tlatrice70

Engaged but want to enter USA on a Tourist VISA

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

They are more interested in when you will be leaving.

Interesting.

From VJ I learnt that they are useleless at the embassy.

Today, I learn the same applies to POE. Mmmm learning never ceases..

Thanks Boiler

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

6 minutes ago, Timona said:

So no proof is needed as to why you are visiting? Just asked.

Thanks. 

Will not be writing any more invitation letters.

If (and it is a big "if") proof was asked for at the port of entry. An invitation letter would hold little weight. Heck, I can write you an invitation letter for a fee. Doesn't mean I know you.

Like Boiler mentioned, they want to be sure a person is not coming here to live or work which is a violation of their visitor visa.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
Just now, NuestraUnion said:

If (and it is a big "if") proof was asked for at the port of entry. An invitation letter would hold little weight. Heck, I can write you an invitation letter for a fee. Doesn't mean I know you.

Like Boiler mentioned, they want to be sure a person is not coming here to live or work which is a violation of their visitor visa.

Mmm makes 100% sense. Thanks for education 101..

I certainly did not know this "POE part" till today. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

1 minute ago, Timona said:

Mmm makes 100% sense. Thanks for education 101..

I certainly did not know this "POE part" till today. 

No problem. 

Another thing you should know. POE officers usually ask questions about a person's stay... "Who/where are you visiting?", "For how long is your stay?", etc, etc. They can certainly seek further proof of a persons intentions. That does not mean a look at an invitation letter.

For example, we have had people come to this board because a person on a visitor visa attempted to enter and the officer went through their phone and saw that the person had work lined up for them in the US. Another case where a person claimed to only visiting a "friend" and the officer calls said "friend" and finds out that they are in fact lovers. Other examples are where officers are told they are only coming for sight seeing and the officer(s) check their luggage and finds wedding dresses and resumes and stuff.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
6 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

No problem. 

Another thing you should know. POE officers usually ask questions about a person's stay... "Who/where are you visiting?", "For how long is your stay?", etc, etc. They can certainly seek further proof of a persons intentions. That does not mean a look at an invitation letter.

For example, we have had people come to this board because a person on a visitor visa attempted to enter and the officer went through their phone and saw that the person had work lined up for them in the US. Another case where a person claimed to only visiting a "friend" and the officer calls said "friend" and finds out that they are in fact lovers. Other examples are where officers are told they are only coming for sight seeing and the officer(s) check their luggage and finds wedding dresses and resumes and stuff.

Hahhaa yap. I have come across some of those here on VJ..

3 hours ago, tlatrice70 said:

She doesn't want to face the fact that they are married. 

Well, she’s going to need to. There are some potentially nasty surprises for her in store. 

Can you get an annulment if you got tricked into signing marriage papers? What are the divorce laws in her state?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.