refugee

Actually, the Numbers Show That We Need More Immigration, Not Less

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
11 hours ago, refugee said:

By any reasonable metric, “mass” immigration is a myth. The reality is that America desperately needs to pick up the pace of immigration for its economic health.

Imageimage

A naturalization ceremony in Los Angeles in December. CreditLucy Nicholson/Reuters

By Shikha Dalmia

Ms. Dalmia is a senior analyst at Reason Foundation, a writer at Reason magazine and a columnist at The Week.

• Jan. 15, 2019

President Trump has shut down the government to get money for a border wall that he says will stop illegal immigration. But the fact of the matter is that that’s not all he wants to stop. During the three-day shutdown last January, he demanded a 40 percent reduction in legal immigration, arguing that America has been swamped by immigrants.

“There’s a limit to how many people a nation can responsibly absorb into their societies, ” he has declared.

He is not alone in invoking this boogeyman. That America is being overwhelmed by a flood of immigrants has become conventional wisdom across the political spectrum, presented in books from, on the right, Reihan Salam of National Review, the son of Bangladeshi immigrants; in the center, Francis Fukuyama of Stanford, whose mother immigrated from Japan; and on the left, Jefferson Cowie of Vanderbilt University, who actually counsels his fellow progressives not to fear more immigration.

But by any reasonable metric, the idea that America is experiencing mass immigration is a myth. The reality is that we desperately need to pick up the pace of immigration to maintain our work force and economic health.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=newssearch&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi6us7AyP_fAhXDN30KHXUIDzsQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2019%2F01%2F15%2Fopinion%2Ftrump-immigration-myth.html&psig=AOvVaw2fQBg8XCbKFgbVnFe89dAe&ust=1548183875033875

So an opinion piece? 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

The ONLY reason democrats are so pro-illegal immigration today is because Trump has spoken out against it.  Period.

No one has ever presented a logical argument in support of continued illegal immigration.  Only emotional ones.

This poster gets it

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Might throw in here that the 6th anniversary of Mrs. T-B.'s naturalization is today (1/23).

Worth a first or repeat reading, see man:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/382775-mrs-t-b-the-citizenship-test/

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
On 1/21/2019 at 10:21 PM, Bill & Katya said:

So an opinion piece? 

Is posting opinions a violation ?

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, refugee said:

Nope, just questioning your use of an opinion piece since I received that same question from you related to the constant Trump investigation that was spurred by political opposition research.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, refugee said:

I thought you were taking a break?!?! 🙏

7 hours ago, E & J 2018 said:

I thought you were taking a break?!?! 🙏

I think that was the other token MDL but I am jet lagged badly 

Filed: Timeline
On 1/21/2019 at 2:51 PM, ALFKAD said:

@refugee - We have just over 1 million legal immigrants per year now.  We have more immigrants than any other nation by far; 4 times that of Germany, the #2 most-migrated-to country in the world.  Something like 47 million immigrants overall.  (Not counting the fact that technically, all of us come from immigrants). Almost 15% of our nation are immigrants from other nations in our lifetime.  How can you say this site, or this country, is anti-immigrant???

And as for sustainability... why do we need more?  More people equals less open land, less trees, more global warming, right?  Less food per person, which drives up the cost of food.  The US population is growing at a rate of 56 million per year.  Throw in another 1 million for legal immigrants.  For how long do you think we can support this growth rate?  Why do we need to “pick up the pace of immigration for our economic health”??  What will those 1 million immigrants do for the country that the 56 million aren’t able to do?

15 hours ago, refugee said:

You may have missed my post because I didn’t quote you, but I’d like to hear your thoughts on my post on page 1 when you have the time.

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
2 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

You may have missed my post because I didn’t quote you, but I’d like to hear your thoughts on my post on page 1 when you have the time.

You are correct that we are taking in 1 million per year including 1/2 through change of status. With 300 some million in population the immigration added less than 1/3 of 1 %.  Immigration is about 1/3 of our population growth .

You are wrong about the population growth rate of 56 million per year.

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

9 hours ago, refugee said:

You are correct that we are taking in 1 million per year including 1/2 through change of status. With 300 some million in population the immigration added less than 1/3 of 1 %.  Immigration is about 1/3 of our population growth .

So we should end criminal/terrorism background checks and health screenings and open the flood gates to anyone and everyone who wants to come here? I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. The article you originally posted seems to advocate for less border security on the premise that we need more immigrants.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I tend to think this cat is out of the bag, there is an article in the LA Times about the lines on the Southern Mexican border for Humanitarian Visas, a one year visa to enter Mexico and work if you want to.

Most according to the LA Times wish to use it to claims Asylum in the US, a very obvious opportunity.

With the way things are the situation will become more and more interesting. And there seems to be no end game, so I assume a generational change.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

15 hours ago, refugee said:

Says you, not the statistics on births in the US.

1 hour ago, spookyturtle said:

I’d like to see the stats where the population is growing by 56 million per year. Everything I’ve read said it was slowing. 

Thanks for calling me out Spooks.  I honestly can't remember where I came up with 56 mil - I was trying to subtract deaths and births for 2018, but obviously I screwed that up (can't seem to find the site I originally got the numbers from).  Let me try again, and this time I won't forget the credible links.

http://www.multpl.com/us-population-growth-rate/table/by-year

.71% X 325 mil (approx) is about 2.3 mil.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/births.htm

Births = 3.9 mil

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Deaths = 2.7 mil

Diff = 1.2 mil.  Add another mil for immigrants, and it is close to first link.

But back to my original point - the us population is growing, not declining.  Even without immigrants, it is positive.   Sure, it is growing at a slower rate than in the 70s.  But still growing. And I dont see how we "need immigrants" to sustain our economy. 

6 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

Thanks for calling me out Spooks.  I honestly can't remember where I came up with 56 mil - I was trying to subtract deaths and births for 2018, but obviously I screwed that up (can't seem to find the site I originally got the numbers from).  Let me try again, and this time I won't forget the credible links.

http://www.multpl.com/us-population-growth-rate/table/by-year

.71% X 325 mil (approx) is about 2.3 mil.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/births.htm

Births = 3.9 mil

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Deaths = 2.7 mil

Diff = 1.2 mil.  Add another mil for immigrants, and it is close to first link.

But back to my original point - the us population is growing, not declining.  Even without immigrants, it is positive.   Sure, it is growing at a slower rate than in the 70s.  But still growing. And I dont see how we "need immigrants" to sustain our economy. 

It’s definitely growing, just at a slower rate. I recall reading a while back that it was the slowest growth rate since the 1930’s. 

Personally I don’t see us hurting for a lack of people. And I feel that we do need immigration control to keep things in check. I’m all for immigration as long as it’s done legally. 

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015