelinka said:

Do you mean not allowed to wait with your fiance or not allowed to attend the interview with him?

I meant as in not be allowed to wait here with him while we gather the affidavit of support, wait for an interview, etc. The consulate allows fiancé(e)s to attend interviews. 

Timeline
33 minutes ago, missileman said:

Ask your friend where she heard that...because it is 100% false.  It is true that you might not be allowed to accompany him inside the consulate during the interview (varies by consulate), but many people travel back to the US with their fiances..........good luck.

Thanks. She married an American 10 years ago and when they did the CR-1 visa I guess there was some rule that he couldn’t stay there with her? I’m not entirely sure, but she insisted on us looking up any rules so that we aren’t refused.

1 hour ago, Deanwinchester said:

Why wouldn’t you be allowed??

Apparently there was some kind of a rule? It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me either. Maybe just so that it doesn’t look like we got married while we were waiting for his interview? I’m not 100% sure.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
3 hours ago, Laritya said:

Hi all! 

You can stay! :) My now husband was actually waiting outside the consulate when I had my interview last year and the officer was really nice when I said that. Tbh I think they love to hear those stories!

Timeline
1 hour ago, C90 said:

You can stay! :) My now husband was actually waiting outside the consulate when I had my interview last year and the officer was really nice when I said that. Tbh I think they love to hear those stories!

I was planning on attending the interview – they allow it. But after getting the NOA2 news last week I was thinking of just staying here with my fiancé until he has his interview instead of going back to the states and then flying again when he has his interview. I was worried that for some reason that wouldn’t be accepted or it was frowned upon..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Just now, Laritya said:

I was planning on attending the interview – they allow it. But after getting the NOA2 news last week I was thinking of just staying here with my fiancé until he has his interview instead of going back to the states and then flying again when he has his interview. I was worried that for some reason that wouldn’t be accepted or it was frowned upon..

Nope, do whatever you want :) Just make sure you'll still reach the 100% poverty income when you're staying in his country for a while for the I-134 once he has his interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Most of us won't know if you're allowed to stay that long or not, simply because we don't know Russia's laws and rules regarding tourists (which I assume you would categorize as?). 

If there is an issue it will solely be Russian (ie how long you're allowed to stay in Russia on whatever visa you're using), not American. Most of us know American visas, we don't know much or anything at all about Russian ones. There's probably a Russian forum where you can ask.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
14 hours ago, Laritya said:

I meant as in not be allowed to wait here with him while we gather the affidavit of support, wait for an interview, etc. The consulate allows fiancé(e)s to attend interviews. 

I mean if you have all the assets needed to pass the poverty line for the K1 without working then you are good to go.

Maybe you are not allowed to stay in Russia for a long time? Do US citizens need visa to go to Russia? How long your visa is valid?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
14 hours ago, Laritya said:

Thanks. She married an American 10 years ago and when they did the CR-1 visa I guess there was some rule that he couldn’t stay there with her? I’m not entirely sure, but she insisted on us looking up any rules so that we aren’t refused.

Apparently there was some kind of a rule? It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me either. Maybe just so that it doesn’t look like we got married while we were waiting for his interview? I’m not 100% sure.

I think the CR1 does have a U.S. domicile requirement for the USC, but as far as I know the K1 has no such requirement.

2018 K1 Filing to Approval: 322 days (RFE 29 Days)

Spoiler

I-129F mailed: Jan 26 2018

NOA1: Jan 29 2018 (old site), Feb 2 2018 (new site)

RFE: Aug 30 2018 (old site updated 8/30; new site 8/31 w/email and text)

RFE hard copy: rec'd 9/4; ret'd 9/6 (old site updated 9/7; new site 9/10, no text/email)

NOA2: Oct 5 2018 [249 days]  (old site updated 10/5; new site 10/7, no text/email)

Case #: Oct 31 2018 [27 days] (called to get number, no email from NVC)

Left NVC: Nov 13 2018 

Consulate Rec'd (DHL): Nov 19 2018

CEAC 'Ready' status: Nov 29 2018

Interview: Dec 17 2018 [Approved!]

POE: Jan 10 2019 [Los Angeles]

Marriage: Jan 12 2019 :wub::dance:

2019 AOS Filing to Approval: 81 Days (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

AOS Mailed: Feb 19 2019

NOA1: Feb 25 2019 (I-485, I-765, I-131)

Biometrics Appt. Letter Rcv'd: Mar 8 2019

Biometrics Appointment: Mar 20 2019

Recv'd Interview Appt. Notice: Apr 15 2019 [I-485] (ready to schedule 4/10, scheduled 4/11; old site)

Interview: May 17 2019 [Cleveland, OH]

Approved: May 17 2019  :dance:

Green Card Received: May 24 2019

2021 ROC Filing to Approval: 534 Days (LIN; No RFE, No Interview)

Spoiler

ROC Mailed: Mar 5 2021 (delivered 3/12)

NOA1: Apr 5 2021 (txt rcvd 4/7, check cashed 4/7, mail rcvd 4/9) 

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Apr 30 2021

Approved: Sep 21 2022 :dance:

Green Card Received: Sep 28 2022

2022 N400 Filing to Oath: 154 Days (Cleveland Field Office; No RFE)

Spoiler

N400 Submitted: Jun 16 2022 (online)

NOA1: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Interview Scheduled: Sep 6 2022 (cancelled due to A-file not arrived in time)

Interview Re-scheduled: Oct 21 2022

Approved: Oct 21 2022 :dance:

Oath Ceremony: Nov 16 2022 :wow:🇺🇸

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Most of us won't know if you're allowed to stay that long or not, simply because we don't know Russia's laws and rules regarding tourists (which I assume you would categorize as?). 

It's likely the OP has a 3-year multi-entry tourist visa (or can get one without much difficulty; that's what I've got); that lets you stay for up to six months at a time. So they're probably okay.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.