EnglishLove

UK Beneficiary criminal record

98 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

There have been a few different VJ posts, in the last few days, on questions about criminal records and inadmissability under US immigration law.  I suggest you review those posts as they will give you more in-depth information on situations when a waiver after denial of the visa might be possible.  In some cases it's not worth pursuing, as the law is pretty clear on when a waiver can be tried and when it can't.  Do more research and then decide on whether or not a lawyer is worth spending money on.  If there's no way a waiver will be successful, you may have to consider immigrating to the UK.

Just now, Pooley said:

Yes we have. When we first met, he was very forthcoming about his past as he was a bit wild in his teen days. He applied for a new job and had to order a police certificate and it came back saying no criminal record. When we ordered for the visa however, it showed every caution he has had plus his juvenile charge. Besides his one charge and  one other caution, they're all for fighting and only two of those cautions on his adult record and the rest are all when he was 14-16 years old. 

The police cert for jobs and for immigration are definitely different.  The lawyer may be a good investment as the CO may see a pattern of aggressive behavior that may be cause for denial.  He will need to present the police certificate at the interview so at the very least he is going to be facing a lot of questions.  A well trained CO may even try to get him upset to see how he reacts.  That is what I would do.  If he has a temper and he looks aggressive to the CO the odds of approval will be very low.  Make sure he knows that going in.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Just now, carmel34 said:

There have been a few different VJ posts, in the last few days, on questions about criminal records and inadmissability under US immigration law.  I suggest you review those posts as they will give you more in-depth information on situations when a waiver after denial of the visa might be possible.  In some cases it's not worth pursuing, as the law is pretty clear on when a waiver can be tried and when it can't.  Do more research and then decide on whether or not a lawyer is worth spending money on.  If there's no way a waiver will be successful, you may have to consider immigrating to the UK.

I have but there's no clear answers really or they are all conflicting answers. I'm going to be consulting with an attorney but I'm hoping since it's in the UK, they will be more lenient from what I've been told from other UK filers. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Pooley said:

No different than that or breaking up a bar fight and just getting a warning. I

Isn't the caution admitting guilt?  If so, it is different from getting a warning.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

The police cert for jobs and for immigration are definitely different.  The lawyer may be a good investment as the CO may see a pattern of aggressive behavior that may be cause for denial.  He will need to present the police certificate at the interview so at the very least he is going to be facing a lot of questions.  A well trained CO may even try to get him upset to see how he reacts.  That is what I would do.  If he has a temper and he looks aggressive to the CO the odds of approval will be very low.  Make sure he knows that going in.

Yes, that makes sense. those were years ago when he was a teen but I know they don't care how much time has passed. Funny is they are allowed to visit the US but can't live here if they have cautions. You would think if they were going to break the law, it would be when they are visiting and then getting to leave. 🤷‍♀️

1 minute ago, Pooley said:

Yes, that makes sense. those were years ago when he was a teen but I know they don't care how much time has passed. Funny is they are allowed to visit the US but can't live here if they have cautions. You would think if they were going to break the law, it would be when they are visiting and then getting to leave. 🤷‍♀️

True!

I wonder if a spousal visa would make a difference?  Probably not but that may be something to look at.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
2 minutes ago, missileman said:

Isn't the caution admitting guilt?  If so, it is different from getting a warning.

If you're pulled over for speeding and admit to the officer you knew you were speeding and they let you off with a warning.. how is that different? They didn't arrest him or give him a ticket. 

3 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

I wonder if a spousal visa would make a difference?

You can at least appeal a spousal denial.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

5 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

You can at least appeal a spousal denial.

Very true...

A K-1 is more likely to be ultimately denied than a CR-1.

A refused K-1 with the petition being sent back will sit and die.

A refused CR-1/IR-1 with the petition being sent back can be reaffirmed and not refused again for the same reason if based upon the same evidence.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Pooley said:

I have but there's no clear answers really or they are all conflicting answers. I'm going to be consulting with an attorney but I'm hoping since it's in the UK, they will be more lenient from what I've been told from other UK filers. 

From your original post, the crimes mentioned are borderline--it's not clear if they fall under CIMT or not, therefore the question of inadmissability is not certain.  For example, "aggravated assault" is a CIMT, but you only mentioned "assault."  If the knife incident was in connection with an assault, that might be considered "aggravated assault" for purposes of immigration.  Also the possession of stolen goods conviction may not be considered theft by the immigration officer considering the case, it's subjective and unpredictable because these are "gray area" offenses, so I agree with other comments, be open and declare everything and take all the paperwork to the interview and answer all the questions and hope for the best, you might get approved.  If not, they will tell you if you can try to file a waiver or not, that's when a lawyer might be helpful, might not.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I would spend my money on a lawyer who specializes in waivers if and when it is denied. That's where you need special skills from a lawyer.  A waiver is not an easy thing to get. Before that, the officer will discuss it at the interview and tell him if he is eligible for a waiver.  I have known people with a CIMT or drug charges they thought would surely doom them get a visa in London. I don't recall any with so many charges. 

Clarify the charges--3 assaults and 1 stolen goods. Or is the one with probation a fifth charge?

Nope, that's it. The common assault cautions (two being when he was a juvenile). The stolen goods they gave him a caution because he was in possession of the motorcycle but wasn't actually charged because he proved he had no idea. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

UK police caution explained by the UK government https://www.gov.uk/caution-warning-penalty

UK police caution explained by Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_caution

Timeline
6 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Very true...

A K-1 is more likely to be ultimately denied than a CR-1.

A refused K-1 with the petition being sent back will sit and die.

A refused CR-1/IR-1 with the petition being sent back can be reaffirmed and not refused again for the same reason if based upon the same evidence.

Ugh.. I really hope that isn't the case. But thank you so much for your help!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

UK police caution explained by the UK government https://www.gov.uk/caution-warning-penalty

UK police caution explained by Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_caution

"You have to admit an offence and agree to be cautioned. You can be arrested and charged if you don’t agree.

A caution is not a criminal conviction, but it could be used as evidence of bad character if you go to court for another crime."

I work in the law and have such a hard time with England laws sometimes. Why would anyone not take a caution over being arrested and brought to court? 

9 minutes ago, Pooley said:

Ugh.. I really hope that isn't the case. But thank you so much for your help!

what @John & Rose mentioned is 100% true.  His K1 was denied. K1's are not appealable.  He ended up getting married and started the spousal visa which takes longer time.

If time is more important you might want to get married because of the criminal issue.   If the petition comes up for denial it can be reaffirmed by USCIS and sent back to the Consulate. 

If you do the K1 it might be outright denied.  It can be denied at the USCIS or the DOS.  If it is denied by DOS you can not seek a waiver.   

You don't state how old the adult charges are.   The more seasoned they are the less of an overall impact they can have.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.