EnglishLove

Getting court records in UK

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello,

I'm trying to obtain court records for a juvenile case for my fiance from the UK. It was 10 years ago so I know they may have already destroyed records but hoping for at least a judgment. Any help on where to go for this? Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

If this is for the interview, you normally only need to order the Subject Access Report in addition to the police certificate from ACRO. It would reveal any spent or juvenile conviction details. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

If this is for the interview, you normally only need to order the Subject Access Report in addition to the police certificate from ACRO. It would reveal any spent or juvenile conviction details. 

I have the Police Certificate and I have the SAR which say the same exact thing. the SAR just has his additional address and jobs and everything with it. But on the Police Certificate, it shows the date, the charge, and the disposal of 9 months probation and no costs ordered which is exactly the same thing the SAR shows. Someone told me that they had a juvenile case over 15 years ago and they were denied or got an RFE because he had to show the actual judgment of it being closed.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Pooley said:

Someone told me that they had a juvenile case over 15 years ago and they were denied or got an RFE because he had to show the actual judgment of it being closed.

Did that person interview in London? I'm not aware of anybody in the last 10 years who needed more for a London interview. 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Okay thank you. I have both. Do you know how long they are good for? I've been told a year and then I've been told 6 months.

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Pooley said:

Okay thank you. I have both. Do you know how long they are good for? I've been told a year and then I've been told 6 months.

London embassy website says 12 months. 

On a side note, the police certificate used to not reveal any spent convictions and the SAR was required to get the info. I have noticed lately that people say they have the exact same information. I think ACRO has made a slight change and now asks if the police report is for immigration. That would explain why they send you a report with all the hidden stuff on it. If it was for employment, they would leave off things that were stepped down or expired.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

London embassy website says 12 months. 

On a side note, the police certificate used to not reveal any spent convictions and the SAR was required to get the info. I have noticed lately that people say they have the exact same information. I think ACRO has made a slight change and now asks if the police report is for immigration. That would explain why they send you a report with all the hidden stuff on it. If it was for employment, they would leave off things that were stepped down or expired.

Oh okay. I may need to reorder then. We ordered it last May. And yes, we had to have a police certificate for his work, and it shows No Record. When we went to get it for the visa, there's a box asking if it's not a visa or immigration, and it shows everything from cautions and juvenile record along with the dates, charges, and disposal. I wonder if the SAR is even needed since they say the exact same thing?

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Pooley said:

. I wonder if the SAR is even needed since they say the exact same thing?

Probably not anymore since they started asking if it is for immigration and started putting it on the police certificate.

I think you're going to find London is more chill than everything you read in the K1 forums and progress threads.  You know you don't need ongoing proof of relationship for London. They basically want to see her Documents like passport, police certificate, affidavit of support and have a short chat. 

Timeline
10 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Probably not anymore since they started asking if it is for immigration and started putting it on the police certificate.

I think you're going to find London is more chill than everything you read in the K1 forums and progress threads.  You know you don't need ongoing proof of relationship for London. They basically want to see her Documents like passport, police certificate, affidavit of support and have a short chat. 

Well that would be a lot easier. I've been so confused because the sight said you need the court records and the SAR said that same exact thing as the police certificate. I really hope they are chill. I am actually the petitioner from the US and my fiance is from the UK. Really the only thing I've been stressing about is his criminal record since they count cautions. But I think if they will just listen to him they won't see it as an issue, at least that's my hope lol. 

I do have another quick question... If I don't need a sponsor, are we still required to fill out the affidavit of support?

Timeline
42 minutes ago, Pooley said:

I do have another quick question... If I don't need a sponsor, are we still required to fill out the affidavit of support?

I don't understand the question. You are the American so you don't have a sponsor. You are the sponsor who fills out an affidavit of support I-134

Timeline
Just now, Wuozopo said:

I don't understand the question. You are the American so you don't have a sponsor. You are the sponsor who fills out an affidavit of support I-134

I am the American and I make enough money that I don't need a sponsor. Maybe I'm confused lol. To fill out the i-134, would I be the sponsor?

Just now, Pooley said:

I am the American and I make enough money that I don't need a sponsor. Maybe I'm confused lol. To fill out the i-134, would I be the sponsor?

As the American you are the sole and primary sponsor. In cases where the American does not make enough money, London allows for a co-sponsor to be used. And they even allow for cases for the UK citizen to self-sponsor. If you make enough money to sponsor then YOU must fill out the I-134 and provide the financial evidence.

As for the first question, advised in the previous threads your fiancé has a more complicated history. You may be just fine with police certificate + SAR as many are. However, they could theoretically ask for other documents if there is a concern. I think this is why you were advised to try and obtain what you could.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
Just now, Pooley said:

I think the wording is confusing me. The brit needs the sponsor. You keep saying YOU (USC) don't need a sponsor. Do you mean you won't have to find another sponsor or joint sponsor for your British fiancé?

If you have enough income, then you fill out an I-134 to assure London your fiancé will not become a public charge. 

If you lack enough income, then you find somebody else to fill out an I-134 to assure he will not become a public charge.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I think the wording is confusing me. The brit needs the sponsor. You keep saying YOU (USC) don't need a sponsor. Do you mean you won't have to find another sponsor or joint sponsor for your British fiancé?

If you have enough income, then you fill out an I-134 to assure London your fiancé will not become a public charge. 

If you lack enough income, then you find somebody else to fill out an I-134 to assure he will not become a public charge.

Oh okay, that's what I thought but I was confused for a minute. Yes, I am the sole sponsor then. Thank you!

Timeline
1 minute ago, yuna628 said:

As for the first question, advised in the previous threads your fiancé has a more complicated history. You may be just fine with police certificate + SAR as many are. However, they could theoretically ask for other documents if there is a concern. I think this is why you were advised to try and obtain what you could.

OP--Concerning this ^^^^

If there is more to this than one juvenile caution and you want to find more documentation, you can ask for a Memorandum of Conviction.

http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/crown-court-record/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.