pamawemo

Travel logistics and cell phone

17 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, pamawemo said:

2019 last time I checked. But thanks for asking.

Just checking. 

Like others have said, there's free WiFi in most airports. 

I don't recommend shipping her a phone from the US. Apart from the cost of shipping, you have to consider the different wireless bands. 

You could send her money via Xoom and have her buy a burner phone. The Philippines has a lot of cheapo Chinese knockoff smartphones. All she needs is a smartphone device to connect to the internet and you can chat with her via Messenger, Whatsapp, etc. 

Then she can give her current phone to her mom.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 1/22/2019 at 2:13 AM, Hank_ said:

An OPPO A37 works with Sprint & ATT (Ting & Cricket or Tracfone for short term service) costs about $100 in the Phils new.

Most airports have wifi and she could use messenger or such even. ... just an idea.

Like what others have already said, just have her use wifi at the airports.

If she doesn't want to rely on the airports having good wifi, have her get the $100 OPPO like Hank suggested and also get a traveler's roaming data SIM card for the new phone.  That way, wherever there's mobile signal, she'll have access to FB Messenger or whatever messaging apps you use.

I used a data SIM for a recent trip to the US and it worked perfectly with my old-model smartphone.  The SIM cost 1300 pesos (around $25) and it was good for 30 days.  Cheaper than the cheapest US pre-paid mobile SIM I could find online.

But I would recommend this only if she's extra anxious.  Plan B, if you will.  I don't think a data SIM is necessary if she'll only stay at airports until you two meet.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.