Cmpalaz

AOS for Tourist Visa for Spouse

57 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
4 minutes ago, missileman said:

I think that last part was sarcasm...you read the first sentence of that post, didn't you?

Agree not what was suggested.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
13 minutes ago, josandme said:

@TBoneTX, Here is a perfect example of what I was referring to in my other post. This is HORRIBLE advice!!!!!  
It will result in a deportation and a ban, affecting them for years, making the situation substantially worse. 

"see how it goes"...….  like maybe the officer would feel sorry for them and allow them in????  

People, please!! Give them CORRECT advice.  You can not attempt to enter on a b2 with immigration intent.  PERIOD. 

One could read that post as advising the OP to be completely honest when entering the US......

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, kvito28 said:

I don't know why a lot of people here get so aggressive when OP is genuinely trying to ask questions and do the right thing in order to keep the family safe. Did everyone lose any sort of empathy? I know we all went the right and legal way and took some time for us to become residents/citizens, but OP is in need of help to stay alive. Have some humanity for Christ's sake.

well said

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to What Visa Do I Need, from AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas - The OP's husband is not in the US presently so that leave IR1/CR1 and DCF as possibilities.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

9 hours ago, kvito28 said:

I don't know why a lot of people here get so aggressive when OP is genuinely trying to ask questions and do the right thing in order to keep the family safe. Did everyone lose any sort of empathy? I know we all went the right and legal way and took some time for us to become residents/citizens, but OP is in need of help to stay alive. Have some humanity for Christ's sake.

Agreed!   I am sure there are folks on here who deliberately come on just to laugh at or jump all over people who genuinely don't know the process.   Not sugar coating is one thing, but plain rudeness is another, and I have noticed for a long time there is a lot of that round here.

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline
13 hours ago, jcra615 said:

Hi! So sorry you are experiencing this, I can't even imagine how challenging this must be to go through, especially with a young child. While I will not chime in on entering the U.S. with a tourist visa with the intent to do AOS, I will say that no one on his forum has the right to judge you for asking questions. You are in an extremely trying situation and want to understand your options... that is a good thing.

I will just generally state that if you were to enter the U.S., it would likely make the most sense to plan on staying there for a period of years (4-5 years) subsequently. Even if you do not want to stay in the U.S. permanently, if you go through all the effort of getting your husband there, it makes sense to plan on staying until he can become a citizen (while he could apply for citizenship after having his permanent residency for 3 years since he is married to you, the process of actually filing for citizenship, waiting, etc. makes the real timeline more around 4 or 5 years to be safe). Once he is a citizen he will be able to come and go freely without any worry like this again, but being a citizen also doesn't tie him to living in the U.S. forever. My husband and I met in Latin America and came to the U.S. to live for a while, with the idea of moving back to Latin America eventually. It makes sense to wait it out and go through that process to have it over and done with.

While I can not comment on the specifics of Nicaragua / Costa Rica / Panama as options for you to process a spousal visa, my husband did get his visa (a fiance visa) processed in a country other than his own (Ecuador, where we met, though he is from Cuba originally), so I will mention that. This is definitely an option I would recommend to you, as there was nothing unusual about the process at all for us. The U.S. embassy did want to see that he was documented in Ecuador (he did not have permanent residency there, just a year-long volunteer visa), but there wasn't anything more in terms of "establishing residency" that he had to prove. He needed a police report from Cuba AND Ecuador for the application to see that he hadn't been convicted of any crimes...if you are planning on leaving Nicaragua to process this in a neighboring country I would recommend bringing this document with you to have on hand for the application. At the interview, they asked him why he moved from Cuba to Ecuador. That is literally it. Again, keep digging for the country-specific details regarding where you might file for the spousal visa, but I'd think that this is definitely a good option for you.

Best of luck!

I was referring to residency in that country for the USC because people keep bringing up DCF.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

48 minutes ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

I was referring to residency in that country for the USC because people keep bringing up DCF.

The OP could try for exceptional circumstances for DCF from the country she is currently in.  If moving, the OP would no longer qualify most likely. 

Or there is an expedite possibility.  I know of one from Nepal who did a normal, not dcf expedite and it was granted because of threats of their home being blown up. 

Edited by NikLR
Clarity

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thank you for all the input. I won't get into a long post about defending myself or why I asked the questions I asked. The point is I came here looking for some clarity and help. I am new to this process and don't know all the options available. But, I will be doing more research and hopefully will learn more. 

As I said, several people here in Nicaragua suggested to me we go the B-2 visa then AOS route. So, I didn't fully understand what that entails. It was just suggested to me we wait 90 days before turning in the application to ensure there are no holdups in the process. I do know, like Venezuela, many Nicaraguans have recently left on tourist visas seeking asylum in the US. 

It is very easy to judge someone from afar when you have no idea of their situation. I assure you, no one would choose to be where I am now. The threats, violence, and kidnappings here continue. I was threatened with immediate deportation if I didn't sign an affidavit stating I fully support the government here. If I didn't sign, I would have been separated from my daughter without even knowing what would happen to her (she is a dual Nicaraguan/American citizen and needs to have a special permission from the government to leave the country).

Last week, I met with a human rights lawyer and they advised I leave the country as it's been confirmed that my employer (soon to close down) is on a government watch list. I have been advised to keep a "low profile" until we can get out. Obviously, we want to leave as a family. I have video of paramilitaries shooting in the street in my residential neighborhood at 11am while my daughter was at home. My daughter's 2nd birthday party was interrupted by a group of government supporters calling my family terrorists and coup mongers. I could go on. 

Edited by Cmpalaz

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Had you shown up at the border with all your stuff , ready to stay in the US , they would have picked up on your real intent and at least questioned you.  There is a good chance that your husband would have been on the next plane back , and could have had no where to go.   As people have brought up there are better plans that should be 100%  when he gets to the border ( unless there is some undisclosed medical or criminal issue )   Some of us have been on the boards to over a decade, long after our own immigration adventures are over to give people advise on how to do things the best way.  Short cuts tend to have their pitfalls even if that is the way you frequently here that "everyone" is doing it. 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Several posts removed for advocating illegal immigration activity/ visa fraud, which could lead to a lifetime ban for Op.  Thread closed as Op has been adviced of their legal option.    Op is free to start another thread if they have questions about their new path. ***

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.