lordcharles133

K1 Visa Question regarding Roommate

39 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The roommate being overwhelmed with new information and being confused is understandable and not surprising. It might make him a bit naive but still understandable. What I find unacceptable though it is that lawyer allegedly said that. I am really, really, really curious exactly what was said and why, and who the heck is this lawyer is. Just makes me more and more vary of legal professional who advertise about routine immigration. 

7 hours ago, lordcharles133 said:

I was told they called a lawyer for consultation and that is what the lawyer said. It made no sense, at least to me. 

Edited by Shiran

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Korea DPR
Timeline
11 hours ago, lordcharles133 said:

. Because moving on short notice (I was just told they were looking to do this 2 days ago?) would put me as a college student in a huge financial bind. 

Perhaps your roommate just wants you out and you’re not getting the hint. They’ll believe their attorney over you any day. I’ll move if the primary owner/renter/roommate doesn’t want me. And most human beings will choose the interests of their lover/future wife over friend anyways.

What if something unrelated happened which delayed their petition? Guess who could be a convenient scapegoat. Time to start looking for a place, it’s the prudent forward looking choice.

I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,

Neither are you here to live up to mine.

I don't owe no one no obligation 
So everything is fine, fine

I said, I am that I am I am, I am, I am

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think your roommate just wants you to move out in time for the fiancee to move in, honestly...

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Yeah - I think it's a hint to prepare you to move out because, you know, 'three's a crowd'. Easier to blame it on immigration/the lawyer so that you won't be mad with them. 

I recommend you start looking for a new place. Presumably, you have a renter's agreement which includes a period of giving notice from both parties? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I agree that the roommate could just be using this as an excuse, as they'd like to cease the roommate relationship in lieu of their incoming spouse. Not necessarily wrong or a negative, but sure, they could be more straightforward about it. Not to mention, if they only just now began the K1 process, or haven't even begun yet, it will be quite a while before the fiancé is needing to move in anyhow.

I would definitely request confirmation in writing of such needs, for your benefit. The roommate will not be able to acquire any, as it is in fact not a requirement of the K1 process to not have a roommate of any kind. People have successfully completed this process numerous times with roommates of all kinds. It's also possible the lawyer is just senseless - if you stick around these forums long enough, you will find that most lawyers ill-advise people on these immigration matters.

As others have said, I'd also let you roommate know a lawyer is not necessary, either, and can ultimately be a waste of their money. If their case is pretty straightforward, it's entirely unneeded. Recommend they come here and look around - people here will be much more helpful than a lawyer, to be honest, unless they have some unusual circumstances.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

When we applied for K-1, my husband had a friend live with him for a few months, and it had zero to do with my visa. There are no questions like "does applicant share a living space with anyone else?" or any of that sort. Unless an officer asks the girl about it at the interview (which would be odd and highly unlikely), and won't happen for another 7-9 months anyway, your friend won't have anywhere to even mention it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I think he just found a workaround to not share the house anymore. My husband had the friend move out a few months before it was necessary , using me as an excuse :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.