Kristi&Luigi

February 2019 - AOS Filers!!!

701 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, PaulaMarie said:

Yup, got my SSN already. So, is it okay to file I-485 AOS way pass the I94 expiration? I am torn between filing now and waiting for the 2018 ITR.

Yes, it is perfectly fine to file I-485 AOS even if your I-94 is expired. I only sent W2’s and 1040 for 2018 taxes bec i couldn’t wait anymore and just sent it. Will update you guys if they accept just the 1040 for 2018 or need the tax transcript.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Mac1218 said:

Yes, it is perfectly fine to file I-485 AOS even if your I-94 is expired. I only sent W2’s and 1040 for 2018 taxes bec i couldn’t wait anymore and just sent it. Will update you guys if they accept just the 1040 for 2018 or need the tax transcript.

Thank you! People said that it's okay to file the AOS way pass I-94 expiration. But I am just scared because when I enter in LAX port, the immigration officer told me that I should get married within 90 days and "file". I don't know if that is AOS filing or just report of marriage.

Timeline
1 hour ago, PaulaMarie said:

Same, we're filing 2015-2017 taxes. I don't know though if it is okay.

The people I asked said it’s fine as the deadline for filing taxes this year is in April and USCIS knows that. 

5 minutes ago, PaulaMarie said:

Thank you! People said that it's okay to file the AOS way pass I-94 expiration. But I am just scared because when I enter in LAX port, the immigration officer told me that I should get married within 90 days and "file". I don't know if that is AOS filing or just report of marriage.

As long as you get married within 90 days you’re fine. There is no deadline for adjusting your status but it is best to process it as soon as you can so you can get a job legally (if you want to work here) and will be able to enter US again if you want to go visit your home country.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, PaulaMarie said:

It’s fine. The important thing is you got married within 90 days. I got married on day 87 so it would be impossible to file AOS before my i-94 expired. 

Timeline
44 minutes ago, Mac1218 said:

I sent W2’s for 2016-2018, 2016-2017 ITR and only 1040 for 2018. It may or may not work for my application but a friend of mine sent her application first week of Jan 2019 and she recently got an RFE asking for recent tax papers. She only sent 2015-2017. But it’s a case to case basis so let’s just all hope for a smooth process.

Wow! She sent her application in January and she already got an RFE? It means they were already working on her case. That was pretty fast! 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Mac1218 said:

Yup! She sent it first week of January and got her RFE before she even gets a biometric schedule. It really is a case to case basis.

That’s right. Well I already submitted mine with no 2018 ITR or any tax documents since they’re not available yet. Nothing we can do as of the moment but wait. 

I heard some people saying that USCIS doesn’t issue RFE anymore, but your friend got one so maybe USCIS still does. 

Edited by saj2016

2 minutes ago, saj2016 said:

That’s right. Well I already submitted mine with no 2018 ITR or any tax documents. Nothing we can do as of the moment but wait. 

I heard some people saying that USCIS doesn’t issue RFE anymore, but you’re friend got one so maybe USCIS still does. 

Yeah, all we can do is to patiently wait and hope for the best. I just talked to my friend, she got her biometrics schedule already, it’s gonna be on the 11th this month which is tomorrow. She sent the lacking documents a day after she got the RFE letter.

Hi everyone!

So now the K1 visa process is over and I am here, happy and almost married (Thursday). Next up is the AOS. I have filled in most of the i485, i131 and i765 forms, but I have a fair few questions which I could really do with some help with if someone can spare five minutes to guide me.  I hope to finish my paperwork and get filed this month, but I need a bit of help.

So here goes . . .

I485

1)      Question 10:  It asks for my Alien Registration Number (A Number). What is this and how do I get one?  Is it the AA case number I had for my K1 application from USCIS?

2)      Question 12: I have applied for my SSN but I have not yet received it. Should I wait until I receive it before sending off my application, or should I send this off asap?

3)      Question 19:  What is my non immigrant visa number?

I131

1)      Part 3, Q1: I have made a complete guess of when I would like to travel and for how long. Is that ok?

I765

1)      Question 14: Do I want a social security card to be issued? Assuming all goes to plan I will already have my SSN and card well before the AOS is processed. I am not changing my name.

2)      Question 18: At this point am I only a citizen of my original country i.e the UK?

3)      Question 27: What is my Eligibility category?

4)      Question 28 thru 31:  Do I need to fill these in? I have no employer yet?

And finally is there a list online anywhere of all the supporting documents/photo’s etc required for me to include in this packet? 

Do I just put all three forms together and send them off as one?

And where do we send this little lot off to?

Thanks in advance. Claire

event.png

K1

NOA1: May 10th 2018

NOA2: October 30th 2018

NVC Received: November 30th 2018

Embassy Received: December 27th 2018

Medical: January 14th 2019

Interview: January 22nd 2019 (Approved subject to medical approval), Medical approved and sent to the embassy: 24th January 2019

Visa in Hand: February 1st 2019

AOS / EAD / AP + OTHER NOTABLE EVENTS (WHICH MAY BE USEFUL TO KNOW)

POE: New York (JFK) February 6th 2019

SSN: Applied in SS Office on February 7th (New Haven)

Wedding: February 14th ❤

SSN Card received: February 20th

Marriage certificate received: February 21st, Passed Driving test theory (CT): February 21st, Opened first bank account (CT): February 21st

Attended 8 hour driver safety course (CT): February 23rd

AOS / AP / EAD sent: March 7th, 2019

AOS / AP / EAD received: March 9th, 2019

AOS / AP / EAD payment taken: March 25th, 2019

Driving Road Test: March 29th, 2019 (Passed)

NOA1: All received by mail: April 2nd, 2019

Biometrics Appointment: April 19th, 2019 (Hartford, CT) - Good Friday

Telephone Request to Expedite I-131: May 31st, 2019 (Financial Loss)

Email from USCIS requesting info: June 6th, 2019, Information faxed: June 6th, 2019

Telephone Request to Expedite I-765: July 2nd, 2019

CARD IN PRODUCTION - YIPPPPEEEEEE July 3rd, 2019. Hallelujah! lol

EAD/AP Combo card received: July 8th, 2019.

AOS Interview (Hartford): December 4th, 2019, AOS Approval: December 5th, 2019 (Text / online notification)

Greencard Received: December 12, 2019

FROM K1 NOA1 to GREEN CARD IN HAND: 581 DAYS (1 YEAR, 7 MONTHS AND 2 DAYS).

Here we go again on the crazy USCIS train! 

I751 Application filed 6th September, 2021

24 month extension letter received

N400 Application filed online 6th September, 2022

28th February, 2023 : 48 month extension letter received

13th March: N400 updated to 'Interview was Scheduled'

4 hours ago, DJClaire said:

I485

1)      Question 10:  It asks for my Alien Registration Number (A Number). What is this and how do I get one?  Is it the AA case number I had for my K1 application from USCIS?

It's a 8 or 9 digit number. It should be in the "Beneficiary" box of the I-129F approval notice:

noa2.jpg

2)      Question 12: I have applied for my SSN but I have not yet received it. Should I wait until I receive it before sending off my application, or should I send this off asap?

Send it ASAP.

3)      Question 19:  What is my non immigrant visa number?

It's the number in red on the K-1 visa:

visaSample1.jpg

The K-1 technically is a nonimmigrant visa.

I131

1)      Part 3, Q1: I have made a complete guess of when I would like to travel and for how long. Is that ok?

Yes, that's fine. Some people even leave that part blank and it's still approved. Or you can put in a completely unreasonable trip, such as: 02/26/2019 to 03/04/2019.

I765

1)      Question 14: Do I want a social security card to be issued? Assuming all goes to plan I will already have my SSN and card well before the AOS is processed. I am not changing my name.

Your choice. I recommend to select "No" for 14. Right now select "No" for 13.a. and leave 13.b. blank.

2)      Question 18: At this point am I only a citizen of my original country i.e the UK?

18.a. United Kingdom

18.b. N/A

3)      Question 27: What is my Eligibility category?

(c)(9) https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/information-employers-employees/employer-information/employment-authorization

Leave the third parentheses blank.

4)      Question 28 thru 31:  Do I need to fill these in? I have no employer yet?

Don't fill them in. None of them apply to eligibility category (c)(9).

And finally is there a list online anywhere of all the supporting documents/photo’s etc required for me to include in this packet?

https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

Do I just put all three forms together and send them off as one?

Yes, send it all in the same envelope. You can separate each "packet" with paper clips. In the I-485 "packet" include the I-864 and supporting documents as mentioned in the link above.

And where do we send this little lot off to?

Chicago Lockbox https://www.uscis.gov/i-485-addresses

Edited by accumbyte

3 hours ago, accumbyte said:

It's a 8 or 9 digit number. It should be in the "Beneficiary" box of the I-129F approval notice:

noa2.jpg

Send it ASAP.

It's the number in red on the K-1 visa:

visaSample1.jpg

The K-1 technically is a nonimmigrant visa.

Yes, that's fine. Some people even leave that part blank and it's still approved. Or you can put in a completely unreasonable trip, such as: 02/26/2019 to 03/04/2019.

Your choice. I recommend to select "No" for 14. Right now select "No" for 13.a. and leave 13.b. blank.

18.a. United Kingdom

18.b. N/A

(c)(9) https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/information-employers-employees/employer-information/employment-authorization

Leave the third parentheses blank.

Don't fill them in. None of them apply to eligibility category (c)(9).

https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

Yes, send it all in the same envelope. You can separate each "packet" with paper clips. In the I-485 "packet" include the I-864 and supporting documents as mentioned in the link above.

Chicago Lockbox https://www.uscis.gov/i-485-addresses

Hello Guys,

Do I send  I 765 and I 485 in the same package to the same address? im a little confuse about it.

Mailed our AOS package on Friday, February 8 via UPS to the Chicago Dearborn St address. Scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Will keep everyone updated.

As for the recent discussion on ITR and affidavit of support documents, it is indeed a very grey area. They are asking for your sponsor's income for the current year, meaning 2019. They ask for previous year tax returns because...I really don't know why. If your sponsor has an employment verification letter that lists the annual salary for the current year (2019), previous years really shouldn't matter, and yet they do.

3 minutes ago, 854Turbo said:

Mailed our AOS package on Friday, February 8 via UPS to the Chicago Dearborn St address. Scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Will keep everyone updated.

As for the recent discussion on ITR and affidavit of support documents, it is indeed a very grey area. They are asking for your sponsor's income for the current year, meaning 2019. They ask for previous year tax returns because...I really don't know why. If your sponsor has an employment verification letter that lists the annual salary for the current year (2019), previous years really shouldn't matter, and yet they do.

Did you sent I 765 and I 485 in the same package to the same address?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.