72 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, americaninlove said:

BUT...can you clarify what you mean by not redoing the medical until having the AOS appointment? Don't you need it completed to send in with the AOS paperwork?

No not if you are filing an I693. Because of the 2 year validity of the I693 you are only required to present it at the interview.

This is from the I485 instructions:

"You are NOT required to submit Form I-693 at the time you file your adjustment application, but may do so if you wish. Because of the time-limited validity of Form I-693, you may choose to submit your Form I-693 after you file your Form I-485. You may also submit Form I-693 in person at an interview in a USCIS field office, if an interview is required. By waiting to submit Form I-693, you may avoid having to repeat the immigration medical examination."

***Note for others reading this who ARE K1 and who DO have a valid medical and Vaccination Record, the I693 DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU. Do not get confused.

24 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

This is from the I485 instructions:

"You are NOT required to submit Form I-693 at the time you file your adjustment application, but may do so if you wish. Because of the time-limited validity of Form I-693, you may choose to submit your Form I-693 after you file your Form I-485. You may also submit Form I-693 in person at an interview in a USCIS field office, if an interview is required. By waiting to submit Form I-693, you may avoid having to repeat the immigration medical examination."

***Note for others reading this who ARE K1 and who DO have a valid medical and Vaccination Record, the I693 DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU. Do not get confused.

Wow, I am so lost here. So if you are a K1 who has a completed I-693 and DS-3025 then you submit that with AOS forms? If you don't have it (which I have no idea how you even know this) then you don't and just wait until you go to the interview?

1 minute ago, americaninlove said:

Wow, I am so lost here. So if you are a K1 who has a completed I-693 and DS-3025 then you submit that with AOS forms? Noooooo, K1s do not get I693s unless they have to redo their medical IN THE US. The I693 is the form the US Civil Surgeon fills out at a CS medical exam IN THE US. At the overseas Panel Physician medical, a DS30XX series of forms are filled out (NOT the I693) and are sealed in the medical packet which is submitted or sent to the K1 interview to later be sealed in the K1 Visa Packet and later opened at the POE.

Either way, a K1 submits NOTHING with the AOS application other than a photocopy of their copy of the DS3025 Vaccination Record. The ACTUAL overseas medical exam forms (AKA DS30XX series) is IN your sealed K1 packet and collected at your POE and is transferred to USCIS for your file there. At the AOS interview is when your medical packet will then again appear. The IO will examine it for completeness and fulfillment of the vaccination requirement and to confirm you filed AOS within one year of the actual medical date. 

(  If you don't have it (which I have no idea how you even know this)

Google hunny. You can easily look up the Panel Physician forms that are filled out overseas and see that they are not the I693 form.

The USCIS Policy Manual even states what forms are used overseas:

"Panel Physicians Panel physicians must annotate the results of the medical examination on the Medical Examination for Immigrant or Refugee Applicant (1991 TB Technical Instructions) (Form DS-2053) or the Medical Examination for Immigrant or Refugee Applicant (2007 TB Technical Instructions) (Form DS-2054), and related worksheets. [1]"

then you don't and just wait until you go to the interview? 

As a K1 you wont have a copy of your medical to submit with AOS. Do you understand that to begin with?

22 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Thanks. No idea why the is confusing me so much! And yes, I have googled and searched and read but am still lost lol (and I have two Ivy League degrees so I know in theory I’m smart enough for this lol). Last question since you’ve been so helpful here. So my fiancé will have a DS-3025 in his dorms but it will say the vaccinations are not complete because of the flu shot. He will submit that, as is, with this AOS stuff and that’s fine because he will redo it all before the interview? Is that close to correct?

36 minutes ago, americaninlove said:

Thanks. No idea why the is confusing me so much! And yes, I have googled and searched and read but am still lost lol (and I have two Ivy League degrees so I know in theory I’m smart enough for this lol). Last question since you’ve been so helpful here. So my fiancé will have a DS-3025 in his dorms but it will say the vaccinations are not complete because of the flu shot. He will submit that, as is, with this AOS stuff and that’s fine because he will redo it all before the interview? Is that close to correct?

You're okay. It took me a couple of months to wrap my head around the issue of the completeness of the DS3025 being "at the moment of the medical exam" complete and not "at the moment I am reading it" complete.

If the check box on the DS3025 for "complete" is NOT marked, he doesn't need to submit anything in the AOS application regarding the old medical at all as he will have to start fresh and get an I693 filled out.

If it IS marked "complete" AND it's the original, unedited, photocopy of the DS3025 that was submitted in his original medical packet (and not adjusted by his PP after the interview as suggested), then he SHOULD submit it with his AOS because it's marked complete. That word "complete" is more important than what you understand about the flu shot/flu season.

Keep in mind, as stated previously, submitting a medical does not have to take place until the interview. What the policy manual does not state is that you CAN attend the AOS interview without an I693 and when asked to submit one, you can do so after the interview. Now, you wont be approved for your GC UNTIL you submit that medical BUT I WILL tell you why, in his case, it might be to his benefit to wait until an I693 is requested AFTER the interview...

He COULD get an absolutely dumb IO at his interview who interprets his medical and vaccination forms in his A-file as complete and approves his application in error. It does happen. Especially with K1s who IOs are not used to the policies surrounding them or how to read the unusual form. So if I were him and his DS3025 is not marked as complete, I would ride it out until the very end.

12 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

You're okay. It took me a couple of months to wrap my head around the issue of the completeness of the DS3025 being "at the moment of the medical exam" complete and not "at the moment I am reading it" complete.

If the check box on the DS3025 for "complete" is NOT marked, he doesn't need to submit anything in the AOS application regarding the old medical at all as he will have to start fresh and get an I693 filled out.

If it IS marked "complete" AND it's the original, unedited, photocopy of the DS3025 that was submitted in his original medical packet (and not adjusted by his PP after the interview as suggested), then he SHOULD submit it with his AOS because it's marked complete. That word "complete" is more important than what you understand about the flu shot/flu season.

Keep in mind, as stated previously, submitting a medical does not have to take place until the interview. What the policy manual does not state is that you CAN attend the AOS interview without an I693 and when asked to submit one, you can do so after the interview. Now, you wont be approved for your GC UNTIL you submit that medical BUT I WILL tell you why, in his case, it might be to his benefit to wait until an I693 is requested AFTER the interview...

He COULD get an absolutely dumb IO at his interview who interprets his medical and vaccination forms in his A-file as complete and approves his application in error. It does happen. Especially with K1s who IOs are not used to the policies surrounding them or how to read the unusual form. So if I were him and his DS3025 is not marked as complete, I would ride it out until the very end.

This is super helpful, thank you!

On 1/23/2019 at 2:52 AM, K1visaHopeful said:

wow... now im happy that i did get this dumb flu shot before going to the medical. I usually dont get those. 

thank you for that info

3 hours ago, Toastbear said:

wow... now im happy that i did get this dumb flu shot before going to the medical. I usually dont get those. 

thank you for that info

Unless it was flu season on the day you did your PP medical and you didnt get your flu shot on purpose, it wouldnt matter if its flu season ever again. The requirements of the medical exam are time specific. If you completed everything that you had to complete on the day of the medical, your medical results are set in stone and will be complete forever. 

1 minute ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Unless it was flu season on the day you did your PP medical and you didnt get your flu shot on purpose, it wouldnt matter if its flu season ever again. The requirements of the medical exam are time specific. If you completed everything that you had to complete on the day of the medical, your medical results are set in stone and will be complete forever. 

yeah it was in november, so i knew i needed that flu shot. Thats why i said, glad i got it haha.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:15 AM, americaninlove said:

Can I jump on here? My fiancé is coming to America on feb 3rd. He had his medical but did not get a flu shot as there were and still are none available around him (or at the doctor where he had the medical). The doctor said he cannot provide the DS-3025 because he’s missing the flu shot. He will try to call around today and if he can get it and send the doctor that proof he will email him the DS-3025, but if not, what does he do? Go to a civil surgeon in the US and just hope they still have flu shots here? And he won’t be able to file AOS until that’s completed? This is super annoying. 

@K1Hopeful22 here’s my OP. Hope that clarifies. It is definitely flu season. But the shot was not available in those few weeks. It is now (not at his doctor but I’m sure somewhere) but now it seems he shouldn’t bother anyway. Yes, I’m confused. Just want to make sure he can file the AP as that’s the big concern since he needs to be able to get back home this summer. 

On 1/22/2019 at 9:41 AM, beloved_dingo said:

I have a question related to this..

My fiance's doctor did not give him back the DS-3025 form either (he had his medical in Melbourne, Australia last week). It is not currently flu season there, so they did not give him a flu shot. However, he is not returning to the U.S. on his K1 until May (after flu season here). 

So..should the lack of flu shot affect receiving his DS-3025 or not? I had assumed previously that he would just have a waiver for that particular requirement. He is calling tomorrow to find out why he was not given back the form but it seems silly to me that the flu shot would have prevented it in his case, as flu season is March - October there, from what I recall. 

Lastly, if the issue IS the flu vaccine, would he be able to get the shot in March/April whenever it becomes available and then the doctor in Melbourne would be able to give him the filled out DS-3025?

Hopefully what I said makes sense. Australia having opposite seasons to U.S. makes it a bit..odd. Haha

I thought this was you @americaninlove. I apologize for that but it just goes to show why VJ does not allow hijacking of posts.

• 10 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 1/22/2019 at 6:32 PM, K1visaHopeful said:

Either way, a K1 submits NOTHING with the AOS application other than a photocopy of their copy of the DS3025 Vaccination Record.

Just double checking that I understand this...

Ok, so my fiance was NOT given a copy of the DS3025.  Everything was put in a sealed envelope and sent to the consulate for his interview.  He even asked if there was any document that he needed to take with him and the doctor said no, it was all in the envelope.  He was only given a shot record from the clinic showing what vaccines he was given that day (the 4 that are required).

So we need to get a copy of the DS3025 from the doctor in Brazil to send in with the adjustment of status application?

I-129F packet sent = 06/15/2018

I-129F NOA1 = 06/21/2018

RFE = 12/19/2018

RFE response = 01/12/2019

I-129F NOA2 = 01/19/2019

NVC received = 02/14/2019 ♥️

Embassy received = 03/07/2019

Interview = 05/07/2019  Requested more documents.  Returned beneficiary's passport to him. Submitted documents 6/3/19. Email received saying they were received.

Emailed Consulate = 08/02/2019 asking about visa. Received email stating they had never received the documents. Sent documents again. 

Phone call from consulate = 08/07/2019 saying they were approving the visa. Fiancé has to send them his passport. 

Passport returned to consulate (in person) = 

Visa received = 09/05/2019

Entry into USA = 10/24/2019

Married = 11/23/2019

AOS sent =

11 hours ago, Mococatx said:

Just double checking that I understand this...

Ok, so my fiance was NOT given a copy of the DS3025.  Everything was put in a sealed envelope and sent to the consulate for his interview.  He even asked if there was any document that he needed to take with him and the doctor said no, it was all in the envelope.  He was only given a shot record from the clinic showing what vaccines he was given that day (the 4 that are required).

So we need to get a copy of the DS3025 from the doctor in Brazil to send in with the adjustment of status application?

Yes. Call or email them.

You'll submit a photocopy and bring your copy and a photocopy to the interview.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 1/21/2019 at 11:25 AM, The_Empyrean said:

Hi!

Long story short- My now wife got her medical abroad along with all the shots required. Doctor gave her ONLY I-693. Now, we're onto filing AoS and ran up to a dilemma. Will i-693 be enough (marked complete and signed), or need another visit to Civil Surgeon for DS-3025?

Thanks

I-xxx forms are USCIS forms.  Used domestically

DS-xxx forms are Department of State forms.  Used overseas.

Without checking I know for 100% sure that this person did not receive an I-693 from an overseas panel physician.  She would have never received her visa unless that was corrected.  The embassy IO’s have a checklist, and that checklist gets checked off, checked again by somebody else, before the visa is issued.

When the records are received:  Keep the form marked “completed” received from the panel physician in case it is needed again, make a copy of it, and send the copy in with your AOS package.

Purpose of I-693:  AOS from other categories requires an exam in the US and the civil surgeon will provide an I-693 as part of that exam.  

This does not apply to K-immigrants.

IF:  the record shows something missing (example MMR booster is common) then the immigrant takes the DS-3025 to a civil surgeon, the civil surgeon does the deed, converts the form to an I-693, charges too much, and a copy of the I-693 has to be filed instead of the DS-3025.

Hope that helps a little.

Now: this is an ollllllld thread, and has been hijacked, so you people need to start new threads for your issues.

Edited by Nitas_man

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.