Jester1972

Gotta make it work...

25 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Deanwinchester said:

What is your adjusted gross income for 2018? If it’s more than the 125% poverty line then you’re fine. If not consider marrying in Thailand. If you live here for more than a year and apply at the uscis   In Thailand it takes 2-3 months and everything will be done (green card, no AOS, etc.)

Do you have assets? If their value is at least three times the 125% poverty line then with a marriage visa you can use that along with income.

A k-1 visa takes longer, it’s more expensive and more difficult to get.

This info is encouraging, and very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to share your insight with me. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Closed for review~~~

***Thread back open; one post violating the TOS (personal attack) removed along with subsequent posts quoting or referencing.  Either answer the OP's question without extraneous or unnecessary commentary or do not post; appropriate action will be taken if the TOS is violated again.***

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• Ryan H locked this topic
  • Ryan H unlocked this topic
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You will need to provide the past three years' of tax returns or IRS tax transcripts if you want to apply for a K-1 fiancee visa or for a CR-1 spousal visa (after marriage).  You will also need to submit proof of current income, but as someone self-employed, this is difficult, so the last three years of tax returns will be the evidence they look at for the 125% rule.  Could you get a job now, working for someone else or a company, so that you could show pay stubs as current income that would be above the minimum requirement?  Surely there are body shops who would hire you based on your experience.  Because fiancee or spouse visa petitions take so long these days to be processed, you would have six months or more to wait anyway, that is plenty of time to increase your current income to above the minimum.  CR-1 is better in my opinion because she can work immediately on entering the US.  If you have a co-sponsor whose income is sufficient, and if the Thailand embassy allows co-sponsors, you should be okay.  Why not move to Thailand now and teach English there to earn income if that is something you can do profitably?  You can always file a petition to bring her to the US later, using DCF which is faster anyway, but even then you will need sufficient US-based income to be approved, and proof of US domicile.  Good luck, I hope you are able to be together permanently soon.  

Edited by carmel34

Op are you are you self employed or employed by someone else?

Have you considered both the K1 and the CR1? 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

K1  needs 100%  of poverty level income and 125% at AOS stage

CR1 needs 125% 

you have about a year to wait for interview so you can satisfy your income needs and file the missing taxes

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Do not try to use a cosponsor for K1 in Bangkok. Sorry people give bad advice here a lot. If you want to use a cosponsor get married and file cr-1.

Edited by ThomasNC1988

4 hours ago, NikLR said:

Op are you are you self employed or employed by someone else?

Have you considered both the K1 and the CR1? 

I am self employed, but most of my work is done in the same body shop. I could have him type something up to explain that I have a steady income. 

I had considered both visas, but the K1 seemed the most popular, and shorter waiting times. I will do a bit more research on the CR1.

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I have enough info to keep me busy for a while with reading. 

16 minutes ago, Jester1972 said:

I am self employed, but most of my work is done in the same body shop. I could have him type something up to explain that I have a steady income. 

I had considered both visas, but the K1 seemed the most popular, and shorter waiting times. I will do a bit more research on the CR1.

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I have enough info to keep me busy for a while with reading. 

K1 is shorter by a few months to visa.  In general it's about twice as long to green card and work authorization is taking about 6 months.  So that means after arrival, marriage, and filing AOS, it takes about 6 months before the beneficiary can travel outside the USA or even work. 

If you're self employed then your current income is based on your latest tax return.  So 2018 will determine your current income.  This is not like a normal w2 income. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Something I might have missed, but what about health insurance? If you're barely at the poverty line, health insurance can be expensive. Since you're self employed I was just curious if you've considered that as well? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.