Cocopuf

SSA K1 immigration status mismatch

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Cocopuf said:

Update:

I went back for the 3rd time to the local SSO, 11 days after entering the country, and it looks like I had more luck this time. I got a different person that confirmed to me that the previous 2 people that gave me the advice to "just wait" were wrong, and that they should just have filed a SAVE-case or a SAVE-verify right away. Just like some people mentioned in this thread.

USCIS told me a SAVE-case takes 3 to 5 days, SSO told me it can take up to 30 days, but is usually shorter. So I'm calling them in a week to see if SSO got an answer and if they made me a SSN.

Thanks for the help everyone.

2-4weeks usually the norm as much as i research. I received dead on 4th week. Just check the SAVE, once it starts saying sent to marryland or something like that, means verification is done, and wait for card soon to arrive.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Final update:

After going to the SSO and finally speaking to someone that actually opened a SAVE-case for me I got a letter in the mail from the SSA that stated I applied for a SS card and I should receive it in 2 weeks. The letter is dated 9 days after they opened the SAVE-case (because of USPS I only received it much later though). So that went pretty fast.

Since it took a while for me to actually receive that letter, and since I needed the number ASAP, I went back to the SSO 13 days after opening the SAVE-case (I hadn't received any letter by then) and asked about my case. They confirmed a number was created for me and they let me copy it from their screen so I could use it to fill out the necessary forms for the wedding license. A couple days later I received my actual SS card in the mail.

And in the mean time, we're married.

Moral of the story: If social security office tells you they have an immigration status mismatch and can't give you a SSN, tell them to open a SAVE-case, even though they might tell you it'll take a long time (it doesn't), and that it might clear up on its own (it doesn't).

The info in the SSN guide seems to be dated, it looks like you have to open a case by default, and it doesn't take that much time to resolve. (@ mods, maybe update this guide)

Thanks everyone for the help!

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone! I have the same situation.

Here is my story.

On May 29th before marriage I applied for an SSN (I got married on May 31 and changed my last name, but never notified them of this, if it matters, because I hoped to receive the card soon and then change my name on it like many advised at this forum) but when I visited their office, they told me that there is an immigration status mismatch and they need to submit a manual verification (however by then I had been in the US for more than 2 weeks). Anyway, they accepted my application and told me to wait for 4 weeks.

Today, after the 5th week started I called the SSA to find out what is going on, because I havent received the card yet. The same officer said they have never heard from USCIS, and they dont know what is going on. But before calling the SSA I found my case on SAVE, and by both passport number and i-94 it said that the case was returned to the SSA, but this guy from the local office did not know about it. When he tried to create a new SAVE-case it said there is a mismatch again, but he managed to create a new case and told me to call him back when the status changes.

When I went to SAVE CaseCheck I found out something very weird:

this new case SSA officer created is only tied to my I-94 number. My passport number does not show this new case, only the old one from May 29th that the local office has never received. 

Also this SAVE CaseCheck does not recognize my alien number (A-number) that was on my I-129F and that I also showed to this SSA officer. Now I am totally confused. Has anyone ever experienced this? I have about a month left till my I94 expires. Is there anything I can do?

P.S. AOS I have filed two weeks ago but never heard from USCIS yet about NOA1. My husband says the fee was not cashed out yet. In the application for AOS I asked to provide me with an SSN, because I am still in trouble with SSN. Idk if this info in any way connected to this weird SSN situation. 

I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Edited by Nadya

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

You might get some more visibility if you open a new topic about your problem. Sounds like there are some similarities, but also some new issues compared to my case.

You might have some luck if you call USCIS, and ask them about the 2 SAVE cases and their status, I'm pretty sure they can look them up. You can also ask them about your AOS application (which is a lot more important than your SSN) and check why you haven't gotten your NOA1 yet.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Throwing this info out there to see if anyone might have a solution.   

July 4:  arrived US.   

July 15: married, no name change. 

July 18:  Applied SS, informed of mismatch and SS opened SAVE inquiry.  Told us the card would arrive in a few weeks.   No marriage info reqd on the SS-5, so not provided. 

July 19:  SAVE inquiry returned to SSA.  

July 24:   AOS documentation submitted....this would be the first indication to any federal agency that we were married. 

Aug 13:   SS called and informed us that they were unable to clear the mismatch and that we need to wait for the green card to reapply for SSC.   The girl was completely guessing that it was maybe because we were married before applying, but that cannot be right because the agency was unaware of the marriage when SAVE responded to SSA.

Aug 16:   Visited a different SSO and reapplied for SSN.  informed there was an Immigration mismatch between the i-94 (Single due to K1 visa) and now since we are married. (makes sense for this application, but not our initial application.)   Informed us that now the EAP is required prior to issuing SSN.   Not sure if correct, but EAP sounds more correct than needing a GC to reapply.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, DanielPlainview said:

Throwing this info out there to see if anyone might have a solution.   

July 4:  arrived US.   

July 18:  Applied SS, informed of mismatch and SS opened SAVE inquiry.  Told us the card would arrive in a few weeks.   No marriage info reqd on the SS-5, so not provided. 

July 19:  SAVE inquiry returned to SSA.  

July 24:   AOS documentation submitted....this would be the first indication to any federal agency that we were married. 

Aug 13:   SS called and informed us that they were unable to clear the mismatch and that we need to wait for the green card to reapply for SSC.   The girl was completely guessing that it was maybe because we were married before applying, but that cannot be right because the agency was unaware of the marriage when SAVE responded to SSA.

Aug 16:   Visited a different SSO and reapplied for SSN.  informed there was an Immigration mismatch between the i-94 (Single due to K1 visa) and now since we are married. (makes sense for this application, but not our initial application.)   Informed us that now the EAP is required prior to issuing SSN.   Not sure if correct, but EAP sounds more correct than needing a GC to reapply.

Yes .. having married and had a ,name change before applying,  you will need the EAD to apply for the SSN 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

Yes .. having married and had a ,name change before applying,  you will need the EAD to apply for the SSN 

Timeline
1 minute ago, DanielPlainview said:

Oops. Sorry. My mistake..   there was a thread on SSN that explained how to get a quick response ... even had the direct number to call .. I’ll see if I can find it 

Timeline
Just now, Lil bear said:

Oops. Sorry. My mistake..   there was a thread on SSN that explained how to get a quick response ... even had the direct number to call .. I’ll see if I can find it 

Many thanks Lil Bear.   I'm now thinking to do the InfoPass appt with USCIS, since this SS officer provided me with a letter showing the issue.   Sheesh, good I'm retired...hate to try to juggle these actions while still working.  Crazy for those folks.

Timeline
Just now, DanielPlainview said:

Many thanks Lil Bear.   I'm now thinking to do the InfoPass appt with USCIS, since this SS officer provided me with a letter showing the issue.   Sheesh, good I'm retired...hate to try to juggle these actions while still working.  Crazy for those folks.

If we can find the thread it will be easier ..... I’ll keep looking 

Timeline
3 hours ago, DanielPlainview said:

this is the link with the phone number.  Let’s know how you go ! 

You will need to scroll through the thread to almost at the end to find the post shown on the screen above. It has the number to call to solve this problem. 

Edited by Lil bear

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.