Toasty_Kitten

I'm a U.S Citizen, Wife is German (Temporary stay for Internship)

27 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hello everyone!

Me and my wife have been studying in Berlin, Germany for about 2 years (married 3 years ago in the US), and want to do our mandatory Internship back in the US at the end of this year.

We've been looking around a bunch for a Visa for her and are confused about all the different options for our situation: Temporary Work, Training Period, Student, or Spouse Visas.

We would be in the US for 4-5 months, what would be our easiest option?

I would call in to get direct advice, but living in Germany makes that difficult.

Thank you so much for any help!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Toasty_Kitten said:

Hello everyone!

Me and my wife have been studying in Berlin, Germany for about 2 years (married 3 years ago in the US), and want to do our mandatory Internship back in the US at the end of this year.

We've been looking around a bunch for a Visa for her and are confused about all the different options for our situation: Temporary Work, Training Period, Student, or Spouse Visas.

We would be in the US for 4-5 months, what would be our easiest option?

I would call in to get direct advice, but living in Germany makes that difficult.

Thank you so much for any help!

Spouse visa directly filed with the uscis in Frankfurt if you intend to remain and live in the USA 

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, Toasty_Kitten said:

"We would be in the US for 4-5 months..."

We'd be returning to Berlin finish our studies.

Until?  And then what is the plan?

YMMV

https://j1visa.state.gov/programs/intern/

Tourist visa or student visa or spouse visa (????) are not for internship purpose.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

"We would be in the US for 4-5 months..."

We'd be returning to Berlin finish our studies.

What is your wife's citizenship? I assume you are a US citizen, though it wasn't clear from your post.
Also, what is the nature of the internship? Is it paid, not paid? Is it working or is it primarily studying?

Timeline
1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

What is your wife's citizenship? I assume you are a US citizen, though it wasn't clear from your post.

Read the thread title

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

Also, what is the nature of the internship? Is it paid, not paid? Is it working or is it primarily studying?

She has a German Citizenship, and it would likely be a paid Internship.

Timeline

Yes we eventually plan to live later in the U.S. So we should just get a Spouse Visa right away then, is that something permanent?

Depends on the definition of "later"

YMMV

Spouse visa leads to the green card, and having green cards means living in the US, not Germany. Too much time spend in Germany and your wife will simply loose the green card.

Look into the intern visa.

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Toasty_Kitten said:

Our studies will be finished in 5 years.

Too much time.  Spouse visa is the option 5 years from now 

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

Too much time.  Spouse visa is the option 5 years from now 

6 minutes ago, Roel said:

Spouse visa leads to the green card, and having green cards means living in the US, not Germany. Too much time spend in Germany and your wife will simply loose the green card.

Look into the intern visa.

Okay, we'll focus on obtaining an Internship Visa then.

Thank you so much for the quick assistance!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

HI

i have a relative here now on student visa

this process is not fast

1   apply to college or university

2   after being accepted,  pay the fee to hold the spot

3   start the student visa application / many of the larger universities have a lawyer to help with this if you can show  u have the necessary funds to pay for tuition and room and board

4  took my relative over a year to go thru this process 

DFC is available in Germany but requires the USC meets the poverty level guidelines for sponsoring the beneficary

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.