jakejon

Driving in US coming from UK

38 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, jakejon said:

Oh, I remember driving in the UK with Jake and he nearly had a heart attack as I drove around a roundabout clockwise :P  

But clockwise just makes more sense to me! Proof, if it were needed, that Brits drive on the correct side of the road! 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 2/1/2019 at 2:27 PM, jakejon said:

Thanks for this!! I just fear I'll be a dumbster and it'll take me 3-5 time LOL. Going to take both you guys advice!! ❤️ 

Idk if you're a dumbster (cause then I would be) I've had my foreign license for over 9 years (passed my drivers test in my home country the first time) and failed the road test 2 times already in the US on the littlest thing.

The first time cause I accidentally didn't come to a full stop at the stop signs (I went through the sign with like 1 mile ph so that's an immediate fail) and the second time my tires were over the white line at the stop signs (I could still see the stop sign very clear through my windshield, so it wasn't that I was far over it, prob just on it or just over it) I've got my next test next month but given up hope a little of ever passing cause it's basically just nitpicking what they do here. Luckily I can drive for the next couple of months on my foreign license in PA (failing me completely defeats the purpose but okay, I understand they have certain rules they have to go by)  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 2/3/2019 at 6:53 AM, C90 said:

Idk if you're a dumbster (cause then I would be) I've had my foreign license for over 9 years (passed my drivers test in my home country the first time) and failed the road test 2 times already in the US on the littlest thing.

The first time cause I accidentally didn't come to a full stop at the stop signs (I went through the sign with like 1 mile ph so that's an immediate fail) and the second time my tires were over the white line at the stop signs (I could still see the stop sign very clear through my windshield, so it wasn't that I was far over it, prob just on it or just over it) I've got my next test next month but given up hope a little of ever passing cause it's basically just nitpicking what they do here. Luckily I can drive for the next couple of months on my foreign license in PA (failing me completely defeats the purpose but okay, I understand they have certain rules they have to go by)  

Yeah i guess!! I only assume that they are more critical here maybe because the test is so short. Good luck for next month! I have mine booked for next month too 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 minute ago, jakejon said:

Passed drive test 1st go!!! :D 

Well done. I guess you remembered to fully stop at stop signs and not cross over the white line.😂

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Well done. I guess you remembered to fully stop at stop signs and not cross over the white line.😂

Oh I made my mirror and blind spot checks as dramatic as I could!! :P 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, jakejon said:

Oh I made my mirror and blind spot checks as dramatic as I could!! :P 

Did you have to parallel park?  At a DMV where I had to go to change my address, the wait was endless. They had glass walls looking out over the car park where they tested parallel parking. Unbelievably funny!  Teens learn in drivers training classes, but these were mostly adults with no clue how to even attempt it. Of course you could go a lifetime here in Texas and never have to parallel park. 

Timeline
On 2/9/2019 at 8:34 AM, Wuozopo said:

Did you have to parallel park?  At a DMV where I had to go to change my address, the wait was endless. They had glass walls looking out over the car park where they tested parallel parking. Unbelievably funny!  Teens learn in drivers training classes, but these were mostly adults with no clue how to even attempt it. Of course you could go a lifetime here in Texas and never have to parallel park. 

Yeah I had to do it last on the test. I actually booked for March 9th to do it and I had a sudden urge to want to do it earlier. I was like if I fail, at least I know what I have to work on. Oh, I felt like the oldest person waiting for a drive test. I always try and avoid parallel park-bad memories in the UK of holding up traffic in a one way street cause I sucked at it LOL! Interestingly, I have yet to have a bad experience at the DMV. Calling them is the worst part and massive eye rolls at that! It's like they aren't trained or just don't understand immigration that much. 

On 2/2/2019 at 5:25 AM, Paul & Marina said:

Have you thought about going to a local driving school?

This worked very well for Mary.   She drove for a week, not a full month on the international driving permit, and said she was too scared.   6 hours of class and 10 hours of driving school and she is fine on the streets and rural highways.  The lessons counted for the state road test so she didn't even have to take any tests at the DMV.  Best $500 I spent.

She is  still not very "comfortable" on the freeways yet but that is because of the speed and the crazy drivers out here in Arizona.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
3 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

This worked very well for Mary.   She drove for a week, not a full month on the international driving permit, and said she was too scared.   6 hours of class and 10 hours of driving school and she is fine on the streets and rural highways.  The lessons counted for the state road test so she didn't even have to take any tests at the DMV.  Best $500 I spent.

She is  still not very "comfortable" on the freeways yet but that is because of the speed and the crazy drivers out here in Arizona.

Yeah a Driving School is great (if you can afford it) LOL! Nevadans are super quick and move without even scanning, looking in mirrors (no offence)!! 

I do appreciate my spouses commitment and to showing me the way to driving in the US-I think I'll treasure that in my heart. He is a very harsh instructor and demands perfection ❤️ 

Edited by jakejon

10 hours ago, jakejon said:

Yeah a Driving School is great (if you can afford it) LOL! Nevadans are super quick and move without even scanning, looking in mirrors (no offence)!! 

I do appreciate my spouses commitment and to showing me the way to driving in the US-I think I'll treasure that in my heart. He is a very harsh instructor and demands perfection ❤️ 

I unfortunately had 2 options the second time I visited the US, drive, or be stuck in the hours for 12 hours 4 days straight as my fiancée was working and I had things to buy. So 5AM, ice on the roads and away we go.

She was an absolute tyrant while informing me on how to drive initially (generally because she has a lead foot and I was a little more cautious initially), 1 incorrect turning down the wrong side of the road (it was quiet, it's fine) and fast forward many trips and she jumps out the driving seat ASAP and lets me drive while she throws some Z's now. I'm hoping Michigan is a little more laxed with regards to UK drivers and the requirement for tests.

Next off the driving list is having Courtney step in to a manual during this next trip, in the driving seat...oh how the tables will turn :-P 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Timeline
4 hours ago, LukeU said:

Next off the driving list is having Courtney step in to a manual during this next trip, in the driving seat...oh how the tables will turn 😛

I threw my fiancé into UK driving on a visit. I made her drive from Heathrow to Oxford. She did fine except said we have too many markings painted on the roads at intersections that she didn't understand. 

2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I threw my fiancé into UK driving on a visit. I made her drive from Heathrow to Oxford. She did fine except said we have too many markings painted on the roads at intersections that she didn't understand. 

The driving itself doesn't bother Courtney other than the speed cameras....again, lead footed. It's the manual gearbox as she's only ever driven an automatic. We're doing it this time for certain but I don't think I'll make her drive through central London (literally, across Vauxhall bridge) to get to our Airbnb....not because I'm feeling kind but because I don't want to pay to respray the car :-P 

I find their markings much more confusing, especially the central turning lane. That still gets me over there. 

Summary:

Timeline
20 minutes ago, LukeU said:

I find their markings much more confusing, especially the central turning lane. That still gets me over there.

Around here, they call that the suicide lane. 😂 

My wife already knew how to drive a manual from having a little sports car years ago and it all came back to her even though she had to shift with the opposite hand. Courtney would enjoy driving on the autobahn in Germany. We did that in my car.

Just now, Wuozopo said:

Around here, they call that the suicide lane. 😂 

My wife already knew how to drive a manual from having a little sports car years ago and it all came back to her even though she had to shift with the opposite hand. Courtney would enjoy driving on the autobahn in Germany. We did that in my car.

It really is! I still don't quite get the hang of it (at times I'll go up to the next turning and just come back on myself to turn into the place 😂 ) 

I haven't driven a manual over there for very long (maybe 10-15 minutes) but yeah changing with the opposite hand was different but it works. Oh geez, she'd never want to leave the autobahn that's for certain! 

Summary:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.