wasp8898

How long does it take to file taxes?

16 posts in this topic

We are on the interview stage of K1, but my fiance doesn't have his tax information yet because he hasn't filed his 2017 taxes, he is a freelancer. 

My question is, if he has all the information to file his taxes, how long does it take for us to get the needed documents for I-I34 form? 

Thanks! 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, wasp8898 said:

We are on the interview stage of K1, but my fiance doesn't have his tax information yet because he hasn't filed his 2017 taxes, he is a freelancer. 

My question is, if he has all the information to file his taxes, how long does it take for us to get the needed documents for I-I34 form? 

Thanks! 

2017 ?    He didn't file taxes last year?   

How long it takes to file a tax return depends on how complicated his filing process is, for me I would guess 30-60 minutes 

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

It depends on what he does for a living and if he is a 1099 (Works as a subcontractor/Self Employed) or W2 (Works for a company).

It depends if he does his own taxes or sends them off to a CPA

It could be a one hour to a few days long

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

2017 ?    He didn't file taxes last year?   

How long it takes to file a tax return depends on how complicated his filing process is, for me I would guess 30-60 minutes 

yeah, unfortunately, he didn't. He owes taxes. Would that affect us?

1 hour ago, Chris Duffy said:

It depends on what he does for a living and if he is a 1099 (Works as a subcontractor/Self Employed) or W2 (Works for a company).

It depends if he does his own taxes or sends them off to a CPA

It could be a one hour to a few days long

He is self-employed and sending them off to a CPA. Just worried that our NOA2 (we still have two months left) would expire before we could get that information.

3 minutes ago, wasp8898 said:

He is self-employed and sending them off to a CPA. Just worried that our NOA2 (we still have two months left) would expire before we could get that information.

He is very early to send them off to a CPA,  So it should be done very quickly, I would say less than week.

Most 1099 (That is what individuals or companies) send to self employed are not due to be sent out by January 31st of  this month

Timeline
10 minutes ago, wasp8898 said:

yeah, unfortunately, he didn't. He owes taxes. Would that affect us?

So now he owes taxes .. plus penalty.  ;)  

I know that if a person hasn't filed their taxes the embassy does ask "why" ..  so yes it is possible not filing could affect your visa application.

9 minutes ago, wasp8898 said:

NOA2 won't expire in the 4 months noted on it. The embassy will automatically renew it for up to a YEAR.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

28 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

He is very early to send them off to a CPA,  So it should be done very quickly, I would say less than week.

Most 1099 (That is what individuals or companies) send to self employed are not due to be sent out by January 31st of  this month

Thanks for the info! That's a relief that it shouldn't take that long.

19 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

So now he owes taxes .. plus penalty.  ;)  

I know that if a person hasn't filed their taxes the embassy does ask "why" ..  so yes it is possible not filing could affect your visa application.

NOA2 won't expire in the 4 months noted on it. The embassy will automatically renew it for up to a YEAR.

But if what if files right now and we use that information? Would they still care that he owes taxes?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, wasp8898 said:

But if what if files right now and we use that information? Would they still care that he owes taxes?

No.  

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, wasp8898 said:

If he files right now and sends you copies of his 2017 tax return .. then all should be good as long as his gross income meets the poverty guidelines.

Embassy doesn't care if he and the IRS have a "payment plan" .. or whatever .. just that he has filed and you have a copy of the most recent tax return

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 minute ago, wasp8898 said:

They don't care if he owes or gets money back, that is irrelative for the USEM interview section.

He can just take his tax filing he sent to the IRS from his CPA.

I would say as a rule most 1099's owe at the end of the year, I am 1099 and used my taxes back in the day. I usually owe around $10,000 USD each year.

8 minutes ago, payxibka said:

No.  

8 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

If he files right now and sends you copies of his 2017 tax return .. then all should be good as long as his gross income meets the poverty guidelines.

Embassy doesn't care if he and the IRS have a "payment plan" .. or whatever .. just that he has filed and you have a copy of the most recent tax return

7 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

They don't care if he owes or gets money back, that is irrelative for the USEM interview section.

He can just take his tax filing he sent to the IRS from his CPA.

I would say as a rule most 1099's owe at the end of the year, I am 1099 and used my taxes back in the day. I usually owe around $10,000 USD each year.

Thank you, everyone, for the help! :) 

The USEM hasn't  really asked for I-134 for K1's for a few years now.

Last couple weeks we have seen a few isolated reports that the pre screeners at the USEM are actually asking for it.

Once you do your physical interview at the USEM, can you let us know if they asked for it specifically? 

Edited by Chris Duffy

17 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Last couple weeks we have seen a few isolated reports that the pre screeners at the USEM are actually asking for it.

Once you do your physical interview at the USEM, can you let us know if they asked for it specifically? 

Sure that's the least I could do for all the help I've got here :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Chris Duffy said:

I have given specific instructions not to offer any evidence not asked for.  We will see what happens next week 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.