Jeanne Adil

refused at embassy level

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

this really is for another who is to heartbroken  to post 

This VJ  member had been told approved and given the "welcome to US letter" and has been  in AP  2 months

then the following from embassy email was received

thank you for your e-mail inquiry.  Please  note  that this case was refused and the file returned to USCIS for further  review   January 10th 2019.The decision  to send he petition back for additional review was not taken lightly.

I should add the member is from north Morocco and had to fill out the dreaded ds5535

but he works for government of Morocco,  is educated  and teaches English and was not at all worried

I know K1 die when returned 

my question is 

What is the difference between refused and denied? 

Is this just the words  used by one singular person?

or is a refusal a serious issue?

Thanks for reading as i have no answer for my friend except marry and do CR1

Edited by adil-rafa

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Real question is, was it 'refused' or 'denied' because of the interview, or lack of evidence of a relationship, or red flags in the case.... or was it late refused during AP because of something they found during possible security/background checks. Those are big things to think about because if it's the latter, don't know what process can  be done to change the evidence they found. Maybe FOIA about it? Don't know if they would get specifics though.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Refused and denied refer to the same thing.

They need to find out the reason for the refusal...did something come up in background checks (possible prior marriage or already is married)? Did somebody overrule the CO regarding the bona fide relationship? Did new evidence become discovered?

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

6 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

It's the same

6 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

You must find out why he was refused. It pointless to do anything else until you find the problem and fix it. Some problems are fixable and some aren't. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I am sorry to read that a poster was denied......In my mind, this just demonstrates that a visa is not really approved until it is issued.  I hope the poster determines the reason for denial and can overcome this terrible turn of events.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Real question is, was it 'refused' or 'denied' because of the interview, or lack of evidence of a relationship, or red flags in the case.... or was it late refused during AP because of something they found during possible security/background checks. Those are big things to think about because if it's the latter, don't know what process can  be done to change the evidence they found. Maybe FOIA about it? Don't know if they would get specifics though.

what i  wrote is all they know

There is an  age difference but not as big as ours 

Can't believe someone working  in a school to teach English and paid by the government has security issues

i had told him earlier that all living in Fes and north seem to be getting these requests to do ds5535 and i thought the security checks are done back  here by Homeland security  so i was not surprised by the case being returned 

but the word refused was new even for Casablanca

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

You have to find out the reason for this refusal.

Most likely background check may have given some info that could have influenced decision.

As for the teacher’s fate, I am also a state school teacher who got married to an American but this means nothing to immigration.

I received the same scrutiny as any other profession.

Just try to find out the reason for the refusal.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The precise word does not matter that action does.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sounds like the advice you give in all cases where one is from Morocco--marry and file CR-1 as most K-1s are denied in Morocco.  If your friend is confident that there are no issues that may have come up in a thorough background check, review of social media, etc., or any issue of inadmissability like criminal background or prior marriage not resolved, prior visa fraud on record, and so on, CR-1 should work for them as it has for others from the same country.  What were the circumstances of their relationship?  Number of visits to spend time face to face?  Any issues related to the petitioner?

Timeline

thank you to all for answers as if refused and denied are the same 'that is all i needed

i was afraid refused was stronger issue

as those of us going thru Casablanca will say over and over

when K1 is denied ,the CO  just says visa denied

you can ask why and they hand out the white 221g paper which says not eligible at this time

they do not give a reason

and i asked USCIS in 2007 with a letter to tell me why/no answer

so we are at a loss there

all we know for the northern areas of morocco is the ds 5535 is given and it takes a year for homeland security to investigate 

this is because of the big terrorists groups arrested in Fes and the north

Edited by adil-rafa

Timeline
5 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Sounds like the advice you give in all cases where one is from Morocco--marry and file CR-1 as most K-1s are denied in Morocco.  If your friend is confident that there are no issues that may have come up in a thorough background check, review of social media, etc., or any issue of inadmissability like criminal background or prior marriage not resolved, prior visa fraud on record, and so on, CR-1 should work for them as it has for others from the same country.  What were the circumstances of their relationship?  Number of visits to spend time face to face?  Any issues related to the petitioner?

that is what surprises me about morocco

this person is squecky clean   

age difference but neither has been married

clean background

and doesn't  even use facebook 

several  visits

seems it is just the area the moroccan is from

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

First time I have seen a refusal under DS 5535, I am going to assume something came up. What is impossible to say.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

If you do ever hear back with more info on the reason why (FOIA request may be needed), please update the thread.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

9 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

this really is for another who is to heartbroken  to post 

This VJ  member had been told approved and given the "welcome to US letter" and has been  in AP  2 months

then the following from embassy email was received

thank you for your e-mail inquiry.  Please  note  that this case was refused and the file returned to USCIS for further  review   January 10th 2019.The decision  to send he petition back for additional review was not taken lightly.

I should add the member is from north Morocco and had to fill out the dreaded ds5535

but he works for government of Morocco,  is educated  and teaches English and was not at all worried

I know K1 die when returned 

my question is 

What is a Ds5535?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.