MmmBlondie

PANIC MODE! New US Citizen

31 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I became a US Citizen on Thursday but now I'm in panic mode. Hopefully one or two of you may be able to help. 

I'm going back to the UK to see family in March for spring break. I read somewhere I have to leave and enter the US on a US passport now I'm a citizen. Is this true? I assume, and I may be wrong, that I'm automatically considered a dual national with the UK so cant I just use my British passport?? I will hopefully update my SSN and drivers license on mon/Tues but then I have to send my actual certificate in for the passport? Correct? Should I expedite it or is it possible to get it back by March? 

And is this is a dumb Q but can I travel with both passports if I receive the US one? Just so its quicker in the lines? 

I've been reading about taxes too. I dont own or do anything UK based now but when I file for my US taxes this year do I notify them I'm a dual citizen now. I'm so confused by everything. 

Lastly, my daughter was born here in Florida. Does she automatically get dual citizenship and can I apply for her UK passport? Either here stateside or when I visit my family? 

Thank you. 

1 minute ago, aaron2020 said:

US citizens are required to use a US passport to enter the US.  You need a US passport.  

Enter UK on your UK passport.  Enter US on your US passport.

So I do need both? I didnt know if it was sketchy looking to have both passports on me. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Just now, MmmBlondie said:

So I do need both? I didnt know if it was sketchy looking to have both passports on me. 

Yes, you need both.  Nothing sketchy at all.  This is normal for dual citizens.  

You don’t have to use your UK passport to enter the UK but 9 times out of 10 the UK/EU line is quicker than the “all other passports” line. 

You MUST however use your US passport to enter the USA. It’s illegal for US citizens to use any other passport to enter the country. Aside from that, it won’t work any other way. How do you expect to be admitted into the USA permanently with a UK passport and no green card or visa? Not possible. 

Regarding your child born in the USA, yes, the child is also a British citizen if you yourself were born in the UK. If you were born outside the UK, even though you are British, you cannot transfer citizenship to your child. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
14 minutes ago, MmmBlondie said:

I will hopefully update my SSN and drivers license on mon/Tues but then I have to send my actual certificate in for the passport? Correct? Should I expedite it or is it possible to get it back by March?

Social Security and driver license place both told me to wait 2 weeks after getting citizenship for the SAVE database to populate with my new status. 

Do the passport first. Yes you can get it back by March.

25 minutes ago, MmmBlondie said:

And is this is a dumb Q but can I travel with both passports if I receive the US one? Just so its quicker in the lines

Yes

18 minutes ago, MmmBlondie said:

I've been reading about taxes too. I dont own or do anything UK based now but when I file for my US taxes this year do I notify them I'm a dual citizen now. I'm so confused by everything.

No

19 minutes ago, MmmBlondie said:

Lastly, my daughter was born here in Florida. Does she automatically get dual citizenship and can I apply for her UK passport? Either here stateside or when I visit my family? 

It is possible, but you have to apply. https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

15 minutes ago, MmmBlondie said:

Don't get both out at the same time. I travel with both.

7 minutes ago, JFH said:

You don’t have to use your UK passport to enter the UK but 9 times out of 10 the UK/EU line is quicker than the “all other passports” line. 

You MUST however use your US passport to enter the USA. It’s illegal for US citizens to use any other passport to enter the country. Aside from that, it won’t work any other way. How do you expect to be admitted into the USA permanently with a UK passport and no green card or visa? Not possible. 

Regarding your child born in the USA, yes, the child is also a British citizen if you yourself were born in the UK. If you were born outside the UK, even though you are British, you cannot transfer citizenship to your child. 

Yes I was born in the UK and moved to the US nearly 6yrs ago. She was born here in Florida and has a US passport but I just never got her, her UK one. I didnt know if I had to notify someone or if I just apply. I think I was suppose to actually register her :( I live here so I have zero idea. 

So if I travel with both passports do I use my UK one to check in but show TSA my US one? Then travel back with my UK one but show them my US one? I'm sorry I'll be traveling alone with just my daughter as my husband is about to deploy so I'm kind of stressing out. 

2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Social Security and driver license place both told me to wait 2 weeks after getting citizenship for the SAVE database to populate with my new status. 

Do the passport first. Yes you can get it back by March.

Yes

No

It is possible, but you have to apply. https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

Don't get both out at the same time. I travel with both.

Ok you have helped clear a few things up. I thought I had to register her but I wasnt sure. 

So register first then I can apply. Passport first then other documents too! 

Thank you

3 minutes ago, MmmBlondie said:

Yes I was born in the UK and moved to the US nearly 6yrs ago. She was born here in Florida and has a US passport but I just never got her, her UK one. I didnt know if I had to notify someone or if I just apply. I think I was suppose to actually register her :( I live here so I have zero idea. 

So if I travel with both passports do I use my UK one to check in but show TSA my US one? Then travel back with my UK one but show them my US one? I'm sorry I'll be traveling alone with just my daughter as my husband is about to deploy so I'm kind of stressing out. 

Use your US one to check in and show TSA here. The one you check in with has to match the one you show TSA - when they scan your boarding pass they see the passport number you checked in with and it must match. 

Use whichever when when you arrive at Heathrow and pass through border control. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
9 hours ago, MmmBlondie said:

So if I travel with both passports do I use my UK one to check in but show TSA my US one? Then travel back with my UK one but show them my US one? I'm sorry I'll be traveling alone with just my daughter as my husband is about to deploy so I'm kind of stressing out

Easy to remember: British passport is simply a short cut to enter UK. Use it one time on whole trip.

Only get out the British passport when you are getting off the plane at Heathrow so you can get in the shorter line. American family members (daughter, husband) can use the short line with you. That's what we do.

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
9 hours ago, MmmBlondie said:

Passport first then other documents too

Yes. Get your American passport asap because you need it first.

Your Social Security and driver's license can wait before you inform them you are American. Those are more to get your internal records straight that you are no longer an LPR. No big rush to do that. 

13 hours ago, MmmBlondie said:

I'm going back to the UK to see family in March for spring break.

How long you going to be in the UK for?

1. Registering the birth with the GRO is optional

2. HMPO will accept your child's American birth certificate but it must show their parents details on it (no short birth certificate)

3. If you're in the UK you can make an application for your child while you're here. 2 Benefits: Cheaper and faster. 

Edited by thatguyuknow

14 hours ago, MmmBlondie said:

Should I expedite it or is it possible to get it back by March?

At the end of 2017 I chose regular processing with regular delivery, because I'm cheap, and I received my passport in 2 weeks. My younger brothers (both minors) applied on the 5th of this month with regular processing and regular delivery and received their new passports and citizenship evidence yesterday (in 2 separate envelopes each). They are still waiting for their passport cards (should come this week): https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/card.html

Edited by accumbyte

Hi,

As a U.S citizen, the number of foreign passports you can beer is not limited. The exception is that you must exit and enter the United States with the U.S Passport. If not, will end up defending your case at a court with little chance to win. 

The best response was given lines ago and it is as follow:

""US citizens are required to use a US passport to enter the US.  You need a US passport.  

Enter UK on your UK passport.  Enter US on your US passport""

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.