Voice of Reason

US shutdown: Trump angered by Democrat rejection of 'compromise'

161 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, eieio said:

I hope the shutdown keeps going. In order to reduce the size of the government there will always be a few sad stories in the mix. The vast majority will be perfectly fine and many will find better and more rewarding work. 

Now we just need to find another way to shutdown the other 80%.  Thin the herd so to speak.

cnn will find the one single minority Mom somewhere that was already 2 months behind, but is getting foreclosed because of the shutdown 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 minute ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

cnn will find the one single minority Mom somewhere that was already 2 months behind, but is getting foreclosed because of the shutdown 

and has to choose between medicine to keep her alive or buy food. Meanwhile she is 5' 2" and 300 pounds , smokes two packs a day while texting on her iPhone 10plus.

1 hour ago, jg121783 said:

That's just like "the only way to see what is in the ACA is to pass it". Given the track record of the democrats I wouldn't trust them.

I think you have that in reverse. Trump is going out of his way to try to negotiate (honestly to our detriment) and the democrats are the ones engaging in bullying. As I have said Trump should just use his executive authority to fund the wall. The democrats could end this mess by passing a bill with the miniscule amount of funding being requested for border security. Their TDS prevents them from doing that.

I'm sure you see it that way. Democrats don't want the wall. They won't lose support for not caving in on that. If Trump uses executive power to do it, that is his risk/benefit alone. Obviously there is a reason he hasn't done it yet.

I would say Trump is not getting the wall the way he's going right now. He's supposed to know the art of the deal so he should be able to figure this one out. He has to know his bargaining position, so he is underestimating his opposition. Let's see how long it takes. He's not going to be able to give some fluff to the Democrat's to get the wall. He's going to have to give them everything they wanted and more. I don't see it happening. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
55 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Offer them more, or ask them what they want. I think the Democrats already answered. Reopening the government is a prerequisite to further discussion. 

Didn’t they already state they wanted to fix the DACA issue? I guess the Dems are wishy-washy.  As to reopening the government, if Trump does that he will get nothing.  Btw, at this point I doubt even if Trump offered them universal healthcare would do it for the TDS afflicted Dems.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

59 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Offer them more, or ask them what they want. I think the Democrats already answered. Reopening the government is a prerequisite to further discussion. 

You are way too smart to really believe that 

9 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

You are way too smart to really believe that 

I don't believe negotiations will lead to a wall. If it is even a possibility, what the Democrats  would want in return would be too much.  What I am saying is they are not even listening to his offers right now. If they reopen the will "negotiate" but you are right, I don't see a wall coming out of that.

Right now we have a stalemate, with the likely choices being reopen the government and don't get a wall, or use executive power and get one. I think both of those are Trump's choice. The 3rd choice is wait and see who feels enough political pressure to cave. Given the personalities and history, that could be a while.

They can pretend the current negotiations are leading somewhere, but we all know they are not.  

24 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Didn’t they already state they wanted to fix the DACA issue? I guess the Dems are wishy-washy.  As to reopening the government, if Trump does that he will get nothing.  Btw, at this point I doubt even if Trump offered them universal healthcare would do it for the TDS afflicted Dems.

Giving Trump the wall would be politically costly for the Democrats, given that they have made it an issue from day one. It would also be a huge victory for the president. You have to ask what would need to be given back to offset that. When Trump talks about how he won, the Democrat's would have to be able to say they won too. I don't know what he could give realistically to do that.

2 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I have that already on my FB feed. I served with her husband who is a Federal prison guard and he is working without pay now. So she is constantly complaining. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Giving Trump the wall would be politically costly for the Democrats, given that they have made it an issue from day one. It would also be a huge victory for the president. You have to ask what would need to be given back to offset that. When Trump talks about how he won, the Democrat's would have to be able to say they won too. I don't know what he could give realistically to do that.

Personally, I don’t think he could give them anything that would satisfy the leadership from a political standpoint.  It seems pretty clear that Pelosi and Schumer are not willing to bend at all to anything that even slightly appears to be a victory for Trump.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
Just now, Randyandyuni said:

Forget the wall, eliminate sanctuary cities and enforce existing laws

You mean e-verify?

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

3 minutes ago, refugee said:

You mean e-verify?

And the rest of our laws

and really eliminate sanctuary cities

eliminate the-diversity lottery

34 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

and its sad because securing the border and assimilating the people already here are in the best interest of the country, Reagan was hoodooed into giving amnesty in return he was promised we would shut down illegal immigration on the southern border. The amnesty happened the fixing the border problem never happened. 5 billion will not fix it along but it will show we are serious. We have to also start bringing down the hammer on people that hire them,  stop this absurd mass request for asylum nonsense and figure out a guest worker  program that is tied to unemployment. I am ok with allowing those that already have a life here to stay as long as they pass muster.  We allowed them in with a wink and and nod and most are good people

and on edit no more sanctuary cities everyone follows the law and yes eliminate non merit based immigration  

Edited by Nature Boy 2.0

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

I don't believe negotiations will lead to a wall. If it is even a possibility, what the Democrats  would want in return would be too much.  What I am saying is they are not even listening to his offers right now. If they reopen the will "negotiate" but you are right, I don't see a wall coming out of that.

Right now we have a stalemate, with the likely choices being reopen the government and don't get a wall, or use executive power and get one. I think both of those are Trump's choice. The 3rd choice is wait and see who feels enough political pressure to cave. Given the personalities and history, that could be a while.

They can pretend the current negotiations are leading somewhere, but we all know they are not.  

I agree. In the mind of most Democrat politicians....if Trumps gets the wall he wins in 2020. If he doesn't get a wall they have a good chance.