Toffs

Pre-submission checklist. Should I include proof of domicile wit I-129F?

9 posts in this topic

I (petitioner) am finally in the last stages of preparing to submit my I-129F. Me and my fiance currently live together abroad and have decided to opt for the K1 rather than CR1. An issue I've seen brought up constantly is that I will need to provide proof that I consider the US my domicile given that I have been living abroad with a foreign employer for several years now. My application currently states that my foreign address is my present address and the US is my mailing address. This is evident in the I-129F as well as on signed statements (ex. letter of intent to marry, cover letter).

My question now, should I include proof to establish US domicile with the I-129F? I'm not sure if it's necessary at this stage but I also think it wouldn't hurt anyway. The instructions don't explicitly ask for proof but I'm worried that if I leave it out my application might be denied since my address is abroad.

I already have my proof ready to go so it's just a matter of whether I include it in my cover letter contents and the shipment. Currently I have the following in my initial I-129F checklist:

1. Cover letter indicating table of contents

2. Copy of US passport + birth certificate

3. Recent passport photos of me and my fiance

4. Completed I-129F form (still doing some final proof reads here)

5. Extensive proof of meeting in person and ongoing relationship (photos, apartment contracts, 3 year travel itineraries, statements from friends in both of our home countries)

6. Proof of intention to marry (signed statements, engagement ring receipt)

7. Proof of intention to establish US domicile for petitioner (conversations with potential US employers, statements from family, friends, myself, US tax statements, US bank accounts, US phone number)

Also does anyone have tips on actually packaging this? I currently have my application split into 3 manila folders, each with an accompanying cover letter itemizing and explaining the contents. My plan was to just rubber band the 3 folders together with items 1-4 at the top. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

I don't think the petitioner needs proof of residency.  There is no specific way to put it together. I divided my into 4 categories . 

1. Important document: ( all the required documents) 

2. Proof of meeting  in person ( all evidences)

3. Proof of ongoing relationship  ( supporting document)

4. The application  (I129f)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You do need to have filed taxes for period work outside the US /tax exempt is over $100,000

Is the US residency a PO  box or residence?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Toffs said:

I (petitioner) am finally in the last stages of preparing to submit my I-129F. Me and my fiance currently live together abroad and have decided to opt for the K1 rather than CR1. An issue I've seen brought up constantly is that I will need to provide proof that I consider the US my domicile given that I have been living abroad with a foreign employer for several years now. My application currently states that my foreign address is my present address and the US is my mailing address. This is evident in the I-129F as well as on signed statements (ex. letter of intent to marry, cover letter).

My question now, should I include proof to establish US domicile with the I-129F? I'm not sure if it's necessary at this stage but I also think it wouldn't hurt anyway. The instructions don't explicitly ask for proof but I'm worried that if I leave it out my application might be denied since my address is abroad.

I already have my proof ready to go so it's just a matter of whether I include it in my cover letter contents and the shipment. Currently I have the following in my initial I-129F checklist:

1. Cover letter indicating table of contents

2. Copy of US passport + birth certificate

3. Recent passport photos of me and my fiance

4. Completed I-129F form (still doing some final proof reads here)

5. Extensive proof of meeting in person and ongoing relationship (photos, apartment contracts, 3 year travel itineraries, statements from friends in both of our home countries)

6. Proof of intention to marry (signed statements, engagement ring receipt)

7. Proof of intention to establish US domicile for petitioner (conversations with potential US employers, statements from family, friends, myself, US tax statements, US bank accounts, US phone number)

Also does anyone have tips on actually packaging this? I currently have my application split into 3 manila folders, each with an accompanying cover letter itemizing and explaining the contents. My plan was to just rubber band the 3 folders together with items 1-4 at the top. 

I could be mistaken but i am fairly certain the US domicile question doesnt surface until the interview at the consulate,  if at all.  You will have 7+ months until that happens.

Package everything organized but unbound. payment on top then cover letter. The instructions say dont include non-paper items because they have to scan / digitize everything when it is received.... just like filing a 1040 by mail, make it easy for them to process.

18 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

You do need to have filed taxes for period work outside the US /tax exempt is over $100,000

Is the US residency a PO  box or residence?

Yes I have filed all my taxes. Copies of my tax returns are included in my proof of domicile proof. US address is a residence

19 hours ago, accumbyte said:

What country? Does it have an international USCIS office? If it does, then you may qualify (after marriage) for the way faster direct filing of the I-130 petition.

Unfortunately USCIS isn't an option for us

when are you returning to the US? you may need a letter from your employer at the consulate stage because when your K1 is approved, your fiancee will have 6 months to use it to gain entry into the US and she will not be able to leave for a while

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

8 hours ago, Prizm123 said:

when are you returning to the US? you may need a letter from your employer at the consulate stage because when your K1 is approved, your fiancee will have 6 months to use it to gain entry into the US and she will not be able to leave for a while

Next year for the marriage. We plan to both quit our foreign jobs and use assets and self employment income for the affidavit of support

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.