Meadows2301

K1 Confusion

20 posts in this topic

Hello,

So I am not sure I know what the correct answer is.

Fiancee' had a visa denial in the past with a 214b after her trying to renew her tourist visa.

She had a one time entry visa that said one week. However her stamp said she can stay 6 months. 

She got ill and stayed a little longer (6-7weeks), and remembered the customs agent told her she can stay 6 months. So she didn't think it would be a big deal. (stupid we know)

She explained it but the C/Officer but the lady got really mad and said she had lied originally because she said one week but stayed longer. She explained that she was ill, and had documents but she didn't bother to even look. She didn't lie! But the C/O seemed to type away regardless.

My question is, does this really affect the  K1 now? She only had one rejection and hasn't applied again since. Only came to the US once to see Disney.

Worried as I keep reading conflicting things. 

Thank you.

The 214b refusal won't impact a K-1 visa.

The I-94 stamp dictates her period of stay, not the visa validity period. As long as she didn't overstay that, there's no unlawful presence and therefore no bar. But yeah, the CO thinking it was abused pretty much makes getting a new tourist visa anytime soon virtually impossible.

If they feel she actually lied and that lie was material, they could impose a permanent (but waivable) bar for willing material misrepresentation. That said, I really don't think this is likely...the CO was probably just upset that she didn't stay as long as she originally stated.

Question...if she was so ill that she needed to spend an extra 6-7 weeks, how did she obtain medical care? Was it all paid out of pocket?

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

The 214b won't effect the K1.  You do need to disclose it on the forms. 

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The 214b refusal won't impact a K-1 visa.

The I-94 stamp dictates her period of stay, not the visa validity period. As long as she didn't overstay that, there's no unlawful presence and therefore no bar. But yeah, the CO thinking it was abused pretty much makes getting a new tourist visa anytime soon virtually impossible.

If they feel she actually lied and that lie was material, they could impose a permanent (but waivable) bar for willing material misrepresentation. That said, I really don't think this is likely...the CO was probably just upset that she didn't stay as long as she originally stated.

Question...if she was so ill that she needed to spend an extra 6-7 weeks, how did she obtain medical care? Was it all paid out of pocket?

It was a combination of being ill and finding an affordable last minute ticket back home. She had travel health insurance. Plus she didn't see the hurry as she thought the customs agent gave her longer. (again she didn't know, but definitely didn't lie)

Quoting you here - "If they feel she actually lied and that lie was material, they could impose a permanent (but waivable) bar for willing material misrepresentation. That said, I really don't think this is likely...the CO was probably just upset that she didn't stay as long as she originally stated."

How can you find out if they imposed that? Doesn't the 214b show they didn't do that? Or is it something only seen on their side?

Edited by Frank19869

3 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

The 214b won't effect the K1.  You do need to disclose it on the forms. 

Will do, but was just worried about her (CO ) calling her liar. As I am sure she probably wrote something in her file. It's crazy she refused to even look at her medical paperwork. 

Edited by Frank19869

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Frank19869 said:

It was a combination of being ill and finding an affordable last minute ticket back home. She had travel health insurance. Plus she didn't see the hurry as she thought the customs agent gave her longer. (again she didn't know, but definitely didn't lie)

Quoting you here - "If they feel she actually lied and that lie was material, they could impose a permanent (but waivable) bar for willing material misrepresentation. That said, I really don't think this is likely...the CO was probably just upset that she didn't stay as long as she originally stated."

How can you find out if they imposed that? Doesn't the 214b show they didn't do that? Or is it something only seen on their side?

Only seen on their side 

apply... declaring the denial etc and see what happens. As said a waiver can be applied for, but only after the visa processing has indicated it is needed 

1 minute ago, Frank19869 said:

As long as no public funds were used and she paid her bills, then that's not an issue. I just wanted to confirm those because either of those could be an issue.

1 minute ago, Frank19869 said:

No way to really know unless they told her, or until after otherwise being deemed eligible for another visa (i.e. a K-1 visa). At that point they would formally inform her of the inadmissibility.

The 214b refusal wouldn't show anything - she wasn't deemed eligible for the visa so they didn't need to make any such determination.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

As long as no public funds were used and she paid her bills, then that's not an issue. I just wanted to confirm those because either of those could be an issue.

No way to really know unless they told her, or until after otherwise being deemed eligible for another visa (i.e. a K-1 visa). At that point they would formally inform her of the inadmissibility.

The 214b refusal wouldn't show anything - she wasn't deemed eligible for the visa so they didn't need to make any such determination.

My fiancee' does remember the CO saying that she didn't break the rules but claims she lied to them about the length of her first visit. She seemed very offended and angry. There was no interview, she already decided it was rejected as she walked up to the CO. "I can't give you the visa." 

No public funds were used. All bills paid.

Edited by Frank19869

Just now, Frank19869 said:

Would the waiver work with the K1 or CR1?

The I-601 applies to either.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

7 minutes ago, Frank19869 said:

This might be a stupid question, but should i submit the I-601 with the K1 packet or wait until they ask for one? Just want to save as much time as possible as it may take a year.

Thank you

The I-601 can only be submitted after the visa is refused due to an inadmissibility. There's no way to send it beforehand (and have it do anything other than burn a whole in your pocket).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, Frank19869 said:

Sorry to be blunt, but she flat out lied.  She entered and said she would stay only one week, then she stayed six or seven weeks?  That's lying about her intent, it sounds like misrepresentation to me--saying one thing, then doing another is misrepresentation.  Why would she say one week and then stay six or seven?  You admitted that she stayed to "find an affordable last minute ticket back home," it was not just "being ill."  Obviously the CO did not buy her story.  It sounds shady to me from what you have posted.  All of her lying is on record.  How long did she actually stay?  What hospital documents did she submit to prove that she was seriously ill and could not travel?  Fishy story here... 

10 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Sorry to be blunt, but she flat out lied.  She entered and said she would stay only one week, then she stayed six or seven weeks?  That's lying about her intent, it sounds like misrepresentation to me--saying one thing, then doing another is misrepresentation.  Why would she say one week and then stay six or seven?  You admitted that she stayed to "find an affordable last minute ticket back home," it was not just "being ill."  Obviously the CO did not buy her story.  It sounds shady to me from what you have posted.  All of her lying is on record.  How long did she actually stay?  What hospital documents did she submit to prove that she was seriously ill and could not travel?  Fishy story here... 

She did not lie, nor did the CO person even bother to look at her documents. Her ticket and intent was to stay a week, and when she arrived the border agent told her, "hey, you can stay longer if you want." She was surprised by this, but still planned to leave after a week.

Then she got ill, the doctor told her to take it easy (she does have a legitimate medical condition that does cause her times to be dizzy). The only reason I mentioned the ticket thing is because she really thought it wouldn't be a big deal. As she had already stayed longer than a week and thought that her medical reason would give her a little flexibility as she was not feeling well. She really did not intend to stay longer, but the ticket sales (in the summer) were really higher than expected.

It's one thing for the CO to deny it after looking the docs, but another to not even look. 

(for the record, she would've said that she would stay longer if it was her intent and got her visa regardless, she has a rich travel history - also she never mentioned the ticket part to the CO. Just that she was ill)

Edited by Frank19869

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not sure about the Misrep but she had a one off visa and with what happened unlikely to be trusted again.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.