John & Rose

1040 no longer accepted?

136 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

This was just put up...I trust this source

Income tax return or IRS transcripts which is needed? 

This is for US embassies ONLY.

US State Dept made a change and they will no long accept a copy of an income tax return, they are now wanting a IRS INCOME TAX RETURN transcript from the IRS (see link below. ) 

Why the Change? i don't know right now. 

So far this has only been reported as an issue the the US embassy Manila, but i believe it applies to all US embassies. 

If you have a interview schedule if at all possible i would recommend getting a IRS income TAX RETURN transcript from any sponsor and or co sponsor. 

Will you have an issue if you do not have an IRS income tax return, i am not sure since I have only heard about that at the US embassy Manila. 

Does this apply to K1 visa's? not officially since the K1 is non immigrant and they can not officially require the I-864 and or income return documents. BUT i would still recommend that K1's follow it and get a IRS income return TRANSCRIPT.

When was this change? there is no official letter, memo or notice, they just changed their website sometime between Jan 7th 2019 and Oct 2018. 

I am still looking into this, but for now my recommendation is get your IRS income TAX RETURN transcript if you are a sponsor or co sponsor (joint sponsor/ co sponsor is the same thing.

Is a w2 or proof of income required? again i am still looking into this. but for now send in the w2, why? due to this statement on NVC's website 
"If you filed jointly: If you filed taxes under the “married filing jointly” category, you must also submit your Form(s) W-2 or schedules(s) from the most recent tax year."

Why the difference between USCIS and the NVC and the embassies? they are two different gov't department so they follow their own rules. NVC/ Embassies have just decided to use the I-864/a/w and I-134 instead of making their own forms. 
if you look on NVC's website it tell you to review USCIS website on the I-864 but still you have to follow the NVC website. 
" Use the information in these FAQs and on this website with, not instead of, the detailed instructions for the Affidavit of Support forms on USCIS’s website.

Sources for this are in the links below, There is nothing specifically telling of the change of no longer taking copies of the income tax return, and them wanting the IRS income RETURN Transcripts. they only removed the OPTION of allowing you to show copies of the most recent income tax return. 

How many IRS income RETURN transcripts are needed? this requirement remains the same/ has not changed, 
ONLY THE MOST CURRENT IRS income RETURN transcript is needed to be shown at NVC and the embassy. 

NVC link
https://travel.state.gov/…/step-4-collect-financial-documen…

IRS income RETURN transcripts
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

I am still going to call bull manure!

I was on the USCIS website, which is where USEM's link directs you to from their checklist ... I posted the links and the info from the actual instructions, nothing anywhere about not accepting a tax return.  If this is a new policy, it is a secret ...  but I will stay with it is bull manure until someone can show me something from an official website.

NVC does state transcript .. but that is them.  USCIS and USEM both still list tax return

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 minute ago, EliAnon said:

What should I do then? Feb 14 is our interview date! Should I go into h&R block and get taxes done quickly? I dont really know....

cause once again she has my w2’s, i134 form, note from employer, and pay stubs

They will not require your 2018 tax information until after April 15th. Make sure she has your transcript from 2017 though.

2 minutes ago, EliAnon said:

What should I do then? Feb 14 is our interview date! Should I go into h&R block and get taxes done quickly? I dont really know....

cause once again she has my w2’s, i134 form, note from employer, and pay stubs

It sounds like last years transcripts with the current paystub.  Transcripts are really easy and this isn't a bad change.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

I was on the USCIS website, which is where USEM's link directs you to from their checklist ... I posted the links and the info from the actual instructions, nothing anywhere about not accepting a tax return.  If this is a new policy, it is a secret ...  but I will stay with it is bull manure until someone can show me something from an official website.

If you go down to step 4 on John's link under gather evidence it specifies Tax transcripts and gives no other options. This is for immigrant visa's K-1s might be different.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

This was just put up...I trust this source

Income tax return or IRS transcripts which is needed? 

This is for US embassies ONLY.

US State Dept made a change and they will no long accept a copy of an income tax return, they are now wanting a IRS INCOME TAX RETURN transcript from the IRS (see link below. ) 

Why the Change? i don't know right now. 

So far this has only been reported as an issue the the US embassy Manila, but i believe it applies to all US embassies. 

If you have a interview schedule if at all possible i would recommend getting a IRS income TAX RETURN transcript from any sponsor and or co sponsor. 

Will you have an issue if you do not have an IRS income tax return, i am not sure since I have only heard about that at the US embassy Manila. 

Does this apply to K1 visa's? not officially since the K1 is non immigrant and they can not officially require the I-864 and or income return documents. BUT i would still recommend that K1's follow it and get a IRS income return TRANSCRIPT.

When was this change? there is no official letter, memo or notice, they just changed their website sometime between Jan 7th 2019 and Oct 2018. 

I am still looking into this, but for now my recommendation is get your IRS income TAX RETURN transcript if you are a sponsor or co sponsor (joint sponsor/ co sponsor is the same thing.

Is a w2 or proof of income required? again i am still looking into this. but for now send in the w2, why? due to this statement on NVC's website 
"If you filed jointly: If you filed taxes under the “married filing jointly” category, you must also submit your Form(s) W-2 or schedules(s) from the most recent tax year."

Why the difference between USCIS and the NVC and the embassies? they are two different gov't department so they follow their own rules. NVC/ Embassies have just decided to use the I-864/a/w and I-134 instead of making their own forms. 
if you look on NVC's website it tell you to review USCIS website on the I-864 but still you have to follow the NVC website. 
" Use the information in these FAQs and on this website with, not instead of, the detailed instructions for the Affidavit of Support forms on USCIS’s website.

Sources for this are in the links below, There is nothing specifically telling of the change of no longer taking copies of the income tax return, and them wanting the IRS income RETURN Transcripts. they only removed the OPTION of allowing you to show copies of the most recent income tax return. 

How many IRS income RETURN transcripts are needed? this requirement remains the same/ has not changed, 
ONLY THE MOST CURRENT IRS income RETURN transcript is needed to be shown at NVC and the embassy. 

NVC link
https://travel.state.gov/…/step-4-collect-financial-documen…

IRS income RETURN transcripts
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Mysterious Jan 7 policy change and we had a jan 24 interview 

YMMV

2 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

I agree.  If there is a policy change it would be reflected somewhere.  The big picture is that this is actually easier in the long run.  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

They will not require your 2018 tax information until after April 15th. Make sure she has your transcript from 2017 though.

1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

It sounds like last years transcripts with the current paystub.  Transcripts are really easy and this isn't a bad change.

But the problem is I didn’t work during college, I was a full time student

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

They don't require the 2018 tax return, but that is not what or why he is asking ...  and yes IF he completes his 2018 tax return he can submit it at the interview.  He has reasons for asking this ... 

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Just now, EliAnon said:

But the problem is I didn’t work during college, I was a full time student

I know a few people who haven't filed taxes is a few years too.  The more I think of it the more this may make sense.  

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
2 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

I agree.  If there is a policy change it would be reflected somewhere.  The big picture is that this is actually easier in the long run.  

I totally agree with you.  I used the transcripts as they are easy to acquire.   

Embassy for a time didn't like the transcripts, they wanted the 1040 and they weren't shy about letting it be know either.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

They don't require the 2018 tax return, but that is not what or why he is asking ...  and yes IF he completes his 2018 tax return he can submit it at the interview.  He has reasons for asking this ... 

So how can I quickly get together my 2018 taxes/transcripts and get them to her before Sunday? HR block? CPA?

Timeline

I totally agree with you.  I used the transcripts as they are easy to acquire.   

Embassy for a time didn't like the transcripts, they wanted the 1040 and they weren't shy about letting it be know either.

Since she has my paystubs, w2, etc; will it matter if my transcripts from 2017 show nothing? Idk

1 minute ago, EliAnon said:

So how can I quickly get together my 2018 taxes/transcripts and get them to her before Sunday? HR block? CPA?

I'm not sure how quickly the transcripts get added to the site?  Is that months after they are submitted or is it as soon as the ITR is accepted?

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
4 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

I know a few people who haven't filed taxes is a few years too.  The more I think of it the more this may make sense.  

Why does it make more sense after what I said?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, EliAnon said:

You can complete your 1040 tax return, sign, date it .. make copies before dropping the original in the mail to the IRS.

OR 

Use an online service .. then you can send copies of that to your fiancee

You won't be able to get transcripts until the IRS has completed your return.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.