IanD91

K1 and HB-1 at the same time?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am just curious. Would it be possible to be in the middle of the K1 process and be on a H1B at the same time? If this was possible could you use it to fill the gap while waiting for AOS

It is possible to be going through the K-1 process while already having or being in the process of an H-1B visa. You can only enter the US with one status or the other, though.

That said...why? H-1B permits immigrant intent. You can use that to come to the US, marry, then file for AOS. The K-1 would be both pointless and lack the ability to work and travel for a while.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
2 hours ago, geowrian said:

It is possible to be going through the K-1 process while already having or being in the process of an H-1B visa. You can only enter the US with one status or the other, though.

That said...why? H-1B permits immigrant intent. You can use that to come to the US, marry, then file for AOS. The K-1 would be both pointless and lack the ability to work and travel for a while.

I should have my K1 visa in my hand in approx 2 months. There is a small possibility that a family friend may be able to get me a job at a company in the US that would involve being on the H1B. What should I do if this option came true in the next 2 -3 months? He mentioned it would be a good way to fill the gap while waiting on AOS. Is this even possible?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
33 minutes ago, IanD91 said:

I should have my K1 visa in my hand in approx 2 months. There is a small possibility that a family friend may be able to get me a job at a company in the US that would involve being on the H1B. What should I do if this option came true in the next 2 -3 months? He mentioned it would be a good way to fill the gap while waiting on AOS. Is this even possible?

The K-1 is 2 months from being done.  You would be here and have file for AOS before you could even get an H1-B.  Forget about the H1-B, it's not going to be ready by the time you file for AOS under the K-1.  

Timeline
1 hour ago, aaron2020 said:

The K-1 is 2 months from being done.  You would be here and have file for AOS before you could even get an H1-B.  Forget about the H1-B, it's not going to be ready by the time you file for AOS under the K-1.  

To be honest, I don't know much about the H1B. I just presumed that the sponsoring empolyer files it and it processes relatively fast. I must have presumed wrong. 

Timeline
Just now, IanD91 said:

To be honest, I don't know much about the H1B. I just presumed that the sponsoring empolyer files it and it processes relatively fast. I must have presumed wrong. 

When you file for AOS under the K1, you can file for an Employment Authorization Document.  With a job offer, you can ask for the EAD to be expedited.  This is the way to go.  

Timeline
1 minute ago, aaron2020 said:

When you file for AOS under the K1, you can file for an Employment Authorization Document.  With a job offer, you can ask for the EAD to be expedited.  This is the way to go.  

Oh wow ok. I have never heard that before. Any idea how much that would speed up the process if successful? Or how to go about filing for it to be expidited? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, IanD91 said:

I am just curious. Would it be possible to be in the middle of the K1 process and be on a H1B at the same time? If this was possible could you use it to fill the gap while waiting for AOS

No, because you can't have two different entry status.   It's one or the other. 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, IanD91 said:

Oh wow ok. I have never heard that before. Any idea how much that would speed up the process if successful? Or how to go about filing for it to be expidited? 

First of all you need to have received the k1 and entered the USA.  Secondly you need to have married and ready to apply for aos.   Thirdly you need a job offer in hand

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, IanD91 said:

You may want to reach out to this couple.

4 hours ago, IanD91 said:

As noted, an H-1B visa path there is not going to be ready in that timeframe. K-1 would be the way to go.

Also as noted, you can apply for an expedite of the EAD with a firm job offer.

Just to set reasonable expectations, the case noted above took a little over 3 months after marrying and filing, not just the 15 days noted in the title. The 15 days was from expedite request to approval, but the ~3 months prior is a factor as well. Typical timelines at ~4-6 months without an expedite, so they were nearing that timeframe already.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline
2 hours ago, geowrian said:

As noted, an H-1B visa path there is not going to be ready in that timeframe. K-1 would be the way to go.

Also as noted, you can apply for an expedite of the EAD with a firm job offer.

Just to set reasonable expectations, the case noted above took a little over 3 months after marrying and filing, not just the 15 days noted in the title. The 15 days was from expedite request to approval, but the ~3 months prior is a factor as well. Typical timelines at ~4-6 months without an expedite, so they were nearing that timeframe already.

What would be the best way to say this to a prospective employer when applying for jobs? Say I am eligible to work in the US and then once I get the offer explain why it there will be a delay? Or just be straight up and say I am eligible to work pending an offer? 

15 minutes ago, IanD91 said:

What would be the best way to say this to a prospective employer when applying for jobs? Say I am eligible to work in the US and then once I get the offer explain why it there will be a delay? Or just be straight up and say I am eligible to work pending an offer? 

Personal choice what you say.

Personally I would be upfront with them - that I am waiting for my work authorization to process but do not need sponsorship from the company. Companies may hear that you need work authorization and incorrectly assume you want them to petition them for it, which is quite expensive and takes a long time, so I would add in the piece about not needing sponsorship from them.

Some employers may be able to hold the position open for you. Others may not.

My wife's employer was able to hold it open and wait for her document to come in.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

6 hours ago, IanD91 said:

Many employers if not all ask you when you apply if 1. you are legally authorized to work in the US and 2. if you now or in the future need sponsorship. Usually no room for options other than yes/no. Without EAD I wouldn't personally feel comfortable clicking yes on #1, but that's up to you I guess. On #2 you can say no and add explanation in your case in the cover letter, but the risk then is they might not even look at the batch of applications with a no on #1, so it's not ideal

I only applied to one job so far were they actually seemed like they understood immigration statuses and had multiple different options, including one for AOS Applicant. But that was one out of many, so best bet is if you have a connection in the company that knows your situation.

h

Filed: Other Timeline
14 hours ago, IanD91 said:

You are very misinformed about H-1B.  Read on the lottery; education requiremnents, labor certification process, expense, ...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.