22 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi Guys, 

My fiance and I filed the I-129F on the 22nd of October 2018. We still haven't recieved the NOA2 but we're still within reported processing times on the USCIS website for the service center it was received at. My fiance and I have a solid case:

She's been here for over 2 years doing her masters at the American University in Cairo while I finish my bachelors. We met during her senior year study abroad at AUC.

I met a lot of her family, specifically her dad and brother, her mother passed away in 2013. I met her dad when he came to Egypt for a brief visit and another time when I went on a family vacation with them in Europe. On the Europe trip I met her aunt, her brother, the dad's girlfriend and the brother's girlfriend. All of this is documented with photographic evidence. 

We have affidavits of support from her dad, a friend of hers from the US who came to visit, a friend of mine here (He's the once who told me I should grow a pair and start talking to her at the start of our relationship), and her roommate during her first year here (also a US citizen and a professor at AUC).

We hired a lawyer in the Boston area to help us with filing. We also have evidence of a wedding dress, wedding bands, and within a few months a wedding venue if we get the NOA2.

The only red flag we have is that I didn't get an affidavit of support from my family because they didn't like her that much and didn't want to help me because they just didn't approve of the marriage. Post filing, my situation has changed a bit and they've stopped outright rejecting my desire to marry her. From what I can tell this is apparently a death sentence when it comes to administrative processing in Egypt. She has no problem staying in Egypt for as long as necessary to get the Visa assuming she can find work. The only problem with that is we can't realistically live together unless we get married here because Egypt is incredibly conservative. If we decide to get married here we'd have to withdraw our application for the fiance visa and start the process all over again with the CR-1. 

I realize this fear may be incredibly premature but to be honest I am absolutely terrified and I'm genuinely losing sleep over this.

Has anyone every experienced a scenario like this before? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

AP is often done for reasons related to the beneficiary's occupation, training, education....also certain countries tend to be flagged for more AP than others, MENA countries and other less "friendly" countries to the US from a geopolitical standpoint, there's actually a list somewhere online with flagged countries. But, AP can also be triggered merely because of a person's educational and professional background, regardless of nationality. Also, all visa applications go through AP, not just K-1's and immigrant visas. Not sure if that will help you feel less worried or more worried, heh.

Are you worried about that plus a general refusal based on relationship evidence? It sounds like you have a pretty strong case, especially that you met in person while she was living in your country (same with our case!) and not online, that's a rarity here on VJ. That's actually probably a huge plus working in your favor, from my standpoint. Hope that helps you feel a little more relaxed. ^_^

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline

I hadn't actually considered if my educational background could affect the outcome of the visa interview. I'm doing a BS in Electronics and Communication Engineering... probably not good. Egypt is the second largest recipient of US foreign Aid (first is Israel) so that shouldn't be a huge issue. If I break it down I'm worried about 3 things. 1) My nerves getting the better of me during the interview 2) The fact that I have little parental involvement from my side of the equation in an Arab Muslim majority country 3) The fact that there no guarantees for how long AP lasts. I could push for more parental involvement from my side and present more evidence at the interview. But points 1 and 3 are still present. 

In any case, thank you for sharing your experience with me. It has calmed me down a bit. I didn't know being physically together in the same country was rare. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, sultan1323 said:

I'm doing a BS in Electronics and Communication Engineering... probably not good. Egypt is the second largest recipient of US foreign Aid (first is Israel) so that shouldn't be a huge issue. If I break it down I'm worried about 3 things. 1) My nerves getting the better of me during the interview 2) The fact that I have little parental involvement from my side of the equation in an Arab Muslim majority country 3) The fact that there no guarantees for how long AP lasts.

I have a feeling the lack of parental involvement won't really be an AP thing. The BS in Electronics & Engineering might.

They certainly won't put you in AP for merely for being nervous. Is your fiancee joining you during the interview? Also, there are other cases I've seen on VJ were there has been little parental involvement on one side or even from both sides due to cultural differences and things like that, so I have a feeling they have seen such cases before.

Yes, the fact that your fiancee already lives in your country and has lived there for a couple years is huge. I would say that's even rarer for a K-1, a lot of K-1's are rejected due to lack of real life "face time" between the petitioner and beneficiary. Also, you have photo evidence with your fiancee's family members, trips abroad together....that's really strong evidence. Also, I wouldn't be worried about lack of co-habitation evidence and I'm sure the Embassy there is familiar with local customs and the more conservative culture there.

Spoiler

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Spoiler

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Everybody goes through AP, it is part of the process.

PS I take it you are aware of the issues of a K1, not being able to work etc for a long time.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Everybody goes through AP, it is part of the process.

I'm referring to being told that my application will go through further AP without explicit rejection or approval at the end of the interview. One Egyptian guy on the form (Super Uber) was put on AP for 2 years before he go the visa. He returned it because he was already married to his fiance so he didn't qualify for the k-1 visa anymore. 

17 minutes ago, millefleur said:

They certainly won't put you in AP for merely for being nervous. Is your fiancee joining you during the interview? Also, there are other cases I've seen on VJ were there has been little parental involvement on one side or even from both sides due to cultural differences and things like that, so I have a feeling they have seen such cases before.

Yes she's joining me for the interview for emotional support plus she's in Egypt for her final semester at AUC and till the end of the summer, after that, we have no idea. Sucks that my degree might screw me over beyond job hunting though. I forgot to mention that her dad is also a co-sponser which should further strengthen our case. 

17 minutes ago, millefleur said:

Yes, the fact that your fiancee already lives in your country and has lived there for a couple years is huge. I would say that's even rarer for a K-1, a lot of K-1's are rejected due to lack of real life "face time" between the petitioner and beneficiary. Also, you have photo evidence with your fiancee's family members, trips abroad together....that's really strong evidence. Also, I wouldn't be worried about lack of co-habitation evidence and I'm sure the Embassy there is familiar with local customs and the more conservative culture there.

I'm worried about our future inability to cohabitate if we get sent to AP hell (not being able to get married in Egypt during AP), not our current inability to cohabitate. 

Edited by sultan1323

Timeline
11 minutes ago, sultan1323 said:

I'm referring to being told that my application will go through further AP without explicit rejection or approval at the end of the interview.

Hmmmmm....I see what you mean. Certainly the most frustrating thing about AP is that it is not a rejection nor an approval but a horrible limbo period where you have no idea what's going on. I hope someone who has dealt with lengthy AP will jump in and share their experience. Other than hearing individual stories though, there is little to know about AP and what to anticipate...it's kind of a secretive process and probably by design.

11 minutes ago, sultan1323 said:

I'm worried about our future inability to cohabitate if we get sent to AP hell (not being able to get married in Egypt during AP), not our current inability to cohabitate.

I see what you mean. Actually, though, a large number of both K-1 and CR-1 applicants live apart, so they certainly would not reject you based on lack of cohabitation. USCIS is very aware of all the various logistical and cultural issues with international couples so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be viewed as a red flag. The worry would be more of a personal one, as living apart from you significant other is hard.

That's good that she's accompanying you to the interview! Have you tried practicing interview questions to prepare?

Edited by millefleur

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline
3 minutes ago, millefleur said:

That's good that she's accompanying you to the interview! Have you tried practicing interview questions to prepare?

Yes we did. I need to get some of the dates sorted out but other than we're mostly good.

I also forgot to mention something. My entire immediate family (including myself) already have B2 Visitor visas. Does this help the K1 process at all by lending credibility to my case, or are they separate things?

Edited by sultan1323

Just now, sultan1323 said:

I also forgot to mention something. My entire immediate family (including myself) already have a B2 Visitor visa. Does this help the K1 process at all by lending credibility to my case, or are they separate things?

Completely separate things.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
Just now, sultan1323 said:

I also forgot to mention something. My entire immediate family (including myself) already have a B2 Visitor visa. Does this help the K1 process at all by lending credibility to my case, or are they separate things? 

What about you, do you have a B1/B2 visitor visa?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline
1 minute ago, millefleur said:

What about you, do you have a B1/B2 visitor visa?

Yes I do have one. It was issued two years ago but never used. Valid till 2022 I think.

Edited by sultan1323

Timeline
1 minute ago, sultan1323 said:

Yes I do have one. It was issued two years ago but never used. Valid till 2022 I think.

Well, that's great! My husband did not have one, and when we went to go apply in order for him to meet my dad in the US, he was rejected. :crying: So at least be glad that you can visit in the worst case scenario!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline
1 minute ago, millefleur said:

Well, that's great! My husband did not have one, and when we went to go apply in order for him to meet my dad in the US, he was rejected. :crying: So at least be glad that you can visit in the worst case scenario!

I assumed if I was going to be rejected for the K-1 they would automatically take the B2 with it.

Timeline
1 minute ago, sultan1323 said:

I assumed if I was going to be rejected for the K-1 they would automatically take the B2 with it.

I'm pretty sure that is not the case. I hope other VJ'ers will jump in to back me up here.

However, CBP might question you and could possibly deny you entry to the US if they suspect you are coming to immigrate on the B2.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You do not get as far as AP unless you have passed the previous stages.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.