sweethrtt

RFE....help?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As part of our I-129f Application the petitioner my U.S. Citizen fiance included a copy of the back and front of his Birth Certificate from the New York Department of Health.

Our RFE that we just received today states that this is not sufficient evidence of his U.S. Citizenship (which honestly makes no sense). He does not have a passport as he uses his Enhanced Drivers Licence to travel outside of the U.S. (only by land). 

We were both thinking that we should resubmit his Birth Certificate in Color Copy (previously was black and white), a copy of his Enhanced Drivers Licence and his Social Security Number. Do you guys think that this would be sufficient? 

We are both extremely confused as to why this happened but it is what it is and we would like to send this information to them as soon as possible.

Any input from you lovely people would be extremely helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
29 minutes ago, sweethrtt said:

As part of our I-129f Application the petitioner my U.S. Citizen fiance included a copy of the back and front of his Birth Certificate from the New York Department of Health.

Our RFE that we just received today states that this is not sufficient evidence of his U.S. Citizenship (which honestly makes no sense). He does not have a passport as he uses his Enhanced Drivers Licence to travel outside of the U.S. (only by land). 

We were both thinking that we should resubmit his Birth Certificate in Color Copy (previously was black and white), a copy of his Enhanced Drivers Licence and his Social Security Number. Do you guys think that this would be sufficient? 

We are both extremely confused as to why this happened but it is what it is and we would like to send this information to them as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Is the birth certificate in long form or the short one with just the city his name and his parents name.   I think they might be asking for the long form of birth certificate.  

Don't send the same evidence over again thats just risking it, call them if your not sure what the problem was.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Did you send a certified copy of the birth certificate, or just a normal photocopy?  Further, you may need to get a copy of the birth certificate from the city where he was born, which would be notarized (authenticated) by the county, which would then need to be notarized (authenticated) by the state before it would be acceptable...

I recall having to go through a similar process, albeit for a very different reason...  Birth certificate from the city (Auburn, NY in this case) had to be authenticated by the county, and then apostilled by the state to be acceptable for use outside of the country - which might also be needed for this, though just an authenticated copy from the county may be sufficient...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
36 minutes ago, sweethrtt said:

Thanks in advance!

EDL & SSN are not proof of citizenship 

YMMV

Timeline
1 hour ago, Valmabe said:

Did you check the accepted documents as evidence of US citizenship on the instructions sheet of the I-129f? That can help.

Yes we both did... that is why we included a copy of the front and back of his birth certificate. The instructions state (taken directly from the instruction sheet on the I-129F website):

3. Evidence of U.S. citizenship which may include any of the following:

A. A copy of your birth certificate issued by a U.S. civil authority;

B. A copy of your original Certificate of Naturalization;

C. A copy of your original Certificate of Citizenship;

D. A copy of your Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States;

E. A copy of your valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card issued with a validity period of at least five years; or

F. A statement executed by a U.S. consular officer certifying that you are a U.S. citizen and the bearer of a currently valid U.S. passport.

We submitted 'A' exactly as stated. It does not state its needs to notarized or anything like that so I'm at a loss here.

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Timeline
1 hour ago, jkstark said:

Did you send a certified copy of the birth certificate, or just a normal photocopy?  Further, you may need to get a copy of the birth certificate from the city where he was born, which would be notarized (authenticated) by the county, which would then need to be notarized (authenticated) by the state before it would be acceptable...

I recall having to go through a similar process, albeit for a very different reason...  Birth certificate from the city (Auburn, NY in this case) had to be authenticated by the county, and then apostilled by the state to be acceptable for use outside of the country - which might also be needed for this, though just an authenticated copy from the county may be sufficient...

He sent in a normal photocopy.. the instructions on the website did not say it needed to be certified. I'm so confused because we followed the instructions exactly as they are listed on the instructions page:

D. A copy of your Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States;

E. A copy of your valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card issued with a validity period of at least five years; or

F. A statement executed by a U.S. consular officer certifying that you are a U.S. citizen and the bearer of a currently valid U.S. passport.

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Timeline
4 minutes ago, sweethrtt said:

He sent in a normal photocopy.. the instructions on the website did not say it needed to be certified. I'm so confused because we followed the instructions exactly as they are listed on the instructions page:

Does it have parental information?

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Yes it does.

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Timeline
9 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I just noticed on the back of the birth certificate it reads:

"Your Child's original birth certificate is on file at the New York State Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Records, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237. A copy is also on file with the local registrar of the community in which your child was born. Copies of Birth Certificates may be obtained from either the State Health Department or the local registrar."

I'm now wondering if the one I have here is just a personal copy. And I would need to obtain the original as stated above.

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You need a certified copy. I sent in a certified copy of my birth certificate certified by the city and state where I was born. If you can get this, this is probably all you need.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, PushaKee said:

You need a certified copy. I sent in a certified copy of my birth certificate certified by the city and state where I was born. If you can get this, this is probably all you need.

Okay so that was our complete issue in the first place. It needs to be ordered from the New York Department of Health, right? I am actually online and can order it via the internet. Do you think we should also include his adoption papers just to be on the safe side?

Thank you so much for your help you have been a life saver!

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Timeline
20 minutes ago, sweethrtt said:

Okay so that was our complete issue in the first place. It needs to be ordered from the New York Department of Health, right? I am actually online and can order it via the internet. Do you think we should also include his adoption papers just to be on the safe side?

Thank you so much for your help you have been a life saver!

Adoption papers do not prove citizenship 

YMMV

Timeline

I ordered a certified copy of the birth certificate from the New York State Department of Vital Records.

Thank you everyone for your help!!!

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.