JessicaBlims

Would disclosure HIV status delay Medical Exam? And affect Consular Interview?

12 posts in this topic

Hi there I would like to know if disclosure of HIV status during medical background check  will delay Medical Exam? ( please provide timeframe)

-Like any other documents to provide and test to do? 

-  would it also affect consular processing interview in US Embassy?

Edited by Bailey123
Add topic

16 minutes ago, Bailey123 said:

Hi there I would like to know if disclosure of HIV status during medical background check  will delay Medical Exam? ( please provide timeframe)

Hi, I can't say for certainty but I remember coming across an article that stated HIV is no longer considered a reason for denial. It's like any other disease such as diabetes or high blood pressure. 

I've heard they do check for things like Tuberculosis and Syphilis. Here is an article that talks about the exam:

https://www.***removed***/immigrant-visa/medical-examination-consular-processing.html

16 hours ago, Chris&Ale said:

Hi, I can't say for certainty but I remember coming across an article that stated HIV is no longer considered a reason for denial. It's like any other disease such as diabetes or high blood pressure. 

I've heard they do check for things like Tuberculosis and Syphilis. Here is an article that talks about the exam:

https://www.***removed***/immigrant-visa/medical-examination-consular-processing.html

Thank you. They say if hiv status has been declared sputum smear test will be done per practice which can result to delays although xray for TB is negative.

anyone can share info on this?

6 hours ago, JessicaBlims said:

???

I tried to find some info on this subject for you. I found that physicians no longer use the skin test but are directed to use the blood test which I guess is a reliable way to detect for TB.

I did read that if they do the sputum cultures, there will be a delay of about 2 months while they wait for the test results. 

I'm going to guess that if they do the blood test and it comes back negative AND if chest is clear, they may not do a sputum test. Perhaps it is reserved for those who show up as having latent TB on the blood test OR have had exposure to it some other point. 

I also read that if the TB test came back positive that they require the beneficiary to take 6 months of treatment. I would assume they would delay or deny the visa in that case. Ugh. 

6 hours ago, Chris&Ale said:

I tried to find some info on this subject for you. I found that physicians no longer use the skin test but are directed to use the blood test which I guess is a reliable way to detect for TB.

I did read that if they do the sputum cultures, there will be a delay of about 2 months while they wait for the test results. 

I'm going to guess that if they do the blood test and it comes back negative AND if chest is clear, they may not do a sputum test. Perhaps it is reserved for those who show up as having latent TB on the blood test OR have had exposure to it some other point. 

I also read that if the TB test came back positive that they require the beneficiary to take 6 months of treatment. I would assume they would delay or deny the visa in that case. Ugh. 

Hi there my fiance had to take the sputum test . I wanted to know how they would notify us that they have completed the test

On 1/20/2019 at 1:21 AM, JessicaBlims said:

Hiv is no longer tested at visa medical interviews

7 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Hiv is no longer tested at visa medical interviews

True BUT for those persons living with HIV, they will be required to submit sputum cultures which require 2 months to obtain results. These sputum cultures are required to detect the presence of Tuberculosis. It seems regular TB test is not accurate if a person has HIV.

33 minutes ago, Chris&Ale said:

True BUT for those persons living with HIV, they will be required to submit sputum cultures which require 2 months to obtain results. These sputum cultures are required to detect the presence of Tuberculosis. It seems regular TB test is not accurate if a person has HIV.

If so then there would be a possible delay.

I know that:  hiv is not tested, the TB test is a combination of blood test/x-ray.  

Panel physician instructions:

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/tuberculosis-panel-technical-instructions.html

According to the CDC you are correct.  Current instructions require additional spitum culture testing for applicants known to be living with hiv.

40 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

If so then there would be a possible delay.

I know that:  hiv is not tested, the TB test is a combination of blood test/x-ray.  

Panel physician instructions:

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/tuberculosis-panel-technical-instructions.html

According to the CDC you are correct.  Current instructions require additional spitum culture testing for applicants known to be living with hiv.

So it will really cause delay.

but if disclosure is not compulsary , does the meds for hiv not to be disclosed as well, right?

but once arrive in the POA, port of entry does the meds needs to be declared in US customs?

any suggestions? Anyone who had the same experience?

Edited by JessicaBlims

1 minute ago, JessicaBlims said:

So it will really cause delay.

but if disclosure is not compulsary , does the meds for hiv not to be disclosed as well, right?

but once arrive in the POA, port of entry does the meds needs to be declared in US customs?

any suggestions? Anyone who had the same experience?

We never declared anything like meds at US customs.  My wife carries a pharmacy with her for the kids and whatever.  We nust have entered and exited a jillion times.

Personal medications prescribed to you aren’t declared anywhere that I know of.

It is your requirement to accurately report medical history and current medications you are taking at your visa medical.  If the panel physician has to run additional testing it’s just part of the rules.

I had to call the civil surgeon's office late last week to ask about an unrelated matter and while on the phone, I asked her about it out of curiosity. 

She told me very matter of factly that most people just never tell the doctor and the doctor can't ask if the applicant has HIV. But she did say if it is disclosed, then they have to do the sputum sample which takes 2 months and so you would have to reschedule your embassy interview for an additional 2 months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.