Dashinka

Hoyer says border walls 'obviously' work, rejects Pelosi's suggestion that barrier is 'immorality'

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Does Nancy have a woodshed in her office?

Hoyer says border walls 'obviously' work, rejects Pelosi's suggestion that barrier is 'immorality'

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., acknowledged Wednesday on Fox News' "Special Report with Bret Baier" that border walls "obviously" work in some areas, and he rejected suggestions that barriers should be removed where they already exist.

The No. 2 House Democrat additionally asserted that the question of whether to fund President Trump's proposed border wall -- a dispute at the center of the unprecedented partial federal government shutdown -- is "not an issue of morality."

Hoyer's comments were seemingly at odds with the positions of other House Democrats, who have argued that border walls like the one Trump is proposing are ineffective and immoral.

In an interview last week, for example, Democratic Texas Rep. Veronica Escobar told CNN that "we know walls don't work, that they don't stop drugs, that they don't stop migration." Escobar also suggested she was open to destroying existing walls, remarking that they are "really ugly" and "monuments to division."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hoyer-says-border-walls-obviously-work-rejects-pelosis-suggestion-that-barrier-is-immorality

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
9 hours ago, spookyturtle said:

I don’t think a secure border is immoral, it is important, especially on our southern side. 

And yet opiates kill far more Americans than criminal aliens, and 70% of those pour inftom Canada. What is the wall that will protect Americans from Canada?

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

Timeline
2 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

With a last name of Escobar, I am not surprised she wants to tear down all the southern walls.  I’m sure her family approves.

This is an idiotic and prejudicial statement. Do you assume everyone with the name Escobar is running narcotics? 

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

Filed: Timeline
8 minutes ago, spookyturtle said:

I think the problem with an open southern border is that the US would be overrun with people coming here. Personally I don’t think that major problem with the border is criminal aliens, it’s the sheer numbers of violaters. Canada has a standard of living like ours, no need to come here. If Mexico, Central and South America had a similar standard of living, the same would hold true for out southern border. 

I dont know know about you, but I went through a long process to bring my wife here. I followed the rules. It was time consuming and expensive. I had to guarantee financial support for my wife so that she would not become a public charge.  Why would I want to let anyone who felt like it to just come on in? Take a number and get in line like the rest of us here. Not directed at you, I find it odd that anyone on an immigration site following the due process would support illegal immigration. 

1000%

Especially that last line.  And ironically, my foreign spouse is even more vocal about illegal aliens than am I.  And now that I think about it, I reckon she should be, since she is the one who had to wait and interview and do a medical exam and... all the things that the immigrant must do to get here.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, spookyturtle said:

I think the problem with an open southern border is that the US would be overrun with people coming here. Personally I don’t think that major problem with the border is criminal aliens, it’s the sheer numbers of violaters. Canada has a standard of living like ours, no need to come here. If Mexico, Central and South America had a similar standard of living, the same would hold true for out southern border. 

I dont know know about you, but I went through a long process to bring my wife here. I followed the rules. It was time consuming and expensive. I had to guarantee financial support for my wife so that she would not become a public charge.  Why would I want to let anyone who felt like it to just come on in? Take a number and get in line like the rest of us here. Not directed at you, I find it odd that anyone on an immigration site following the due process would support illegal immigration. 

I am not in favor of open borders, and fencing enhancements to support the existing fencing makes practical, common and cost-effective sense. I also don't want folk going around the process to get here. 

But I will not buy into the existential threat argument that Trumplicans are making. More "illegals" are overstays and human smuggling victims than those who walk across the borders. A wall does stop tunnels, planes or boats.

Also the slights (not from you) against people because of their Spanish surname is offensive. My grandmother is from Mexico and I find it reprehensible to target people based on their name or origin.

Make e verify Federal law  ( talking to Donald Trump's team  in new Jersey) but crack down on the other channels. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, refugee said:

And yet opiates kill far more Americans than criminal aliens, and 70% of those pour inftom Canada. What is the wall that will protect Americans from Canada?

Source?

From what I read, 40% of opiate deaths are attributed to prescription abuse, so I suppose if prescription drugs are manufactured in Canada, you may have a case.  Anyway, this is what I found.

https://delphihealthgroup.com/blog/where-do-opioids-come-from/

6 hours ago, refugee said:

Do you not know or realize the difference between Canada and Mexico?

Mexico is over run with corruptions and drugs especially at the border,  very few people are educated there compared to Canada. Most the guys who come to the USA illegally are lucky to have a 7th grade education.  Night and day difference between the two countries

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

16 hours ago, spookyturtle said:

I don’t think a secure border is immoral, it is important, especially on our southern side. 

Thank You

I am in Texas we get to see first hand every day how important a wall is.

If the capital of the USA was in Texas and the law makers got to see first hand what we see almost daily with all the issues from Illegal aliens, even the democrats would be screaming we need a Wall..

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Thank You

I am in Texas we get to see first hand every day how important a wall is.

If the capital of the USA was in Texas and the law makers got to see first hand what we see almost daily with all the issues from Illegal aliens, even the democrats would be screaming we need a Wall..

I believe the Dems were lobbying/asking for a wall/barrier/secure borders as recently as just a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

I believe the Dems were lobbying/asking for a wall/barrier/secure borders as recently as just a few years ago.

Valid Point, now that "Build That Wall" was one of Trumps Platform for to get elected,  Building the Wall is not wanted now by any Democrats.  What a bunch of cry babies, Really...……...

Filed: Timeline
7 hours ago, refugee said:

I am not in favor of open borders, and fencing enhancements to support the existing fencing makes practical, common and cost-effective sense. I also don't want folk going around the process to get here. 

But I will not buy into the existential threat argument that Trumplicans are making. More "illegals" are overstays and human smuggling victims than those who walk across the borders. A wall does stop tunnels, planes or boats.

Also the slights (not from you) against people because of their Spanish surname is offensive. My grandmother is from Mexico and I find it reprehensible to target people based on their name or origin.

Make e verify Federal law  ( talking to Donald Trump's team  in new Jersey) but crack down on the other channels. 

Oh do grow up.  Taking my wisecrack about an infamous drug kingpin seriously... just don't.  Your grandma will be just fine with our without my corny jokes.

Also, you cannot say that more illegals are overstays than walk across the border, since you have no idea what the number of each actually is, especially the walkers.  No.  Idea.

1 hour ago, Chris Duffy said:

Do you not know or realize the difference between Canada and Mexico?

Mexico is over run with corruptions and drugs especially at the border,  very few people are educated there compared to Canada. Most the guys who come to the USA illegally are lucky to have a 7th grade education.  Night and day difference between the two countries

You hate brown people just like Trump dont you. Regardless if it's TRUE.  You be racist