TCKB-07

This May be a Bit Complicated

69 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Have him tell the CO at his B-2 visa interview that he's married in Ghana and wants a B-2 visa to come to the US to enter into a traditional marriage with you. 

As I stated, that was not the initial intent of applying for the B-2. I live in Hawaii, he wants to visit (who wouldn't?). The idea of marrying on this visit came up because it would be financially more feasible than my plan to fly my family to Ghana at the end of the year. This is why I am asking questions...so I don't step into an unanticipated mess. I see that my original plan to get married in Ghana is the best option. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Tourist Visas forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

2 minutes ago, JFH said:

It doesn’t matter where you are moving to. It’s illegal in the USA to marry in the USA someone who you know is already married (regardless of where they are from or what kind of wedding they had). That’s the point you missed. 

Gotcha. I assumed that because of the kind of wedding we are having, it would not be recognized as a marriage in the US because there is no license involved or registration. That is my stuck point. 

1 minute ago, TCKB-07 said:

As I stated, that was not the initial intent of applying for the B-2. I live in Hawaii, he wants to visit (who wouldn't?). The idea of marrying on this visit came up because it would be financially more feasible than my plan to fly my family to Ghana at the end of the year. This is why I am asking questions...so I don't step into an unanticipated mess. I see that my original plan to get married in Ghana is the best option. 

It doesn’t matter what his original intent was. Tourism is tourism in all its shapes and sizes. The minute you exchange vows with him you are breaking the law in the USA. 

If you want any sort of married life with him, you will have to move to Ghana. He won’t be able to move here on a spousal visa

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

7 minutes ago, TCKB-07 said:

I'm moving to Ghana where the marriage is not a crime. It's just traditionally, it is performed at that woman's family's home and he being a traditional ruler, he wanted to do things the traditional way as much as possible. We applied for the visitors visa for him to visit before we discussed his desire to perform the ceremony at my family's home, so that was not the intent of the B visa. He has never been to the US and meeting my family is important to him as I have already met his. He doesn't know US law, and I never thought I would find myself in this situation, so I am trying to figure it out. 

You're not hearing what other people are saying. Your significant other intends to come to the US to enter into a polygamous marriage with you. That's a crime, which you say you're aware of. A consular officer is NOT going to issue his visa. The original intent means nothing now because it's changed to something illegal. "Sorry Your Honor, I didn't originally mean to rob that store so let me off the hook" does not stand in court.

Just now, TCKB-07 said:

Gotcha. I assumed that because of the kind of wedding we are having, it would not be recognized as a marriage in the US because there is no license involved or registration. That is my stuck point. 

So it’s not a marriage then? It’s a party. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Just now, JFH said:

It doesn’t matter what his original intent was. Tourism is tourism in all its shapes and sizes. The minute you exchange vows with him you are breaking the law in the USA. 

If you want any sort of married life with him, you will have to move to Ghana. He won’t be able to move here on a spousal visa

My intent has always been to move to Ghana. It was my intent before I met him.  He is fine with not moving to the US. I just wanted to know for future reference because I have benefits that I would like to share. If not, that's fine. That's kind of my point, I know not all marriages (especially traditional ones) are recognized by the US. So if we're not married by US standards (even if it were monogamous) then I figured it it would have to be done in a recognizable way in the future, regardless. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If he were to marry you here and then want to immigrate later he would have to answer the question on the immigration forms  about committing crimes even is he wasn't charged for any.  That is the catch 22 that could make him ineligible for immigration benefits ( unless the current social foolery continues where crimes don't count )  .  As long as there is a marriage in existence prior you can not use any "marriage"  during that time to bring him here.  However if you have a marriage that isn't good for immigration you have to end that and create one that is good.   He will not be able to coat tail om any benefit you have as a spouse until you have a legally recognized relationship in the eyes of the US>  

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
3 minutes ago, TCKB-07 said:

My intent has always been to move to Ghana. It was my intent before I met him.  He is fine with not moving to the US. I just wanted to know for future reference because I have benefits that I would like to share. If not, that's fine. That's kind of my point, I know not all marriages (especially traditional ones) are recognized by the US. So if we're not married by US standards (even if it were monogamous) then I figured it it would have to be done in a recognizable way in the future, regardless. 

Polygamous marriages are not valid for benefits.  

6 minutes ago, JFH said:

So it’s not a marriage then? It’s a party. 

Essentially, yes. Along with an agreement between the families and a paying of a dowery. literally, if no one said anything, no one would know we were married. There is no requirement to register or get a license. This is one of 3 ways to get married under their laws. It's like how slaves jumped the broom back in the day. In the eyes of the slave community, they were married, but it wasn't recognized otherwise....if that makes sense. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
2 minutes ago, TCKB-07 said:

Essentially, yes. Along with an agreement between the families and a paying of a dowery. literally, if no one said anything, no one would know we were married. There is no requirement to register or get a license. This is one of 3 ways to get married under their laws. It's like how slaves jumped the broom back in the day. In the eyes of the slave community, they were married, but it wasn't recognized otherwise....if that makes sense. 

Jumping the broom was not illegal.  Polygamy is illegal. 

Have him tell the CO that he wants the B-2 to come marry you while he is already married.  Since you think it's okay, then there shouldn't be any problems.

Edited by aaron2020

3 minutes ago, TCKB-07 said:

Well your significant other needs to tell the consular officer about the purpose of this trip, so really there is no way that "nobody will know". 

3 minutes ago, NigeriaorBust said:

If he were to marry you here and then want to immigrate later he would have to answer the question on the immigration forms  about committing crimes even is he wasn't charged for any.  That is the catch 22 that could make him ineligible for immigration benefits ( unless the current social foolery continues where crimes don't count )  .  As long as there is a marriage in existence prior you can not use any "marriage"  during that time to bring him here.  However if you have a marriage that isn't good for immigration you have to end that and create one that is good.   He will not be able to coat tail om any benefit you have as a spouse until you have a legally recognized relationship in the eyes of the US>  

Thank you! So hypothetically, if he were to get divorced, lets say, next year and he and I did a court marriage in 3 years, which is recognized in the eyes of the US, I could then petition for him to come over as my spouse? He has no desire to immigrate to the US. He is a Chief and has wealth. We both share a vision of improving conditions there, not fleeing them. It's me that has this wonder because of my own benefits that I want to share and they require him to have a SSN. I't not a must, but I wanted to find out. Thanks again!  

1 minute ago, TCKB-07 said:

Thank you! So hypothetically, if he were to get divorced, lets say, next year and he and I did a court marriage in 3 years, which is recognized in the eyes of the US, I could then petition for him to come over as my spouse? He has no desire to immigrate to the US. He is a Chief and has wealth. We both share a vision of improving conditions there, not fleeing them. It's me that has this wonder because of my own benefits that I want to share and they require him to have a SSN. I't not a must, but I wanted to find out. Thanks again!  

If he got divorced and you were able to legally marry him, you could potentially bring him over on a spousal visa, and he could get an SSN and be a beneficiary to your benefits.

Otherwise, your scenario is not legit.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.