russandraquel

Doing Report of Marriage and passport renewal at Los Angeles Philippines Consulate

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 1/20/2019 at 8:30 PM, Chris Duffy said:

Why waste your time doing ROM?

rom is not a waste of time to me.

1. having the same legal name all throughout all your documents makes things easier.  its more of a hassle to have to hire a lawyer and appear in court later on for the difference in names. trust me pal, it's more of a struggle and stress having to deal with the judiciary system in the philippines and will cost me much much more money and time than the rom.

us considered being legally in the philippines means my usc husband can open businesses and own assets, shares and property that are not usually open to foreigners. he will also be able to join that balikbayan line and not have to apply for visa in my country for long visits. he is entitled to get a share in inheritance and property from my family (like 1 portion for me, 1 portion for him instead of just my portion). if i also can't come to my home country for whatever reasons, he will be legally allowed to process some business and government documents for me because he's legally my husband there (some need to be represented by a family member).  

2. i travel and live in many countries. marriage here in the u.s, makes us legally married here in america but if i do not do the rom then our marriage is not recognized in my country where i'd be technically single since i don't report it. then if i go to third countries they'll see it as half married since it's not recognized in my country. it works well if i would want to cheat on my spouse or if i have plans of divorce him in the future. but then i don't so why not do rom right? some places in some countries that are conservative will make you book separate rooms if you are not married. i don't think i'd want extra expenses for having to always book separate rooms and what nots because of their laws. they might also think we're unmarried because of conflicting or different names, which i would then have to explain and then show evidence and all that hassle each and every time which is a waste of time. 

so those are some and very useful reasons why i bother to do rom and for such a small fee vs. go through the trouble. it can be different for each and every person. but i have a lot of property and farms in my country and a well to do family business in the aviation industry and it will definitely benefit both me and my husband. and if we do have kids in the future, we'd have to do rom too anyway better do it now than have to pay and extra penalty fee for filing late.

+  in the aos and roc process it's good evidence on bonafide marriage. hahaha, almost forgot that.

inxs: i have seen your posts/comments in previous threads for over  a year now and how you feel rom is unimportant.

K1 Visa:
Sent: 12 - 20 - 2017   ||   Received: 12 - 21 - 2017   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 26 - 2017   ||   NOA 2: 07 - 1 - 18   ||  NVC Received: 08 - 02 - 2018 

||  NVC Assigned MNC: 08 - 07 - 2018  ||   USEM Received: 08 - 09 -2018   ||  Interview Date: 08 - 20 - 2018   ||  Visa on Hand: 08 - 24 - 2018   ||  CFO Seminar: 08 - 31 - 2018    ||  POE: 09 - 05 - 2018    ||  Wedding: 09 -16 - 2018

AOS:
Sent: 11 - 20 - 2018   ||   Received: 11 - 23 - 2018   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 03 - 2018   ||  

EAD:
Sent: 11 - 20 - 2018   ||   Received: 11 - 23 - 2018   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 03 - 2018   ||  

AP:

Timeline
3 hours ago, ZKT said:

us considered being legally in the philippines means my usc husband can open businesses and own assets, shares and property that are not usually open to foreigners. he will also be able to join that balikbayan line and not have to apply for visa in my country for long visits. he is entitled to get a share in inheritance and property from my family (like 1 portion for me, 1 portion for him instead of just my portion). if i also can't come to my home country for whatever reasons, he will be legally allowed to process some business and government documents for me because he's legally my husband there (some need to be represented by a family member).

2. i travel and live in many countries. marriage here in the u.s, makes us legally married here in america but if i do not do the rom then our marriage is not recognized in my country where i'd be technically single since i don't report it. then if i go to third countries they'll see it as half married since it's not recognized in my country. it works well if i would want to cheat on my spouse or if i have plans of divorce him in the future. but then i don't so why not do rom right? some places in some countries that are conservative will make you book separate rooms if you are not married. i don't think i'd want extra expenses for having to always book separate rooms and what nots because of their laws. they might also think we're unmarried because of conflicting or different names, which i would then have to explain and then show evidence and all that hassle each and every time which is a waste of time.

Where are you getting your information???  Please post links and be careful about posting information that could possibly be misleading.

1.  Validity of marriages solemnized outside the Philippines

Marriages solemnized abroad, but unregistered in the Philippine civil registry, are valid in the Philippines -

https://www.manilatimes.net/marriage-solemnized-abroad-unregistered-locally-valid-ph/149861/

Key points:

• "Registration in the civil registry is not required by law to give validity to an act or occurrence."
  • "It is the presence or absence of the requisites of marriage that ultimately determines the validity of marriage, not the registration."

Family Code of the Philippines: Foreign Marriages and Foreign Divorces -

https://attykalibre.com/question-and-answer/civil-law/civil-code-of-the-philippines/family-code-of-the-philippines-foreign-marriages-and-foreign-divorces/

Article 26. All marriages solemnized outside the Philippines, in accordance with the laws in force in the country where they were solemnized, and valid there as such, shall also be valid in this country, except those prohibited under Articles 35 (1), (4), (5) and (6), 3637 and 38.

In other words, a valid marriage certificate from the US is enough evidence for the Philippine government to recognize the marriage as legal in the Philippines.  No PSA registration required.

2.  Ownership of landed property

"Only Filipino citizens (and corporations and associations at least 60% of whose capital is owned by Filipinos) may acquire private lands.

Foreigners are allowed to purchase a condominium unit, provided that total foreign ownership of the condominium corporation does not exceed 40%.  They may also inherit real property from their deceased Filipino spouses or parents."

http://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/laws-and-guidelines/land-ownership/

In other words, despite being married to you, your USC husband cannot own Philippine land in his name while you are alive.  Registering your marriage does not change that.

Yes, due to community property laws in the Philippines, your husband will also own landed property that you purchase during your marriage, but they will be under your name, unless you die and your husband inherits your share.

Foreigners are allowed to buy condo units in the Philippines, whether or not they are married to Filipino citizens.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, ZKT said:

rom is not a waste of time to me.

1. having the same legal name all throughout all your documents makes things easier.  its more of a hassle to have to hire a lawyer and appear in court later on for the difference in names. trust me pal, it's more of a struggle and stress having to deal with the judiciary system in the philippines and will cost me much much more money and time than the rom.

so those are some and very useful reasons why i bother to do rom and for such a small fee vs. go through the trouble. it can be different for each and every person. but i have a lot of property and farms in my country and a well to do family business in the aviation industry and it will definitely benefit both me and my husband. and if we do have kids in the future, we'd have to do rom too anyway better do it now than have to pay and extra penalty fee for filing late.

+  in the aos and roc process it's good evidence on bonafide marriage. hahaha, almost forgot that.

inxs: i have seen your posts/comments in previous threads for over  a year now and how you feel rom is unimportant.

Married in the U.S.A. is married everywhere in the world .. just not recognized in the Philippines without ROM.

ROM doesn't allow all that stuff you listed regarding your husband.   ROM does get the marriage recorded in the Philippines, it does allow you to get your passport in your married name, and thus have documents in your married name in the Philippines, but that is about it.

Your USC husband CANNOT inherit real property from your family (ROM or not).   Foreigners CANNOT own real property in the Philippines ... except in rare situations - that situationi being you, his Philippine citizen wife, own real property and dies without a will  THEN your husband can gain legal title to the land/real property.  

Your USC husband cannot process legal documents for you without an SPA.

You have to "know" Duffy to understand his odd comments .. or ignore those comments like most have learned to do.

** I see I was typing too slow ATE got it done quicker **   :lol:  

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi everyone and thanks for the valuable information:

When you go to the Philippine Consulate General, in Los Angeles, CA:

As well as in either place;

(1) Southern California;

(2) Southern Nevada (Clark, Lincoln and Nye Counties);

(3) Arizona.

Will they accept walk-in or do you need to schedule an appointment?

48 minutes ago, FloYsh said:

Hi everyone and thanks for the valuable information:

When you go to the Philippine Consulate General, in Los Angeles, CA:

As well as in either place;

(1) Southern California;

(2) Southern Nevada (Clark, Lincoln and Nye Counties);

(3) Arizona.

Will they accept walk-in or do you need to schedule an appointment?

You can do a walk in appointment, 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.