MattjD91

K1 visa time running out before wedding date

32 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi,

I am currently waiting to hear from the USCIS and to set up the interview at the local consulate. We have been waiting two months so far. We are getting married in the middle of July 2019. (already cutting it short) I am worried that with the government shutdown, we are little to no chance of getting the visa done before our wedding. Does anyone have advise on what I should do? should we wait and hope that we get it done or should we go to plan B and start to find another visa option, if so, what visa option would be best for us? 

thank you,

Matt

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
14 minutes ago, MattjD91 said:

Hi,

I am currently waiting to hear from the USCIS and to set up the interview at the local consulate. We have been waiting two months so far. We are getting married in the middle of July 2019. (already cutting it short) I am worried that with the government shutdown, we are little to no chance of getting the visa done before our wedding. Does anyone have advise on what I should do? should we wait and hope that we get it done or should we go to plan B and start to find another visa option, if so, what visa option would be best for us? 

thank you,

Matt

first of all it is best to fill in your timeline and complete your profile, with that people here can advise you better by just checking your timeline and profile.

what country is the beneficiary? do you mean you already got your noa2 ? and nvc case number so i assumed that you case is already at embassy of beneficiary? if this is the case then July 2019 imo in still too far, you still will have enough time, if your case has no complications, you just need 1-2months until visa is printed to the beneficiary's passport (this is ideal, pls dont beat me up on this)

Edited by ourjourney_pc
addition

(L)Our Timeline(L)

2015 Nov 03 - met online app (Skout)

2016 Jan 18 - became couple officially

2017 Sep 15 - met for the first time in person (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 03 - met for the 2nd time (USA to Singapore - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 08 - got engaged 

2018 Sep 01 - met for the 3rd time (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2019 May 31 - 4th meeting :goofy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K1 Visa Timeline:

2018 Aug 22 - I129f sent (DIY)

2018 Aug 29 - NOA1

worries before approval:

1) submitted 1 statement/letter of intent both signed by the pet/ben

2) petitioner's accidentally/stupidly committed DWI after i129f submission

2019 Jan 16 - NOA2 (140 days from Noa1 - No RFE)

2019 Feb 06 - case received by NVC (21 days from Noa2)

2019 Feb 08 - case number received

2019 Feb 19 - left NVC

2019 Feb 25 - case received by SG consulate

2019 Feb 28 - Packet 3 received

2019 Mar 04 - Packet 3 sent back to SG consulate

2019 Mar 07 - Packet 4 received (interview schedule)

2019 Mar 12 - Medical (additional vaccine on 19 Mar)

2019 Mar 27 - Interview (221g, medical results pending)

2019 Mar 27 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 27 - Clinic sent medical results to Embassy

2019 Mar 28 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 29 - Application Received

2019 Apr 01 - Issued

2019 Apr 04 - VOH

53 minutes ago, MattjD91 said:

should we wait and hope that we get it done or should we go to plan B and start to find another visa option, if so, what visa option would be best for us?  

Option 1: Start planning to move the date in case it happens. No firm dates or deposits should be made prior to the visa being in hand.

Option 2: Meet anywhere (US, home, or on a trip elsewhere together) and marry. Withdraw the I-129F and start over with an I-130 for a spousal visa. ETA: ~12-16 months from I-130 filing to interview.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
53 minutes ago, ourjourney_pc said:

first of all it is best to fill in your timeline and complete your profile, with that people here can advise you better by just checking your timeline and profile.

what country is the beneficiary? do you mean you already got your noa2 ? and nvc case number so i assumed that you case is already at embassy of beneficiary? if this is the case then July 2019 imo in still too far, you still will have enough time, if your case has no complications, you just need 1-2months until visa is printed to the beneficiary's passport (this is ideal, pls dont beat me up on this)

From the way the OP sounds and the very distant wedding date. he's still waiting on NoA2

if you've been waiting 2months already then i'd say you petitioned November 2018.  Don't expect to hear anything any earlier than May 2019. You probably be getting your interview sometime in July, so your wedding date will be much later past July

To summarize your frustration, I've been waiting 4 months so far. No NoA2 yet

Edited by kingdomcome84

NoA1 - September 26, 2018

NoA2 - February 4, 2019  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
5 minutes ago, kingdomcome84 said:

From the way the OP sounds and the very distant wedding date. he's still waiting on NoA2

if you've been waiting 2months already then i'd say you petitioned November 2018.  Don't expect you NoA2 any earlier than May 2019

you probably be getting your interview sometime in July, so you wedding date will be much later past july

I've been waiting 4 months already. No NoA2 yet

yeah you are prolly right, i just took upon below higlighted.

1 hour ago, MattjD91 said:

Hi,

thank you,

Matt

(L)Our Timeline(L)

2015 Nov 03 - met online app (Skout)

2016 Jan 18 - became couple officially

2017 Sep 15 - met for the first time in person (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 03 - met for the 2nd time (USA to Singapore - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 08 - got engaged 

2018 Sep 01 - met for the 3rd time (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2019 May 31 - 4th meeting :goofy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K1 Visa Timeline:

2018 Aug 22 - I129f sent (DIY)

2018 Aug 29 - NOA1

worries before approval:

1) submitted 1 statement/letter of intent both signed by the pet/ben

2) petitioner's accidentally/stupidly committed DWI after i129f submission

2019 Jan 16 - NOA2 (140 days from Noa1 - No RFE)

2019 Feb 06 - case received by NVC (21 days from Noa2)

2019 Feb 08 - case number received

2019 Feb 19 - left NVC

2019 Feb 25 - case received by SG consulate

2019 Feb 28 - Packet 3 received

2019 Mar 04 - Packet 3 sent back to SG consulate

2019 Mar 07 - Packet 4 received (interview schedule)

2019 Mar 12 - Medical (additional vaccine on 19 Mar)

2019 Mar 27 - Interview (221g, medical results pending)

2019 Mar 27 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 27 - Clinic sent medical results to Embassy

2019 Mar 28 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 29 - Application Received

2019 Apr 01 - Issued

2019 Apr 04 - VOH

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 hours ago, MattjD91 said:

Hi,

thank you,

Matt

Please fill out your timeline; we can give better answers if we know where exactly you are in the process.

Are you two months from filing (in which case you're probably 3-5 months from NOA2, 1.5 months at NVC, and 1.5 months between ready and interview in Sydney, and won't make a mid-June wedding date without a lot of luck and getting on the plane almost literally the day after you get your visa), two months from NOA2 (barring unexpected delays, you'll probably be fine), or two months from your case being ready in Sydney (in which case you're already experiencing a greater than normal waiting time for your interview, and might want to check in with the embassy)?

Having said that

- As mentioned in lots of threads here, the government shutdown does not directly affect K-1 processing (though some secondary effects can cause problems in getting paperwork)

- As everyone has said, on a K-1, you really shouldn't set a wedding date before you actually have your visa. I'm still reminding family (who I'm very grateful for the help with wedding planning) of this and Anastasia's got an interview date in a few weeks, but if you've already put a deposit down on a venue or did anything else that required a firm date, contact them and see what can be done.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you just submitted the i129f in November 2018 (?), you need to move your wedding date. It is currently taking 9-10 months (and that's without any delays and A LOT of luck).

We submitted our i129f in June 2018 and we still can't book our interview, but it will likely be late March. That is way too stressful to have a wedding booked that close to when you MIGHT get an interview scheduled. Although, I suspect your interview won't be until August or later for you based on current wait times, and accounting for some extra time for your sanity.

That said, we DID book our wedding date, before we submitted our i129f petition so we could include evidence of wedding plans in our package. We booked the venue and photographers (who know about this process and they are flexible). BUT for our own sanity, our wedding is booked for OCTOBER 2019, so nearly 1.5 years in advance at the time of submitting our i129f petition. Yes, we plan to use basically the entire 6 months after my likely interview date (March 2019) before I enter the US. Then we will have nearly 90 days before our wedding. This gives us the peace of mind to book a proper wedding with the rest of the vendors we want in no rush, after my interview in March. If there are delays in me booking my interview, we have such a cushion of time, I am confident it won't affect our wedding day at this point.

Edited by NicoleM

My K1 Visa Timeline:                                                                 My AOS Timeline:

NOA1 - June 15, 2018                                                                NOA - Nov. 8, 2019

My K1 visa interview - April 3, 2019 = APPROVED!! :D       EAD & AP approved - Feb. 6, 2020

Visa on hand - April 8, 2019                                                      EAD/AP combo card & SSN card in married name received - Feb. 13, 2020

US entry - July 31, 2019                                                             Green card interview scheduled - August 11, 2020

Our wedding day - Oct. 14, 2019 ❤️                                        Green card interview - September 10, 2020 = APPROVED! :D

Green card received - September 16, 2020

My ROC Timeline

NOA - July 14, 2022

Fingerprints Were Taken NOA - August 2, 2022

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
6 hours ago, MattjD91 said:

Hi,

thank you,

Matt

Government shutdown doesn't affect USCIS. Planning ANYTHING with any visa is just not a good idea. You don't know if you're going to get approved yet or how long it's going to take. I hope that you can cancel the venues you planned for free.

Like other people said, it's a little unclear where in the process you are, but if you end up having to cancel the wedding, don't plan anything else. You can alway get married within 90 days and then plan a big wedding later on. USCIS is very understanding that you don't have proof of big wedding plans, especially since they advise it! Also, don't book your ticket in advance. There are tons of people that can tell you they had to cancel or reschedule their flight (usually for a big sum) because their visa wasn't ready in time. Just let it go and start planning things once you're physically in the US on your K1 visa.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

Please fill out your timeline; we can give better answers if we know where exactly you are in the process.

Are you two months from filing (in which case you're probably 3-5 months from NOA2, 1.5 months at NVC, and 1.5 months between ready and interview in Sydney, and won't make a mid-June wedding date without a lot of luck and getting on the plane almost literally the day after you get your visa), two months from NOA2 (barring unexpected delays, you'll probably be fine), or two months from your case being ready in Sydney (in which case you're already experiencing a greater than normal waiting time for your interview, and might want to check in with the embassy)?

Having said that

- As mentioned in lots of threads here, the government shutdown does not directly affect K-1 processing (though some secondary effects can cause problems in getting paperwork)

- As everyone has said, on a K-1, you really shouldn't set a wedding date before you actually have your visa. I'm still reminding family (who I'm very grateful for the help with wedding planning) of this and Anastasia's got an interview date in a few weeks, but if you've already put a deposit down on a venue or did anything else that required a firm date, contact them and see what can be done.

Thank you for your reply. We are two months from filing. 

Our original plan was she she would be moving to Australia, however due to personal reasons those plans had to change pretty quick, hence why we have left it so late. From the advice of everyone on here we won’t make the wedding date. Unfortunately deposits have been made and people have booked trips, so I’m thinking we have the celebration as planned  but we dont do the marriage license until I get the visa, than we can do a little ceremony privately. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
22 minutes ago, MattjD91 said:

Our original plan was she she would be moving to Australia, however due to personal reasons those plans had to change pretty quick, hence why we have left it so late. From the advice of everyone on here we won’t make the wedding date. Unfortunately deposits have been made and people have booked trips, so I’m thinking we have the celebration as planned  but we dont do the marriage license until I get the visa, than we can do a little ceremony privately. 

That's going to put you in the situation of being too married for a K-1 fiancee visa and not married enough for a CR-1 spousal visa.  Many people have been denied K-1 visas for "celebrations" without a marriage license.  

34 minutes ago, MattjD91 said:

Yeah, dont. 

You do that and your K1 will be flat denied. Horrible plan. You made a mistake and will probably lose money but that's still better than having a visa denied and then waiting another year for another process to be approved. 

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
41 minutes ago, MattjD91 said:

So you had planned for the wedding in Australia or US? Never make from dates.
It's really taking a much longer time. Just go with the flow expect about June or July to hear from USCIS then you will move on the NVC and case# then Embassy You have about another 7 to 10 months to go. Then when you arrive in US you have to marry within 90 days.
So tell everyone to wait until you are approved then they ca change their tickets.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

1 hour ago, MattjD91 said:

K1 will be denied if you do that. Sorry but the immigration process is unpredictable with timing. It is never advised to plan personal stuff until the legal stuff is approved and the right papers are in your hands. If the celebration is that important, cancel the K1 and go through with it and then file CR1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.