AMS13

K1 visa approved but not received. Do we get divorced?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Many people from developed western countries commenting on this don't understand that there different marriages in a whole lot of African countries.(traditional wedding, white wedding, different types of ceremonies) etc. Im surprised I didn't see any comments like this so allow me to further explain

If you did a traditional marriage in Egypt meaning not recognized anywhere on earth outside Egypt, Not on the Egypt constitution, Not on the court registry with Egypt. Then return the dowry you paid and go thru with the K-1 visa if you plan to live in the USA and get legally married in the US that would be recognized everywhere else in the world. those 2yrs you lost during AP you cant get that back.

If your marriage is recognized by the court registry in Egypt, then do as everyone here has mentioned and go thru with the CR1

Edited by kingdomcome84

NoA1 - September 26, 2018

NoA2 - February 4, 2019  

4 hours ago, kingdomcome84 said:

Many people from developed western countries commenting on this don't understand that there different marriages in a whole lot of African countries.(traditional wedding, white wedding, different types of ceremonies) etc. Im surprised I didn't see any comments like this so allow me to further explain

If you did a traditional marriage in Egypt meaning not recognized anywhere on earth outside Egypt, Not on the Egypt constitution, Not on the court registry with Egypt. Then return the dowry you paid and go thru with the K-1 visa if you plan to live in the USA and get legally married in the US that would be recognized everywhere else in the world. those 2yrs you lost during AP you cant get that back.

If your marriage is recognized by the court registry in Egypt, then do as everyone here has mentioned and go thru with the CR1

The problem with the above in bold is that they can get denied the K1 for the traditional marriage also. They are too many threads on VJ of people getting denied K1 visas because of traditional ceremonies like you mentioned. If you do a search you wiil find tons of K1 denials because of those ceremonies. 

So the very safest advice is to not do any ritual/ceremony at all until after the K1 is complete and have married in the US. It is not worth it.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
2 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

The problem with the above in bold is that they can get denied the K1 for the traditional marriage also. They are too many threads on VJ of people getting denied K1 visas because of traditional ceremonies like you mentioned. If you do a search you wiil find tons of K1 denials because of those ceremonies. 

So the very safest advice is to not do any ritual/ceremony at all until after the K1 is complete and have married in the US. It is not worth it.

He only gets denied if he goes to the consulate bragging about his traditional marriage when he goes to drop off his passport. Note that the embassy already approved the OP and ready to stamp his K-1.  

if he has a legal marriage documentation in Egypt then cancel K-1 and go thru with the CR1. otherwise his martial status is SINGLE outside of Egypt. There was no paperwork involved with this marriage. he will have to apply for a marriage certificate to be recognized in any western country.

NuestraUnion im familiar with those denied threads from those Casablanca and Islamabad consulates but it wont apply to the OP.  if his marriage isn't documented in the Egyptian court registry. don't wait another 12months after being in AP for 2yrs. go thru with the K-1. I don't see anything illegal he's doing

Edited by kingdomcome84

NoA1 - September 26, 2018

NoA2 - February 4, 2019  

52 minutes ago, kingdomcome84 said:

He only gets denied if he goes to the consulate bragging about his traditional marriage when he goes to drop off his passport. Note that the embassy already approved the OP and ready to stamp his K-1.  

if he has a legal marriage documentation in Egypt then cancel K-1 and go thru with the CR1. otherwise his martial status is SINGLE outside of Egypt. There was no paperwork involved with this marriage. he will have to apply for a marriage certificate to be recognized in any western country.

NuestraUnion im familiar with those denied threads from those Casablanca and Islamabad consulates but it wont apply to the OP.  if his marriage isn't documented in the Egyptian court registry. don't wait another 12months after being in AP for 2yrs. go thru with the K-1. I don't see anything illegal he's doing

If you are referring to the OP. Then the OP stated that they legally got married. Even mentioned getting a divorce because the K1 requires them to be singe. If they continue with the K1 it will be done so fraudulently, which is illegal.

Had they mentioned a ceremony, then things would be different.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
On 1/16/2019 at 3:09 AM, AMS13 said:

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'd like to get some insight on our case issue.

Basically, we were engaged to be married and after a long long time waiting on Administrative Processing after the visa was approved (more than 2 years) with no hope for the visa to be issued, we decided to get legally married a few months back and stay in Egypt.

A few days ago I received a call from the embassy saying your K1 visa will be issued after you send a new medical and the passport.

Here's my question:

Before getting the new medical, or sending my passport,

1. Should we legally divorce first then continue with the process and get the medical and send it to the embassy? I'm thinking that this will technically make us "free to marry", and avoid us the issues with misrepresentation. Is this true?

OR

2. Will we need to simply send a letter to the embassy to withdraw instead and reapply for a CR1/IR1, and wait another year, or more again?

Please, help us find the proper answer to this dilemma.

8 hours ago, kingdomcome84 said:

Some people commenting on this don't understand that the OP posted that they legally married and goes on to explain to us dummies from developed western countries about different types of marriages.  

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 1/16/2019 at 10:54 PM, AstroCanada said:

I would definitely reach out to the embassy, even go in person, and ask if there are any options.  I'd come prepared with marriage certificate and proof of a bona fide marriage.  They're unlikely to help you out, but there is a small chance they might permit a DCF given the very long wait and that they approved you for a visa.   It certainly never hurts to ask.    

The spouse has to be a legal resident of another country to DCF.

Are both of you in Egypt?

Edited by Nitas_man

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.