andrews2015

Disclosure of HIV status and being a public charge

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am a nurse by profession, HIV positive and on meds with undetectable viral load and high CD4, however, my employment based petition is for a different job title with annual prevailing wage of $40,000. Now at NVC stage.  Applicants are no longer being tested for HIV. 
(1) So do I need to disclose my HIV status?
(2) If I disclose, do I become inadmissible in the concept of “public charge” due to high cost of treatment in the US?
(3) How do I overcome being a public charge in my case?
(4) If I dont’t disclose my status, will I be held at the port of entry due to bringing medications for a condition not revealed during the medical examination? 
And how many bottles of medication can I bring?
I hope someone can help me. I’ve been through a lot. I am very anxious and I don’t want to give up my American dream. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, andrews2015 said:

I am a nurse by profession, HIV positive and on meds with undetectable viral load and high CD4, however, my employment based petition is for a different job title with annual prevailing wage of $40,000. Now at NVC stage.  Applicants are no longer being tested for HIV. 
(2) If I disclose, do I become inadmissible in the concept of “public charge” due to high cost of treatment in the US?
(4) If I dont’t disclose my status, will I be held at the port of entry due to bringing medications for a condition not revealed during the medical examination? 
I hope someone can help me. I’ve been through a lot. I am very anxious and I don’t want to give up my American dream. 

You will go through a prior health interview at the medical and you best not keep that a secret.  HIV is off the list of communicable diseases

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Not an expert, but you should definitely disclose it, more if it’s not longer a disease that would cause a denial in your process ... also, you have to consider the cost of your prescriptions in the US... if you don’t have insurance and sometimes even with insurance the cost of the meds is so expensive...

When you are migrating is normal that some people, if not all, to be checked in the port of entry so they would probably see your meds... check first the number of pills you can bring and mostly if you can bring them into the country (TSA page have some info about it, if not, call the info number or even FDA?!? ) there are prescription medicines you cannot bring to the US at all and others for what you need a prescription and other paperwork. 

In my opinion, don’t risk your health without informing you first on how the employment, insurance, cost of treatment would be in the US... if your condition is controlled that well it’s not worth to put that in jeopardy... 

but as I said, check if you would have insurance in your job, check if you would have to buy the meds by yourself, the cost per month...

And last, if you will work in a patient care environment (hopefully someone with real knowledge correct me if i’m wrong) I believe you need to disclose it to your employers depending on the laws of the state you are going to work... Check that part beforehand... 

I love you Charles forever!!

! dveMm6.png

N-400 Waiting to be schedule for Oath Ceremony 

Timeline

Back to the original question...  As much as you want to think that the medical exam is administered to CDC/DOS standards it is not.  The OP is from the PI, and an abortion and divorce at the medical in the PI gets you a psych eval.  

YMMV

6 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Back to the original question...  As much as you want to think that the medical exam is administered to CDC/DOS standards it is not.  The OP is from the PI, and an abortion and divorce at the medical in the PI gets you a psych eval.  

OP is already in the US. It sounds like he/she is making the right decision by leaving that country then. :)

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, USC4SPOUSE said:

OP is already in the US.

S/he is not.  and I quote "my employment based petition is for a different job title with annual prevailing wage of $40,000. Now at NVC stage."

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, andrews2015 said:

if you gonna do aos you will gonna have medical which will test your blood for std and herpes not sure if they can detect it.

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, andrews2015 said:

If there is anyone here who has the same experience or who knows someone, please contact me. 

wala ka pa sa adjustment of status?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Juaneng28 said:

wala ka pa sa adjustment of status?

Consular processing ako. So I will have my medical at St Luke’s. If I disclose my status, how would I prove that I will not be a public charge?

Reminder that it is English only in the upper forums.

1 hour ago, andrews2015 said:

So I will have my medical at St Luke’s. If I disclose my status, how would I prove that I will not be a public charge?

A suitable sponsor would alleviate this concern, just as is the case for anybody.

If asked any questions where disclosing of your condition is necessary, you must answer honestly. It will not be a bar or held against you.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Several off-topic and derailing posts removed; either answer the OP's question or do not post.  Further derailing posts will result in appropriate Administrative Action.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You are not actually required to disclose this.  The question of public charge is separate from the medical exam.  The public charge determination is purely based on financial sponsorship.  The medical exam is based on the questions that the panel physicians are required to ask and the list of diseases they are required to screen for.  

Unless specifically asked (because you shouldn't lie), I'd not bring it up.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.