Soon2019

The writ of mandamus

20 posts in this topic

It forces the Department of State to make a decision.  Unfortunately it does not often come with a positive outcome.  Basically DOS will say we don't have enough info to approve or the background  / security check is not complete.  It does not force them to complete any of that.  it forces them to make a administrative decision. And the decision is almost always a denial.  That denial can't be appealed in a K1.

Have you exhausted the congressional and ombudsman angles? 

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

14 minutes ago, Frankitaf said:

Hey everybody! Someone here can tell me what's the writ of mandamus and what's for? My fiance wants to hire a lawyer for that after waiting 20 months since we are applied until now.

Thanks

Here is a description with an article that will help you to understand this process. @Paul & Mary have laid out the outcome and some other suggestions to follow. Like they have said this may not be the answer your looking for.

You can sue USCIS to make a decision on your case if it has gone too long. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a-FPirWXg2jSXHKXE_jocaOQuNMfib_4/view?usp=sharing

It is called writ of mandamus (WOM). It is basically a legal requirement for the organization you are suing to make a decision based on the status of the case at that time.

Here is where it can backfire. Sometimes it is out of USCIS or the embassies hands. For example, if immigration is waiting on background checks of the beneficiary from their country's federal organizations that hasn't came in yet, obviously US immigration can't move forward with your case. If you sue for WOM, then they have to make a decision based on where your case is currently at. And if they don't have a background check on you, which is a essential requirement, then they have to deny your case.

We know the waiting sucks. But it is not all US immigration's fault. It is a complex process that involves multiple government entities from different countries. 

Unless your case is severely overdue (nearly a year or more), I would not risk WOM.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Frankitaf said:

Hey everybody! Someone here can tell me what's the writ of mandamus and what's for? My fiance wants to hire a lawyer for that after waiting 20 months since we are applied until now.

Thanks

based on your timeline of going into AP in October 2018 i don't think you would be successful.  1 thing u have to prove here is that your timeline is excessive,  and AP for 3 months doesn't meet that threshold unfortunately.

Thanks so much for everybody's explanation. It's not my idea but it's my fiance's idea he wants to ask a lawyer if they can do the writ of mandamus. We have been 3 months in AP we already waited almost 13 months to get approved from the USCIS and we never used any Congressman or Senator during the waiting for the i-129. My fiance contacted his Congressman 3 weeks ago we didn't hear anything yet from them we only see two updates last week after almost 3 months with no update.

My passport still with them they didn't ask for any documents or. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Frankitaf said:

Thanks so much for everybody's explanation. It's not my idea but it's my fiance's idea he wants to ask a lawyer if they can do the writ of mandamus. We have been 3 months in AP we already waited almost 13 months to get approved from the USCIS and we never used any Congressman or Senator during the waiting for the i-129. My fiance contacted his Congressman 3 weeks ago we didn't hear anything yet from them we only see two updates last week after almost 3 months with no update.

3 months in AP is not very long based on all the posts here on VJ about AP, especially for Morocco.  Some have been in AP for more than a year.  I would wait at least for 6 months of AP with no response before even thinking about WOM.

6 hours ago, Frankitaf said:

That you waited 13 months for the first step doesn't have any bearing on AP even though 13 months is ridiculously long...(I'm at 14 months now and suing their incompetent (removed)

3 months in AP is not that long and they're probably performing security checks on your fiance. Give it a bit more time or keep contacting your senators until they reply.

If you filed WOM now, the judge and DOS lawyer would have a nice laugh and your lawsuit would be dismissed and your application would still be in AP.

Edited by Ontarkie
bypassing language filter

Also just to clarify because of some incorrect information.

Filing a WoM DOES NOT force USCIS to make a decision based on the current status of the case.

The Administrative Procedures Act requires federal agencies to perform their duty within a reasonable time. A judge determines what is reasonable, since it's not explicitly written in the law, based on prior cases and other factors. 

If a judge determines the time it is taking is unreasonable, he will grant the WoM and order USCIS/FBI to complete the application usually within 60 days. This may lead to denial because it may be in reality impossible to approve it and they are forced to make a decision.

What usually actually happens is the judge doesn't make a decision on the case and let's uscis and the petitioner settle it. Uscis lawyer says give us 60 days, we'll get it done asap. Gets approved because everyone knows the real reason for the delay is incompetence. Both agree to dismiss case. Everyone gets what they want.

Gotta agree...a WoM after only 3 months of AP is going to be a waste of money and even likely cause undue stress. I understand the wait is hard, but you're not in a situation where the case is outside the norm.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, Jordan J said:

We have been on AP for the past 15 months!! But have never considered Writ of Mandamus, just for the same

reason, it's consequences are usually not good. In your case; it's not that long at all. I would definitely wait a few

more months before taking this next step. 

Damn 15 months AP, that's depressing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
5 hours ago, Frankitaf said:

Three months in AP is not out of normal parameters by any stretch of the imagination. Period.

Just because they filed the petition 18 months ago means nothing as 15 months until interview day is within normal limits, as well. WoM would only force their hand into denying the case because until all background checks have been finished a decision cannot be made.

I don't understand why people ask for advice here, argue with said advice and then go on to do with what they intended all along. What's the point of even asking?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Definately let us know what happens if you pursue the WoM, but as others noted 3 months AP is nothing really. Some people recently on here were 18+ months in AP and probably wouldn't go to that measure just yet.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, Nov2017AD said:

(I'm at 14 months now and suing their incompetent (removed)

So sorry that you are going through this.  That some petitions sail through in a few months and others take ridiculously long is a big red flag that the USCIS operation has some serious problems of management, staffing, and probably more.  Makes me want to throw up and write all senators, congressmen, to do something about this crazy situation.  With all the fees they collect, they can't hire more people?  Open new processing centers?  Use the latest technology?  At least they could adjudicate petitions in the order received!   I'm at 6 months (CR-1) and hearing about waits of 14 months is heartbreaking.  Makes me want to be ready with a plan B if this process drags on, and on, and on.... for no good reason except incompetence.  I hope your lawsuit does something---good luck, we're all rooting for you! 

Edited by Ontarkie
edited quoted part

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.