Sarah G

Travelling with extra baggage on visits prior to relocation

27 posts in this topic

T-shirt and shorts! Doh!!!! 🤦‍♂️

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, payxibka said:

If so, I think I'd question if a woman was traveling with less than two bags.  😂

I only ever travel with a carry on (46l backpack) and my small purse, even for 4+ week trips. I hate checking bags.  Never once been questioned.

OP - FWIW - I spent a few months before I moved from my hometown to a new city considering that my personal items would be in storage for up-to 3 months during the move - I started off with 30+ boxes and got it all down to less than 5 in total thinking that if I didn't need or want a particular item for 3 months (ie: the stuff that'd be in storage), clearly I didn't need or want it in general.  Saved me a bunch. 

That said, I also know how much it sucks not having your "stuff" in your new home - until my boxes arrived here I felt like I was just visiting. Once I'd unpacked a little it felt like "our" house properly, so there's a good argument for "don't bring all your stuff" and "bring all your stuff" either way ;)

Edited by dentsflogged

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, dentsflogged said:

I only ever travel with a carry on (46l backpack) and my small purse, even for 4+ week trips. I hate checking bags.  Never once been questioned.

You obviously missed the emoji...

YMMV

I never paid to bring extra bags, but I did bring extra stuff. But mostly just clothes I'd then leave behind, plus books. I would pack to the maximum weight. (Which was more than it is now.) I would return to the UK with my smaller suitcase inside my larger one. I still shipped stuff over though. Mostly it just meant that there were clothes and books that went straight from my college room to the US, rather than via my parents' house.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

My last trip to the US i brought stuff to leave there. Other than the usual questions i get asked at pre-clearance, my luggage wasnt mentioned. Is your fiance coming to visit before you move? Like you, I want to keep expenses down as much as i can, my fiance is visiting next month, he is going to take a case of my stuff back with him

I’ve travelled 3 times from the UK on an ESTA with 2 cases maxed and never had an issue 

Late 2016: Met playing Clash of Kings the West

Feb 2017: Started online "dating"

May 2017: Met in Orlando

July 2017: Arkansas and Seminole (1 night) visit

October 2017: Washington DC visit.

December 2017: Seminole OKC home visit and Amanda  met Chayne's kids and dad.

January 2018:  York England visit Chayne met Amanda's son.

April 2018: London/Paris/York visit we got engaged on April 6th!!

April 19th 2018: packet sent

April 23rd 2018: USPS say packet signed for.

April 25th 2018: Electronic NOA1 received 

April 26th 2018: Cheque Cashed

April 30th 2018: hard copy NOA1 received

June 2018: Seminole visit, Amanda met Chayne's  adult son

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Korea DPR
Timeline
21 hours ago, payxibka said:

Cbp (passport control) does not see your baggage if traveling in by air.

Technically correct however don’t forget customs routinely communicates with immigration/passport control and people have previously had their story questioned after it was initiated by after clearing passport control.

It’s good to view them as different limbs of the same body.

I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,

Neither are you here to live up to mine.

I don't owe no one no obligation 
So everything is fine, fine

I said, I am that I am I am, I am, I am

Technically you're not allowed to move your things until you immigrate.  

Because you're flying, CBP probably hasn't paid very much attention but be aware they could and deny entry.  

Your baggage goes through CBP... just because you arent with it doesn't mean they havent looked at your stuff. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Shipping stuff from the UK is not that expensive anyway. I only paid a few hundred pounds to send 35 boxes here by ship. And that was all the way to Seattle - so far from the UK that we are closer to Japan! I had 30 boxes of books I couldn’t bear to be parted from and the rest was baking equipment, family keepsakes (photos of my grand parents, etc) and some sentimental items. I sold my house in the UK and the furniture was sold and donated. Appliances were also donated. But for bringing heavy things like books it’s defibuteky cheaper to put them in a cargo ship than pay $100 per bag for 20kg to bring them on the plane with you. 

It took 4 months for my shipment to arrive and clear customs here but worth it.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

6 minutes ago, JFH said:

Shipping stuff from the UK is not that expensive anyway. I only paid a few hundred pounds to send 35 boxes here by ship. And that was all the way to Seattle - so far from the UK that we are closer to Japan! I had 30 boxes of books I couldn’t bear to be parted from and the rest was baking equipment, family keepsakes (photos of my grand parents, etc) and some sentimental items. I sold my house in the UK and the furniture was sold and donated. Appliances were also donated. But for bringing heavy things like books it’s defibuteky cheaper to put them in a cargo ship than pay $100 per bag for 20kg to bring them on the plane with you. 

It took 4 months for my shipment to arrive and clear customs here but worth it.

Very good to know, thank you. Do you know which company you used, and also when was this? I got quotes from several places that wanted £1300 and up. The things I have are light enough that I know I can get it down to three suitcases (one extra on each trip I expect to have between now and including the move), and then probably 5-10 boxes. I have some very small items of furniture also, and a stupid cumbersome mirror that I don't want to part with, plus some quite large framed artwork that belonged to my grandmother. The bulky things I will have to ship, but I think I can do a lot of the rest with extra cases. I think i need to find a better estimate so I can really compare! 

2 minutes ago, Sarah G said:

Very good to know, thank you. Do you know which company you used, and also when was this? I got quotes from several places that wanted £1300 and up. The things I have are light enough that I know I can get it down to three suitcases (one extra on each trip I expect to have between now and including the move), and then probably 5-10 boxes. I have some very small items of furniture also, and a stupid cumbersome mirror that I don't want to part with, plus some quite large framed artwork that belonged to my grandmother. The bulky things I will have to ship, but I think I can do a lot of the rest with extra cases. I think i need to find a better estimate so I can really compare! 

This who I used https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/sea-freight/

the cheapest way is to go for the shared container. It’s slower because you have to wait for other people to fill up the container but it’s much cheaper. They even give you choices of different ships and prices. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

28 minutes ago, JFH said:

This who I used https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/sea-freight/

the cheapest way is to go for the shared container. It’s slower because you have to wait for other people to fill up the container but it’s much cheaper. They even give you choices of different ships and prices. 

I'll look at that now, thank you very much! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.