Kratos

Advises Going for an Oil and Gas conference as a Software Developer [merged threads]

36 posts in this topic

Some questions a CO might have..

Have there been other Oil and Gas Conferences in other countries in years past?  If so, has anyone from your company gone to any? 

Why were you chosen from among the 60 staff to attend this conference? 

How does your attendance at this conference benefit the company? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

22 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

Have there been other Oil and Gas Conferences in other countries in years past?  If so, has anyone from your company gone to any? 

1.)There has been a conference like this held in chile. I didn't partake as I was occupied with office work. 

2.)My company chose me to go as I have knowledge of oil and gas software solutions like the AVEVA,  Matlab, Aspen Hysys , etc. I have also done simulation and some little naval engineering too. 

3.) we would have benefits as we have more clients from the oil and gas companies, who would need us designing CRM,  and possibly integrate other solutions for them, since we work as a solutions architect vendor and software solutions developer for them.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
41 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

Good questions.  I have heard these being asked of other visa applicants from my country, especially the 2nd question.

15 minutes ago, Kratos said:

1.)There has been a conference like this held in chile. I didn't partake as I was occupied with office work.

The question was "has anyone from your company gone to any", not why weren't you able to attend.  Don't volunteer information that isn't asked, especially when your volunteered information doesn't strengthen your case at all.  It shows that other people in your company can attend instead of you.  Your answer should have been simply "Yes".

34 minutes ago, Kratos said:

2.)My company chose me to go as I have knowledge of oil and gas software solutions like the AVEVA,  Matlab, Aspen Hysys , etc. I have also done simulation and some little naval engineering too.

Saying you have "some little" knowledge makes you sound less qualified to attend.  Your answers must be accurate, but that doesn't mean you can't choose to highlight your strong points.  Like, are you the subject matter expert?  If you are, say so.  If not, do you have the unique mix of skills (in software solutions, simulation, and naval engineering) that would best position you to represent your company at this conference?

There must be a good reason your company is choosing to spend money on you specifically to attend.  What is that reason?  If possible, ask your company to include that endorsement in your letter.  The visa officer may not look at the letter at all, but better to have it and not need it, than not have it if you're asked.

I’m just gonna put it out there, I’ve gotten visas for business trips US and elsewhere before, I’ve never heard of a company offering its own bank statements for a visa... I mean, if a company employing 60 people can’t pay for a business trip then something is wrong. 

OP, I presume the embassy will easily be able to verify public info about the company you work for? 

Something seems off to me about this story, can’t quite put my finger on it, but including the fact that OP seems to be prepping for this interview like no-one I’ve ever heard of doing for a business trip before.  

11 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I’m just gonna put it out there, I’ve gotten visas for business trips US and elsewhere before, I’ve never heard of a company offering its own bank statements for a visa... I mean, if a company employing 60 people can’t pay for a business trip then something is wrong. 

OP, I presume the embassy will easily be able to verify public info about the company you work for? 

Something seems off to me about this story, can’t quite put my finger on it, but including the fact that OP seems to be prepping for this interview like no-one I’ve ever heard of doing for a business trip before.  

I'm travelling for the first time.  I'm assuming they'd let me have it. Not them madam.  Just making sure nothing would be a barrier, so that's why I mentioned the bank statements here.  From my understanding, they present bank statements at the embassy.  

They have intentions of letting me have the letters and again, this is a mock interview and not a real one yet.  Just practicing for my D-Day :D

Thanks again for the info now I know what and what not to present 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

@SusieQQQ The OP stated in another thread that he is from Nigeria.  That might give you a better idea why he's preparing like this.  I too come from what is considered a high visa fraud country.  Visa interview preparation like this is normal.  The script I prepared for my visa interview had more than 20 questions 😆

I do agree with you about the company bank statements.  I've never heard of that being asked for in an interview.

47 minutes ago, Kratos said:

I'm travelling for the first time.  I'm assuming they'd let me have it. Not them madam.  Just making sure nothing would be a barrier, so that's why I mentioned the bank statements here.  From my understanding, they present bank statements at the embassy.  

They have intentions of letting me have the letters and again, this is a mock interview and not a real one yet.  Just practicing for my D-Day :D

Thanks again for the info now I know what and what not to present 

Who/what is they?

I-751 journey

10 minutes ago, Kratos said:

the united States embassy.  And all other embassies I know of. 

You didn't answer the question

You wrote.. "From my understanding, they present bank statements at the embassy."   Who presents?

I-751 journey

Well, I never presented a bank statement at any US consulate for a B visa, and I did 4 different B interviews in 3 cities, but then I do come from the other side of Africa.  ( I did for a UK visa where it is specifically requested...but from the applicant not a company)

I still find it exceedingly strange that a company - presumably a private company given only 60 staff - is willing to hand out bank statements whether to staff or embassy. Seems ODD. If they have sent staff on business trips before though and done that then...I suppose it’s been seen before there .... 

^^actually make that 6 B interviews without bank statements if you add my spouse’s 2 in

Edited by SusieQQQ

46 minutes ago, Kratos said:

The person applying for the visa

Perhaps, but not the company sending an employee to a conference in the US, on a B-1.  That is not typical, which is why folks here are questioning it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I agree, what Company would give Bank Statements to an Employee?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.