Dave&Kal

I was wondering!

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Dave&Kal said:

On second thought i should disagree to some levels though! Its more about the party in power i guess! I remember Harper trying to cancel Canadian citizenship of those not really residing in Canada for long and benefiting the citizenship coverage outside the borders! Though that plan is history now 🙂

Remember the full sentence of what I said was this, though:

Canada is more tolerant of dual citizenship than America, when it comes to declaring it openly I've found.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

22 minutes ago, geowrian said:

What other countries recognize you as is not of concern to the US.

If entering a third country with an American passport, and something happens that needs consular assistance etc, then it is “of concern” I guess. I know this not really the subject under discussion, but it is something that I have come across where dual citizens sometimes have an incentive to decide which passport to use to enter a third country.

An issue could also arise I believe if the US and your country of other nationality are officially at war? Isn’t this the main motivator (or one of them) behind the oath of allegiance?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

decide which passport to use to enter a third country.

That is very important too :)

Many years ago when i was working in China, i recieved more favorable treatments from the public compared to my American colleagues and cheaper visa extension fees too 😁😁😁 but i dont think it is good to be a Canadian in China today! You follow the news? 😁😁 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I have been a dual US/Canadian citizen since birth, have lived and worked in both countries, have two passports, travel between the two countries all the time.  When it comes to daily life, what really matters is where you reside, for things like taxes and such.  Also the US taxes its citizens on world-wide income, wherever they live, whereas Canada doesn't.  You do need to inform Revenue Canada when you become a resident of the US so they won't expect tax returns from you and to keep your SIN account current so that you can get Canadian pension payments after retirement if you qualify.  I remember one trip between the two countries I made the mistake of accidentally pulling out both passports at border control once and got some questions about my dual citizenship, but no delays or problems.  Now I only show one passport at a time and rarely use my Canadian passport since I am a resident of the US at this time.  I didn't have to do the US oath of allegiance since I didn't naturalize, but for those who do, they don't ask you to give up your passport from Canada or anything like that.  Even if they did, you could get another one with your Canadian birth certificate.  The US can't take your naturalized citizenship away from you except for very rare circumstances.  You can also formally renounce US citizenship if you choose to like Eduardo Saverin, one of the founders of Facebook, did a few years ago.  I think Prince Albert of Monaco did too in order to avoid paying US taxes on the fortune he inherited when he became a prince.  He inherited his US citizenship through his Mom Grace Kelly.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

.  I think Prince Albert of Monaco did too in order to avoid paying US taxes on the fortune he inherited when he became a prince.  He inherited his US citizenship through his Mom Grace Kelly.

Thanks for the input. 

As part of citizenship questioner, you have to confirm your willingness to give up your titles, such as prince! But it is good to know after citizenship still we can upgrade to a prince ! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
16 hours ago, Dave&Kal said:

That is very important too :)

Many years ago when i was working in China, i recieved more favorable treatments from the public compared to my American colleagues and cheaper visa extension fees too 😁😁😁 but i dont think it is good to be a Canadian in China today! You follow the news? 😁😁 

Not quite the case lately though as you mentioned.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ny-news-china-canada-drugs-death-sentence-diplomatic-immunity-huawei-exec-arrest-20190114-story.html

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
43 minutes ago, KeepHope said:

As recently as a year ago,  the Canadian Government web site recommended all dual citizens to identify themselves as Canadian citizens upon entering Canada, if asked about their citizenship and vice versa when heading into the United States. This recommendation has either vanished or I can't locate it anymore.

I believe they meant to focus on those who were dual Canadian citizens with another country (not the US) when boarding the plane and flying into Canada....It says this also:

Exception: If you are an American-Canadian dual citizen with a valid U.S. passport, you don’t need a Canadian passport to fly to Canada. However, you will still need to carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.

It would make sense they would recommend it for those who are travelling on other foreign passports though----I'm assuming any recommendation (not requirement) to declare oneself as Canadian would be so the person would have access to Canadian consular services if needed.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Korea DPR
Timeline

Hopefully this direct quote from the Department of State settles everything for you definitively:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. A U.S. citizen may naturalize in a foreign state without any risk to his or her U.S. citizenship. However, persons who acquire a foreign nationality after age 18 by applying for it may relinquish their U.S. nationality if they wish to do so. In order to relinquish U.S. nationality by virtue of naturalization as a citizen of a foreign state, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. nationality. Intent may be shown by the person’s statements and conduct.

Dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries, and either country has the right to enforce its laws. 

I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,

Neither are you here to live up to mine.

I don't owe no one no obligation 
So everything is fine, fine

I said, I am that I am I am, I am, I am

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
22 hours ago, HonoraryCitizen said:

I think you’re worrying unnecessarily because although the USA does not recognize dual citizenship, nobody is going to bother after your naturalization when you identify yourself as a dual citizen or display allegiance to your other country. Nor is it against any law.

Now if you’ve ever made false claim to US Citizenship, you’re ineligible to ever become a US citizen. It’s not as simple as that though, for example if you lied to a friend that you’re a citizen it doesn’t count. It must meet certain specific criteria before you will be disqualified because of it.

I hope I understood your question correctly. Wasn’t too clear.

I don't think there's actually a law that says US does not recognize dual citizenship. Do you have anything to back this up? It's unwritten language that it's usually frowned upon but outright against the law, I doubt.

Timeline
23 hours ago, Dave&Kal said:

Two of the very important questions during the interview are, if you have ever stated orally or in written to be a US citizen! And also agreeing to give up loyalty to your previous country/ies of citizenship as part of becoming a US citizen. I am curious, after becoming a US citizen, if it would be against any law when you are asked to identify yourself,  to reply  being a US & any other country's citizen all together? I know you could keep other citizenship/s ( except few countries), but what specifically wanted to know if it is that sensetive, the person finds himself/herself the citizen of other countries while having agreed to give up loyalty to those contries after citizenship oath!   Being dual citizen is not illigal! And i know that! My emphesis is on identifying yourself as dual while you have taken oath just to be a US citizen!  Am i making my point clear?

Now there's a debate whether the oath of naturalization says to give up citizenship of other country or to give up allegiance to other countrt. I can argue that citizenship and allegiance are two different things. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Korea DPR
Timeline
16 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

I don't think there's actually a law that says US does not recognize dual citizenship. Do you have anything to back this up? It's unwritten language that it's usually frowned upon but outright against the law, I doubt.

I never said there is a law that the USA doesn't recognize dual citizenship so I do not have to back up something I never said.

I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,

Neither are you here to live up to mine.

I don't owe no one no obligation 
So everything is fine, fine

I said, I am that I am I am, I am, I am

Timeline
1 hour ago, HonoraryCitizen said:

I never said there is a law that the USA doesn't recognize dual citizenship so I do not have to back up something I never said.

"Although the USA does not recognize dual citizenship"- I guess I misunderstood your statement. Cool.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.