angmig

Have green card - DMV won't give license

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I feel your pain. Florida's DMV (doesn't matter which office they all) specialize in torture. It very well may be they entered the information wrong. When I took my son to get his FL DL, when he got it, they had his date of birth wrong.

When you say he doesn't have his physical SS card yet, do you mean it was lost in the mail, or just not arrived? 
My suggestion would be to go to the Social Security office and get them to give you a print out verifying his Social Security number, and try again. Do make sure you have everything on the silly long list they have as requirements, I suggest having more than the minimum. 
https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/what-to-bring/immigrant/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Cuba
Timeline
17 hours ago, mushroomspore said:

Because the person who denied your husband's DL might just be an idiot who happens to work at that particular location. Go to a different location and try your luck with finding a non-idiot.

This. 

This periodically comes up, and while each state has different laws surrounding this (and issues licenses for different times based on status, etc.) this is almost certainly an issue with the DMV. I would say either go to another DMV near you or go back to the original one and try to speak to another representative or demand to see the manager. DMV people often know nothing about immigration status changes and things and the second they are forced to deal with it either refuse to or say they can't help.

I would recommend considering that the issue is with the DMV before going back to USCIS given the hassle of doing that. 

I-751

29 Oct 2018      Application Sent

31 Oct 2018      Application Received 

5 Nov 2018       Text confirmation 

6 Nov 2018       Check Cashed

1 Dec 2018       Biometrics Appointment Notice

6 Dec 2018       NOA1 Date

10 Dec 2018     Biometrics Appointment - Syracuse, NY

11 Dec 2018     NOA1 Received

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Cuba
Timeline
1 minute ago, mushroomspore said:

Yes the DMV is so notoriously unreliable and inconsistent with their knowledge of immigration statues/proofs. When I got my learner's permit, I showed my EAD to the lady. She asked for my I-94. I said, "Since I've got an EAD, the I-94 isn't needed. The EAD alone is proof I am in the US legally and my I-94 expired months ago anyways AND we can look it up on the California DMV website if you want. I have it open on my phone." I got let through and yes, I had prepared that short speech beforehand because I really did not trust how they would react to the EAD.

Rockstar! 

Unfortunately, this is needed, and everyone should be prepared to come like this!

I-751

29 Oct 2018      Application Sent

31 Oct 2018      Application Received 

5 Nov 2018       Text confirmation 

6 Nov 2018       Check Cashed

1 Dec 2018       Biometrics Appointment Notice

6 Dec 2018       NOA1 Date

10 Dec 2018     Biometrics Appointment - Syracuse, NY

11 Dec 2018     NOA1 Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Cryssiekins said:

SO accurate.  

The first DMV office I went to, I was told there was nothing they could do to issue me a license.  She gave me all this info about tests blah blah blah.  I was so infuriated after explaining what she should be doing, I had to leave.

Husband talked me into going to another office (same county!!) and the one there was so incredibly helpful.  She had never processed a license when it was reciprocal (I’m from Canada) but she pulled out her manual and just went through it step by step.  Took longer, yes, but a far better experience, and literally a 10 minute drive in distance.  

17 hours ago, mushroomspore said:

Because the person who denied your husband's DL might just be an idiot who happens to work at that particular location. Go to a different location and try your luck with finding a non-idiot.

Not just DMV, it goes the same with SSA office for SSN card.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

In  Florida   

If you are getting a drivers license for the first time and are 18 years or older, you must complete the four-hour Drug and Alcohol Traffic Awareness (DATA) course and the written DMV test on road signs and road rules. Both the DATA course and the written DMV test are available online from DMV approved schools.

did you do this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Depends on the state I think. My fiancee was here on November 20th,2018, we had the SS card in the mail 2 weeks later around December 3rd. Went to the DMV around the 5th ( Yes, it is a nightmare) she passed the tests and got a Real ID drivers license with no issues, and she just used her SS card, her passport, and I94, and was mailed a license 10 days later. The only downside is it is a limited term license, so after we file AOS, and get the I-797 in the mail they said come back and she will get a 8 year license. We took copies of bank accounts we had opened a few days earlier for proof of residency, and to make sure she got a real ID. This is in Nevada, and we did have a very nice employee amazingly enough, so Maybe just luck, but it worked.

I checked the Florida DMV website, and it says you must have the original documents ( Including SS Card) to get a ID or Drivers license, so that could be the issue. See Below....

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security REAL ID Act became effective nationwide in 2008, mandating new standards for the issuance of driver licenses and identification cards. Florida began issuing REAL ID-compliant credentials January 1, 2010. New driver licenses and ID cards have a star in the upper right corner of the card, indicating that they are REAL ID-compliant. As part of the REAL ID Act, there are documentation requirements for residents renewing or obtaining a new driver license or ID card. For the first in-office issuance after January 1, 2010, customers must bring original documents that validate their identity, Social Security Number (SSN) and residential address.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
4 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

In  Florida   

If you are getting a drivers license for the first time and are 18 years or older, you must complete the four-hour Drug and Alcohol Traffic Awareness (DATA) course and the written DMV test on road signs and road rules. Both the DATA course and the written DMV test are available online from DMV approved schools.

did you do this?

This is from  the florida DMV site 

and you don't just transfer a foreign license

u are considered  a new appicant

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I tried another DMV office and it worked for me after first one rejected me. But that was on K-1 Visa we got the license in New Jersey using the NOA1 for the Adjustment of Status.....they originally told my wife she had to wait for a green card which is WRONG!

My experience helping my wife get a license was traumatic. So much so I made a ranting thread and also thought it may help people in the situation. 

AjIr9Cp.jpgVBcIOnI.giftCxpVPB.gif19B8PJM.gifWJvjtpL.gifv0iSLWp.gif

2079070924_Webp.net-resizeimage(3).png.40aa360e06b2e929a52d4af17362bc4a.png

jDSUBz2.gif

20 hours ago, mushroomspore said:

I agree! 

Hello everyone,

Sorry this thread updated while I have been at work, I'll try to summarize and answer for your posts. At least we don't feel quite so alone! :)

It looks like we did manage to kick something off yesterday though a phone call through USCIS because we checked the SAVE site on a whim and two cases were opened for the DMV as well as the SSA (in Maryland /Single Signon office, I can't tell if that is a national office)?  But no one even offered that to us, my husband just put in his A# and it popped up. We're going to call a different DMV tomorrow and the SS office to see if there is a loose end here. 

SS Card question: 

We got the number and they said we were free to use it and we got a signed letter from the office to use as proof, but the card itself has not arrived and they won't be straight with us except it's on it's way. We have tried to work with them, but our SS office (only have one) is very very rude and on our last visit asked us why we keep coming when we keep telling them we have no card and don't really want to keep bothering them either! Our address is correct, they've seen his green card and other documents, so I am not sure what more they want from us. :( We took a ton of stuff to the DMV, GC, EAD, old I-94, SS letter, passport, you name it, but once she was on the computer, her database kicked back his status was not current and just asked was his previous status/visa was and to contact Homeland Security (who we did call and in turn, told us to call USCIS...)? I think it's a combination of something going on with the SS office that don't want to help and the DMV which doesn't know how to deal with immigrant and is trying to check through homeland security system which is not updated. I just wanted to exhaust options instead of the 3 Act play of going to our USCIS office and having them tell us something generic like "call your SS office". The phone tag is very frustrating because half the time they don't pick up and then it depends on who you get and if they are actually helpful!

Thank you for sharing your valuable experiences and advice with me everyone, I just hope to see a light at the end of the tunnel soon! We have seemed to his every roadblock through this process and I was hoping this one wouldn't give us much trouble (wishful thinking).  

Edited by angmig
editing

1 hour ago, adil-rafa said:

This is from  the florida DMV site 

and you don't just transfer a foreign license

u are considered  a new appicant

They told us that he didn't have to because he had his driver's license from his country, but then again, they could have no idea what's going on which could be happening...but they were perfectly fine to give him his license except according to them, he is not updated to perm resident in whatever system they ran his greencard or number to check his immigration status (I am not sure if they are using e-verify which is down bc the shut down or some other system). They didn't seem concerned with the 4-hour course or they would have told us I hope. 

Edited by angmig

22 hours ago, angmig said:

Hello,

My husband got his AoS approved and we got his conditional green card in the mail since December 11, 2018. We went to go get his driver's license today and he took and passed the tests but they denied him the license because they said he wasn't in the system!? He already has his EAD, his passport is fine, he has his green card, social security number (they won't send is the dang physical card which maybe this is a part of?) And the woman told is Homeland Security says his status is not updated. I was so pissed because they told us that we need to go back to USCIS which for us is 3 hrs away and we have to rent a car and its a big hassle. I don't understand what us going to an infopass is going to accomplish because it seems like something internal on THEIR end needs to be fixed. Is there someone else we can contact? I tried looking into the SAVE thing, but I don't quite understand it.  They won't even tell us what we need to bring to the infopass, we have a giant folder of documents, but I'm just so confused. We are in Florida. 😡🤬

Thank you!

Did you post this same question on Reddit?

@Cyberfx1024

Yes. I was honestly did not think the Reddit would get many replies at all since it's not really a popular subReddit. Being that reddit is a little more casual/quicker, I posted it there as well since I usually post to VJ. It may have been overkill, but it was a bit of a kneejerk reaction as this license situation piled on top of another bad one and I was flustered yesterday and my hubby was already attempting to make an infopass appt for next Monday and I was seeing what info we could get and if that was necessary atm. The combined info has been very helpful to me however! :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had an issue with getting a DL when I first arrive almost 3 yrs ago.  After a fruitless visit to the local DMV, and knowing I was right based on the rules published on their own web site, I called my local State Representative.  

I explained my situation an pointed to the rules on the website.  He said he would try to help.  Within an hour I had a call from the Director of DMV and had my license in hand by the end of the day.

You might try that route.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.