kvalam

221g Request for additional proof of relationship

46 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, missileman said:

I agree.  I don't recall India as being that difficult...as Morocco, for example.

India IS difficult, perhaps not as much as a handful of others. India is classified as high fraud based on numerous posts here. And COs are fickle with K1s; any hint of too engaged is ripe for a K1 denial and suggestion for a CR1. 

OP hasn't shared if there are any flags in their case. Assuming the petitioner is a USC female, an India fiance marrying a USC female with a child is a flag in itself based on Indian norms. Any significant age/religion differences that could be construed as flags? How did the two meet? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
3 hours ago, Amit&Julie said:

In my opinion, it's better to focus on quality of evidence over quantity at the interview. Don't be shoving a stack of documents at them as soon as you go up to the window--I think in India that does come across as desperate. Be ready to confidently, respectfully answer their questions. Have your evidence organized well in an accordion folder or two. And have solid evidence--passport stamps, boarding passes, photos of you together than reinforce the particulars of your relationship--that span the entire time you've been together.

I received my fiancee's parcel yesterday, containing copies of her passport-stamps, boarding-pass & our photos from her trip to India last year, along with her income & tax stuff. I have already taken screenshots (one for every month of 3+ years of correspondence) from okcupid, facebook & skype, so that's going to be 50+ pages at least in total, which I hope will be sufficient but not necessarily going overboard. Ours might be a simpler case than most K1 cases, Indian male & white American female, both never married, no children, both atheists, I can speak English pretty well & I'm used to doing so in public, so I've not been overly concerned about the interview but coincidentally, I happened to read your interview-experience earlier today, especially the "long way to go to visit a friend" question had me wondering, since I'd also applied for a tourist-visa in 2017, which was denied (of course, without seeing all of my documents) but back then, I was relying on an agent to file my DS-160, & it never mentioned my girlfriend (& I didn't know any better) but referred to her father as my "friend" & US contact (this was suggested by the agent because the father had higher income & he had also provided me a letter addressed towards the Mumbai Consulate, taking responsibility for my stay in the US), though during the interview, when asked why I was visiting, I said that I was going to the US to meet my girlfriend, so now, I'm feeling a little bit concerned about how it might look to the CO, presuming they would have access to that information. 😔

2 hours ago, kvalam said:

Sorry to say, this is exactly what we did and they now requested more. We have them quality over quantity and it didn't work. Not in India. I wish I could have taken the extra trip and gone to the interview. 

Until a couple of weeks ago, we were also considering about having my American fiancee here but she has been very busy with work & studies; though seeing yours & some other cases from Mumbai Consulate, I'm also wondering whether it would be better to have her with me at the interview. 😐

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
19 minutes ago, K@S said:

I received my fiancee's parcel yesterday, containing copies of her passport-stamps, boarding-pass & our photos from her trip to India last year, along with her income & tax stuff. I have already taken screenshots (one for every month of 3+ years of correspondence) from okcupid, facebook & skype, so that's going to be 50+ pages at least in total, which I hope will be sufficient but not necessarily going overboard. Ours might be a simpler case than most K1 cases, Indian male & white American female, both never married, no children, both atheists, I can speak English pretty well & I'm used to doing so in public, so I've not been overly concerned about the interview but coincidentally, I happened to read your interview-experience earlier today, especially the "long way to go to visit a friend" question had me wondering, since I'd also applied for a tourist-visa in 2017, which was denied (of course, without seeing all of my documents) but back then, I was relying on an agent to file my DS-160, & it never mentioned my girlfriend (& I didn't know any better) but referred to her father as my "friend" & US contact (this was suggested by the agent because the father had higher income & he had also provided me a letter addressed towards the Mumbai Consulate, taking responsibility for my stay in the US), though during the interview, when asked why I was visiting, I said that I was going to the US to meet my girlfriend, so now, I'm feeling a little bit concerned about how it might look to the CO, presuming they would have access to that information. 😔

I wouldn't stress about the tourist visa too much. I'm guessing you were denied due to insufficient ties to India--correct? The CO does have access to that information and might ask about it. If so, stick to the facts. The good thing is that you were honest in your interview (assuming she was indeed your girlfriend at that time and not your fiancee), and perhaps you do consider her father a friend? So probably not a big deal. Below are some links to posts I would refer back to when I was freaking about my husband's denied tourist visa:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/457958-question-about-b2-denial-and-k1-visa/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/632999-lied-for-a-previous-visa-interviewhelp/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/576436-boyfriend-come-visit-me-in-usa-for-christmas-b-2-visa/?do=findComment&comment=7907820

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/576436-boyfriend-come-visit-me-in-usa-for-christmas-b-2-visa/?do=findComment&comment=7907838

38 minutes ago, K@S said:

This is but one example why India is considered high fraud. Applicants (or their agents) are willing to misrepresent the truth for a better shot at a visa. Stating an applicant would be visiting a higher-aged friend when in fact it's his gf was misrep. 

Anyhow, while information from previous applications and interviews are available to COs, this doesn't appear egregious enough to affect a K1. COs can put two and two together about the b2 attempt. K1 would be decided on it's own merit, ie documentation. Fyi, Indians with white American fiances/spouses DO attract scrutiny in Mumbai. 

I-751 journey

7 hours ago, Amit&Julie said:

In my opinion, it's better to focus on quality of evidence over quantity at the interview. Don't be shoving a stack of documents at them as soon as you go up to the window--I think in India that does come across as desperate. Be ready to confidently, respectfully answer their questions. Have your evidence organized well in an accordion folder or two. And have solid evidence--passport stamps, boarding passes, photos of you together than reinforce the particulars of your relationship--that span the entire time you've been together.

@Amit&Julie, but if all those documents were already submitted along with I-129 do they expect it be submitted again ?

Timeline
1 minute ago, ujones said:

@Amit&Julie, but if all those documents were already submitted along with I-129 do they expect it be submitted again ?

Not really sure if those should be re-submitted for 221g. Probably wouldn't hurt, but it should be "strengthened" with additional info since it was insufficient the first time around.

I would definitely use the 221g as a chance to demonstrate an ongoing relationship as well. What have you been up to as a couple SINCE you filed the I-129F petition? Any trips? Planned trips? Plans together of any sort?

1 minute ago, Amit&Julie said:

Not really sure if those should be re-submitted for 221g. Probably wouldn't hurt, but it should be "strengthened" with additional info since it was insufficient the first time around.

I would definitely use the 221g as a chance to demonstrate an ongoing relationship as well. What have you been up to as a couple SINCE you filed the I-129F petition? Any trips? Planned trips? Plans together of any sort?

Ok thanks. I front loaded my I-129 as much as possible & filed it right after we met the third time last June. So after submitting I-129 all I hve is our communication proofs for the last 6-8 months & my next visit is for the interview hopefully in March. But after reading all the reviews feeling stressed abt interview already . 

Timeline
1 minute ago, ujones said:

Ok thanks. I front loaded my I-129 as much as possible & filed it right after we met the third time last June. So after submitting I-129 all I hve is our communication proofs for the last 6-8 months & my next visit is for the interview hopefully in March. But after reading all the reviews feeling stressed abt interview already . 

Ok, it's a good thing you front loaded. Make sure your fiance has the full petition and its prrofs at the interview, but also document your ongoing relationship since then like you're doing. I think it will probably be a good thing for you to be at the interview, whether the CO wants to talk to you or not.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
9 hours ago, Amit&Julie said:

I wouldn't stress about the tourist visa too much. I'm guessing you were denied due to insufficient ties to India--correct? The CO does have access to that information and might ask about it. If so, stick to the facts. The good thing is that you were honest in your interview (assuming she was indeed your girlfriend at that time and not your fiancee), and perhaps you do consider her father a friend? So probably not a big deal. Below are some links to posts I would refer back to when I was freaking about my husband's denied tourist visa:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/457958-question-about-b2-denial-and-k1-visa/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/632999-lied-for-a-previous-visa-interviewhelp/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/576436-boyfriend-come-visit-me-in-usa-for-christmas-b-2-visa/?do=findComment&comment=7907820

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/576436-boyfriend-come-visit-me-in-usa-for-christmas-b-2-visa/?do=findComment&comment=7907838

Yes, it was due to insufficient ties. Of course. Right, it wasn't set in stone at the time, we just wanted to spend time in person to be able to decide whether we should get married or not. Honestly, I'm not sure since we don't necessarily communicate on a regular basis as friends would, though based on the conversations we have had (mostly related to the relationship), it is clear to both of us that we do have some interests & political views in common, which we have briefly talked about, & we do get along well. Thanks, that was reassuring, just to know that it mayn't be that critical to the result of the K1 interview. 🙂

By the way, I still have the letter that my fiancee's father had provided me (which the CO didn't see, even though I'd offered), where he clearly mentions that his daughter & I have been online-dating, & that they wanted me to be in the U.S. to see whether the relationship could develop further. Should I show that letter to the CO, if & when they do try to dig into the tourist-visa situation?

8 hours ago, WeGuyGal said:

This is but one example why India is considered high fraud. Applicants (or their agents) are willing to misrepresent the truth for a better shot at a visa. Stating an applicant would be visiting a higher-aged friend when in fact it's his gf was misrep. 

Anyhow, while information from previous applications and interviews are available to COs, this doesn't appear egregious enough to affect a K1. COs can put two and two together about the b2 attempt. K1 would be decided on it's own merit, ie documentation. Fyi, Indians with white American fiances/spouses DO attract scrutiny in Mumbai. 

Right, it's a terrible situation, & it may be because India is a highly regulated & bureaucratic country, that people are generally willing to ignore or sideline many rules, which aren't necessarily widely deemed to be super-important because otherwise, it can get very difficult to get anything done, given the excessive rules & regulations; though, of course, we should avoid letting that mindset dictate how we deal with things at all times. Of course, I should definitely have been more thoughtful about what was put on the DS-160 rather than relying so much on the judgment of the agent.

I hope you are right about that. Good to know. Right, I'm sure Indian-white couples do attract scrutiny but then, my understanding was that previous marriages, children, differences in age, religion, education & linguistic-barriers are deemed to be bigger red-flags by CO's than racial differences.

4 hours ago, K@S said:

Yes, it was due to insufficient ties. Of course...

I hope you are right about that. Good to know. Right, I'm sure Indian-white couples do attract scrutiny but then, my understanding was that previous marriages, children, differences in age, religion, education & linguistic-barriers are deemed to be bigger red-flags by CO's than racial differences.

To be frank about it, it's not about racial differences since probably more than 50% of the K-1 are will racially diverse folks. It's the Indian male and American female. 

And it's not even a racial difference thing, the success of marriages between Western European males and American females is significantly lower than the other way around.

So, I'm guessing that that, coupled with the ambiguity of the reason for your trip to the USA, is what is raising the red flags. 

Good luck.

21 hours ago, WeGuyGal said:

India IS difficult, perhaps not as much as a handful of others. India is classified as high fraud based on numerous posts here.  

And a thread on this link from a suspect advice site is one reason why.. sigh

I-751 journey

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We just had our interview today in the UAE. They requested additional proof of relationship. Is it better to take it by hand to the embassy or email it? We were given both options. I assumed taking it there would be better as they could review and get take her passport at the same time. UAE doesn't keep passports if there is a refusal. 

On 1/23/2019 at 11:11 AM, K@S said:

I was relying on an agent to file my DS-160, & it never mentioned my girlfriend (& I didn't know any better) but referred to her father as my "friend" & US contact (this was suggested by the agent because the father had higher income & he had also provided me a letter addressed towards the Mumbai Consulate, taking responsibility for my stay in the US), though during the interview, when asked why I was visiting, I said that I was going to the US to meet my girlfriend, so now, I'm feeling a little bit concerned about how it might look to the CO, presuming they would have access to that information. 😔

Edited by Jorgedig

14 hours ago, MichaelB265 said:

We just had our interview today in the UAE. They requested additional proof of relationship. Is it better to take it by hand to the embassy or email it? We were given both options. I assumed taking it there would be better as they could review and get take her passport at the same time. UAE doesn't keep passports if there is a refusal. 

They won't review it at the time it is delivered.  After reviewing it, they'll request the passport if approved.

14 hours ago, MichaelB265 said:

You should probably start your own thread.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.