Dashinka

Hoyer says border walls 'obviously' work, rejects Pelosi's suggestion that barrier is 'immorality'

51 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, refugee said:

but tunnels were built and smuggling did occur for some time

Also the Israel border is not 2000 miles long

I know that is why we need longer walls.

The border patrol affirms they work and we need them. I think they know

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
1 hour ago, refugee said:

but tunnels were built and smuggling did occur for some time

Also the Israel border is not 2000 miles long

You're referring to something that happened many years ago and I honestly don't see how it's relevant. The technology and ability to detect them has advanced significantly since then, and the barrier is 440 miles long, but I really don't see how having it x4-5 the scale changes anything. I still don't understand how anyone in their right mind could look at all the evidence and the best they can come up with is "well we all know it's been proven walls don't work"

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
42 minutes ago, OriZ said:

You're referring to something that happened many years ago and I honestly don't see how it's relevant. The technology and ability to detect them has advanced significantly since then, and the barrier is 440 miles long, but I really don't see how having it x4-5 the scale changes anything. I still don't understand how anyone in their right mind could look at all the evidence and the best they can come up with is "well we all know it's been proven walls don't work"

Just today almost 400 immigrants tunelled under the fence in Arizona. What specific plans are in the 5.x billion request to stop folks with shovels?  I doubt 5 billion is going to fix those weaknesses. 

Why won't the President open the government and resume discussions?

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

15 minutes ago, refugee said:

Just today almost 400 immigrants tunelled under the fence in Arizona. What specific plans are in the 5.x billion request to stop folks with shovels?  I doubt 5 billion is going to fix those weaknesses. 

So you want tougher border security.  I agree 

Filed: Timeline
5 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Engineers are the worst customers ever. People run from them. Over analyze everything. Torture themselves with decisions. I was talking to a customer one day, and asked him, what kind of engineer are you ? I swear you can tell them everytime after 5 minutes of talking to them. Of course you need people like that building bridges, airplanes etc 

You’re just mad that they can math faster than you and your sales manager can.  😜

3 hours ago, refugee said:

Just today almost 400 ILLEGAL immigrants tunelled under the fence in Arizona. What specific plans are in the 5.x billion request to stop folks with shovels?  I doubt 5 billion is going to fix those weaknesses. 

Fixxored for you, no charge.

That sure seems like a lot.   400 in one location, in one day?  Wonder how many tried (and succeeded) along the remaining 1,999 miles of border?  Wonder how that affects your claim of “not many illegals just walk across the border”?  

I bet math would show that it’s a lot more than many are willing to admit.

As for your last sentence... why won’t our elected officials come to an agreement and open the government?  I think there are over 100 people who are keeping this thing going.  Will you vote to keep them next time around?

Edited by ALFKAD

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
1 hour ago, ALFKAD said:

Fixxored for you, no charge.

That sure seems like a lot.   400 in one location, in one day?  Wonder how many tried (and succeeded) along the remaining 1,999 miles of border?  Wonder how that affects your claim of “not many illegals just walk across the border”?  

I bet math would show that it’s a lot more than many are willing to admit.

As for your last sentence... why won’t our elected officials come to an agreement and open the government?  I think there are over 100 people who are keeping this thing going.  Will you vote to keep them next time around?

The Senate and House have passed spending bills.

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
4 hours ago, refugee said:

Yes, they dug under the fence in Arizona, not in Israel. Again, I don't understand the relevance.

Build the wall. Implement state of the art methods to detect tunnels. Viola. Nothing is 100%...but saying it doesn't work because 2 people will cross it for every 100 that cross it now is like saying going on a diet doesn't work because you only lost 28 pounds not 30, it's utterly insane.

What is there to discuss? they need to approve the funding. If they don't want to, that's too bad, I really hope that tomorrow he will declare a state of emergency.

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

6 minutes ago, OriZ said:

Yes, they dug under the fence in Arizona, not in Israel. Again, I don't understand the relevance.

Build the wall. Implement state of the art methods to detect tunnels. Viola. Nothing is 100%...but saying it doesn't work because 2 people will cross it for every 100 that cross it now is like saying going on a diet doesn't work because you only lost 28 pounds not 30, it's utterly insane.

What is there to discuss? they need to approve the funding. If they don't want to, that's too bad, I really hope that tomorrow he will declare a state of emergency.

You know logic won't work here.  But I'm with you.  Emergency authorization for the wall, and let the demwits fight for the other stuff.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
9 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Engineers [...] Over analyze everything

An architect, an artist, and an engineer were discussing whether it was better to spend time with one's wife or a mistress.  The architect said that he enjoyed time with his wife, building a solid foundation for an enduring relationship.  The artist said that he enjoyed time with his mistress, because of the passion and mystery that he found there.  The engineer said, "I like both."

"Both?" asked the others.

"Yes," replied the engineer.  "If you have a wife and a mistress, they will each assume that you are spending time with the other woman, and you can go to the lab and get some work done."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
3 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

they can math faster than you and your sales manager can.

An engineer was crossing a road one day when a frog called out to him and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess."  He bent over, picked up the frog, and put it in his pocket.

The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful princess, I will stay with you for one week."  The engineer took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it, and returned it to his pocket.

The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you and do anything you want!"  Again the engineer took the frog out, smiled at it, and put it back into his pocket.

Finally, the frog asked, "What's the matter?  I've told you that I'm a beautiful princess, that I'll stay with you for a week, and that I'll do anything you want.  Why won't you kiss me?"

The engineer said, "Look; I'm an engineer.  I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog is cool!"

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
7 hours ago, refugee said:

And they were caught!  Seems this deterrent actually worked.  

Article I read says this fence was only actually designed to stop vehicle traffic.  https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/nation/2019/01/18/border-wall-group-376-migrants-tunnels-under-yuma-fence/2619775002/

Nice try, but your spin was weak.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

For the past 20 years I have worked with immigrants. Many are illegal. I care about these kids and have bought them clothes, etc out of my own salary but I also can't deny what is happening either and kids tell their teachers things. Some of these girls are being trafficked. These are NOT their fathers but even though it's obvious to anyone who cares about children, because of the undocumented status there are no papers. We just have to accept she's who he claims she is.  It's sad because I can't help these girls. Whenever any educator gets too close they relocate. We need to know who is coming into our country. 

I'm also conflicted because I care about these children but I see the drain they are on resources just at the location where I work. Free breakfast, lunch, medical, food stamps, help with housing, even vouchers to do laundry at the laundro-mat and free laundry detergent, shampoo, deodorant, tooth brushes....We actually have over a 100 kids and their families doing this but imagine just 20 kids/families at each school in your city! How much tax payer $ is that? 

In the meantime my father is 69 years old and still working full time to pay for insulin and other medications my parents need. He's been working and paying taxes for over 50 years. When does he get a break? When does he and others get what they were promised and are entitled to? It's okay to want to help people but not at the expense of those who have worked hard and paid into the system for this long. My heart goes out to illegal people but it's our government's priority to be logical and take care of US citizens first. 

There is certainly racism in America but it seems to be the default button for this border situation and people constantly look for something to be offended about. Does anyone know many Hatian refugees this country took in after the earthquake? 670,000! We also take in refugees from Sudan and African nations. They were just as brown. Just as poor. They came here legally. In fact many of them resent those who broke the rules to get here.

8 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

You’re just mad that they can math faster than you and your sales manager can.  😜

Or you spend 30 mins while the caliper a back seat 

8 minutes ago, Pelmeni said:

For the past 20 years I have worked with immigrants. Many are illegal. I care about these kids and have bought them clothes, etc out of my own salary but I also can't deny what is happening either and kids tell their teachers things. Some of these girls are being trafficked. These are NOT their fathers but even though it's obvious to anyone who cares about children, because of the undocumented status there are no papers. We just have to accept she's who he claims she is.  It's sad because I can't help these girls. Whenever any educator gets too close they relocate. We need to know who is coming into our country. 

I'm also conflicted because I care about these children but I see the drain they are on resources just at the location where I work. Free breakfast, lunch, medical, food stamps, help with housing, even vouchers to do laundry at the laundro-mat and free laundry detergent, shampoo, deodorant, tooth brushes....We actually have over a 100 kids and their families doing this but imagine just 20 kids/families at each school in your city! How much tax payer $ is that? 

In the meantime my father is 69 years old and still working full time to pay for insulin and other medications my parents need. He's been working and paying taxes for over 50 years. When does he get a break? When does he and others get what they were promised and are entitled to? It's okay to want to help people but not at the expense of those who have worked hard and paid into the system for this long. My heart goes out to illegal people but it's our government's priority to be logical and take care of US citizens first. 

There is certainly racism in America but it seems to be the default button for this border situation and people constantly look for something to be offended about. Does anyone know many Hatian refugees this country took in after the earthquake? 670,000! We also take in refugees from Sudan and African nations. They were just as brown. Just as poor. They came here legally. In fact many of them resent those who broke the rules to get here.

Great post