refugee

Judge Blocks Trump Administration From Adding Citizenship Question To The Census

119 posts in this topic

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
12 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

Ok.  Your argument is compelling.  You win.

https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/immigrants-in-the-united-states

Immigrants in the United States contribute billions of dollars in taxes.

• Immigrant-led households across the United States contributed a total of $223.6 billion in federal taxes and $104.6 billion in combined state and local taxes in 2014.
  • Undocumented immigrants in the United States paid an estimated $11.7 billion in combined state and local taxes in 2014. Their estimated contribution would rise to $13.9 billion if they could receive legal status.
  • DACA recipients paid an estimated $2 billion in combined state and local taxes in 2016.

As consumers, immigrants add hundreds of billions of dollars to the U.S. economy.

• In the United States, residents of immigrant-led households had $926.9 billion in collective spending power (after-tax income) in 2014.

Immigrant entrepreneurs in the United States generate tens of billions of dollars in business revenue.

• 3.3 million immigrant business owners accounted for 20.3 percent of all self-employed U.S. residents in 2015 and generated $72.3 billion in business income.
  • In 2015, immigrants accounted for 21.9 percent of all business owners in 50 of the largest U.S. metropolitan areas

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

Is the question legal immigrants or illegal immigrants, no one here is advocating against people that have followed the course of law or even legitimate refugee seekers, it's those that have chosen to sidestep the proscribed path

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

Is the question legal immigrants or illegal immigrants, no one here is advocating against people that have followed the course of law or even legitimate refugee seekers, it's those that have chosen to sidestep the proscribed path

I said:
   On 1/15/2019 at 6:07 PM, refugee said:

Non citizens pay Federal taxes, consume Federal services and are apart of the formula used to allocate Congressional districts, by law. 

The response:

Not many pay Federal taxes.

Based on that , the presumption is we are talking about non citizens.

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

My wife is a non citizen, she pays taxes in conjunction with me

I had neighbors that were illegal they transacted everything in cash, I do not think they paid taxes, but that is an assumption based on conversations with them

Filed: Other Timeline
45 minutes ago, refugee said:
I said:

Non citizens pay Federal taxes, consume Federal services and are apart of the formula used to allocate Congressional districts, by law. 

The response:

If you are on H1B visa, and working W2, you are obviously not citizen but your pay would have already had deduction for taxes. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
47 minutes ago, refugee said:
I said:

The response:

You know what happens when assumptions are made.  You obviously made an assumption you agree with lumping in all non-citizens as it makes your argument.  If you did the same study with only illegal immigrants, the narrative may be a bit different.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

You know what happens when assumptions are made.  You obviously made an assumption you agree with lumping in all non-citizens as it makes your argument.  If you did the same study with only illegal immigrants, the narrative may be a bit different.

The poster claimed non citizens didn't pay taxes. The subject is non citizens being apart of the census. Even then the net drain of undocumented workers is overstated in many circles and my link speaks to that.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, abum said:

If you are on H1B visa, and working W2, you are obviously not citizen but your pay would have already had deduction for taxes. 

Exactly, for starters. They also have a local taxes, tank up their car, many have mortgages or pay rent supporting property taxes. If you are on American soil, you are paying taxes.

1 hour ago, refugee said:

https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/immigrants-in-the-united-states

Immigrants in the United States contribute billions of dollars in taxes.

• Immigrant-led households across the United States contributed a total of $223.6 billion in federal taxes and $104.6 billion in combined state and local taxes in 2014.
  • Undocumented immigrants in the United States paid an estimated $11.7 billion in combined state and local taxes in 2014. Their estimated contribution would rise to $13.9 billion if they could receive legal status.
  • DACA recipients paid an estimated $2 billion in combined state and local taxes in 2016.

As consumers, immigrants add hundreds of billions of dollars to the U.S. economy.

• In the United States, residents of immigrant-led households had $926.9 billion in collective spending power (after-tax income) in 2014.

Immigrant entrepreneurs in the United States generate tens of billions of dollars in business revenue.

• 3.3 million immigrant business owners accounted for 20.3 percent of all self-employed U.S. residents in 2015 and generated $72.3 billion in business income.
  • In 2015, immigrants accounted for 21.9 percent of all business owners in 50 of the largest U.S. metropolitan areas

a bunch of cooked stats from an organization funded by immigration lawyers.. Yawn

Just now, refugee said:

Exactly, for starters. They also have a local taxes, tank up their car, many have mortgages or pay rent supporting property taxes. If you are on American soil, you are paying taxes.

and for H1B visa (and their family members), since their fate is uncertain here in the USA (unsure of the pathway to get a GC), what is wrong with them sending money out of the country where there is a high chance they will go back there? non issue to be honest. if you allow them to stay, more often than not, they will start planting some roots here in the country.

Just now, refugee said:

They also flood ER's use social services. Pay little or no income tax and send a lot of their wages back to other countries 

Reports: Illegal immigrants receiving Medicaid costs taxpayers $18.5 billion annually

https://www.watchdog.org/national/reports-illegal-immigrants-receiving-medicaid-costs-taxpayers-billion-annually/article_6a9860a6-d0bd-11e8-92ed-5bca8b2d3b38.html

5 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

a bunch of cooked stats from an organization funded by immigration lawyers.. Yawn

if one were to use the same ad-hominem attack just like this one, one can also say the same thing about the links you shared. 

1 minute ago, abum said:

if one were to use the same ad-hominem attack just like this one, one can also say the same thing about the links you shared. 

ad hominem attack ??  Clutching pearls a bit maybe ?

I think he is actually saying both arguments are sacks of Doo, biased reporting in both cases support a negative connotation of the opposing view.