Abcd1234

Driving license before gc

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
43 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

If she didn't arrive yet, she could go look at her home country's automotive club or whatever who can issue international driver's license for a fee which is valid for a year.

Good to know that if she is here she can't get one from here and also the web is full with "fake/hardly legal" international driver's licenses which you can order online for like $30-$50, but most likely wouldn't hold up if the police stops you or you get into an accident...

AFAIK she doesn't have an international DL, she has a foreign DL, just to clear up the terminology.

On the K1 she could apply for an USA driver's license, but that would expire when her I-90. After that she has to stop driving until she receives her EAD or GC and renew her license....

Yeah. It just a translation, so pretty much useless as her foreign one has translations on it anyway

13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Visitors I think in all States are allowed a year.

I used to have a IDP many years ago for driving in France etc before the common EU style was issued. It does not give you any additional privileges.  Id did not need one in the US as mine was in English, my State rules have changed since I immigrated, it is a problem for most new residents coming in on a K1. New Residents need to find out what their State rules are.

3months in NJ are permitted to drive with foreign licence. So it’s kind of stupid. I mean when processing times for GC were ~6mo’s and EAD 3-4mo, fine. But all that shifted, so either USCIS or DMV’s should at least accomodate immigrants like K-1 with 6month DL’s until approved for GC, or something like that. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
14 minutes ago, PaulMac said:

Yeah. It just a translation, so pretty much useless as her foreign one has translations on it anyway

3months in NJ are permitted to drive with foreign licence. So it’s kind of stupid. I mean when processing times for GC were ~6mo’s and EAD 3-4mo, fine. But all that shifted, so either USCIS or DMV’s should at least accomodate immigrants like K-1 with 6month DL’s until approved for GC, or something like that. 

Well yes things never used to take so long and State and Feds do not relate. Plus I guess in absolute numbers it does not effect many so it is ignored.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well yes things never used to take so long and State and Feds do not relate. Plus I guess in absolute numbers it does not effect many so it is ignored.

Yup. It should be addressed at some point, if processing times won’t drop down to “pre-crisis” levels. As it’s impossible to exist. I feel bad for my fiance, she’s trying to stay busy, gym, friends, etc. If you take away driving, she’s literally stuck at home for 3months no being able to do anything outside. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

My wife applied for a CA state ID 61 days before the expiry of her K-1 and to my amazement received an ID good for over 5 years. I was expecting it to be good for 61 days.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.