Jump to content
Pich_David

name not disignated after marriage on MC

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Pich_David said:

Can i use my husband surname in applying for Adustment of status EAD And AP even if in the marriage certificate i dont have designated name after marriage. Thank you!

Yes po. You can use your married name na since you are married now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pich_David said:

Thanks po... even no designated name after marriage in the marriace certificate, can i still use my hubby's surname?

9D1BF32B-AE52-44D6-89E7-5619B22F55C3.jpeg

That don't even have that box in the state of NC but my asawa still started using the married as soon we got married. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't see this before either. Our marriage certificate didn't ask that, so we filed in my married name (that is my legal name now btw). BUT U.S. law requires that your I-551 (Green card) carry your current legal name. So no, I don't think you file in your married name since that's not your legal name. Check with USCIS to be sure.

If you want to change your name legally, you can request to do so in your county (usually a lot of paperwork). If this takes too long and you can't file in your married name yet (after check with USCIS), you can file in your maiden name and change it later once the paperwork in your county is finished up and you have your Greenard (keep in mind that this is expensive, I think around $450 right now) 

You might be able to change your name on your AOS interview, but idk if that's actually the case.

Edited by C90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, C90 said:

I didn't see this before either. Our marriage certificate didn't ask that, so we filed in my married name (that is my legal name now btw). BUT U.S. law requires that your I-551 (Green card) carry your current legal name. So no, I don't think you file in your married name since that's not your legal name. Check with USCIS to be sure.

If you want to change your name legally, you can request to do so in your county (usually a lot of paperwork). If this takes too long and you can't file in your married name yet (after check with USCIS), you can file in your maiden name and change it later once the paperwork in your county is finished up and you have your Greenard (keep in mind that this is expensive, I think around $450 right now) 

You might be able to change your name on your AOS interview, but idk if that's actually the case.

I disagree. If she wants to change her name to her married name since she just got married then she needs to start using the married name on everything henceforth. Change the SS card to her married name, file for AOS in the married name, DL in the married name, all financial documents with the married name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cyberfx1024 said:

I disagree. If she wants to change her name to her married name since she just got married then she needs to start using the married name on everything henceforth. Change the SS card to her married name, file for AOS in the married name, DL in the married name, all financial documents with the married name.

True, but she chose to specifically not change her name. If this question isn't on your marriage license/certificate, you can start using your married name. Ours didn't ask this, so we didn't have a problem changing my SSN etc to my married name. But since it asked on hers and she decided not to take his name, her married name is not her legal name. Like I said, best to consult with USCIS if this is a big effect on her application or that she can just apply in her married name. SSN can only go in legal name. I would advise her to contact the marriage office in her county, they can prob tell her if she did or did not legally change her name with what she filled out. Every state/county is different, usually the marriage office knows best.

Edited by C90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, C90 said:

True, but she chose to specifically not change her name. If this question isn't on your marriage license/certificate, you can start using your married name. Ours didn't ask this, so we didn't have a problem changing my SSN etc to my married name. But since it asked on hers and she decided not to take his name, her married name is not her legal name. Like I said, best to consult with USCIS if this is a big effect on her application or that she can just apply in her married name. SSN can only go in legal name. I would advise her to contact the marriage office in her county, they can prob tell her if she did or did not legally change her name with what she filled out. Every state/county is different, usually the marriage office knows best.

Thank u. I think i need tonuse my single name to avoid some RFE. Yes i was asked if what name i will use after marriage and i said im not decided yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×