akfamilyjourney

Financial Proof/Employment letter/Co-Sponsor

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, theafons said:

Just double checked the link again. It doesn’t say anything about I-134 form, but only reffering to I-864. 

I assume if we are not on active duty in the U.S. armed forces we should go with 125% requirement?

Where do some people get from that to meet 100% is enough for K-1 visa?

Its usually not even close to being enough.   100% is the minimum,  however the consular has discretion and must be "convinced" which is vague at best

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
4 hours ago, theafons said:

Just double checked the link again. It doesn’t say anything about I-134 form, but only reffering to I-864. 

I assume if we are not on active duty in the U.S. armed forces we should go with 125% requirement?

Where do some people get from that to meet 100% is enough for K-1 visa?

That is the federal poverty guideline from the Dept of Health and Human Services which immigration uses to decide on support levels for immigrants. Other government agencies use it to decide on qualifications for other federal programs. Here's the HHS version https://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/ocs/2018_hhs_poverty_guidelines.pdf

We've already covered the 100% earlier in this thread. Did you forget already?

From the Department of State who grants the visa. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#9

Do the Same Income Requirements Apply to Form I-134 as Apply to Form I-864?

No. The 125 percent of the federal poverty guideline minimum income requirement, the most recent year's tax return, and other requirements only apply when Form I-864 is needed. Applicants presenting Form I-134 will need to show that their U.S. sponsor's income is 100 percent of the federal poverty guideline.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

That is the federal poverty guideline from the Dept of Health and Human Services which immigration uses to decide on support levels for immigrants. Other government agencies use it to decide on qualifications for other federal programs. Here's the HHS version https://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/ocs/2018_hhs_poverty_guidelines.pdf

We've already covered the 100% earlier in this thread. Did you forget already?

From the Department of State who grants the visa. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#9

Do the Same Income Requirements Apply to Form I-134 as Apply to Form I-864?

No. The 125 percent of the federal poverty guideline minimum income requirement, the most recent year's tax return, and other requirements only apply when Form I-864 is needed. Applicants presenting Form I-134 will need to show that their U.S. sponsor's income is 100 percent of the federal poverty guideline.

I quess I am just overwhelmed jumping from one link to another. Thank you for your patience.

I found a different link few days ago, I guess for 2019 upcoming update? What do you think?

https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines

It says:

"The 2019 poverty guidelines are in effect as of January 11, 2019.
Federal Register notice forthcoming. Publication is delayed due to temporary closure of federal offices."

Timeline
1 hour ago, theafons said:

I quess I am just overwhelmed jumping from one link to another. Thank you for your patience.

I found a different link few days ago, I guess for 2019 upcoming update? What do you think?

https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines

It says:

"The 2019 poverty guidelines are in effect as of January 11, 2019.
Federal Register notice forthcoming. Publication is delayed due to temporary closure of federal offices."

Yes, that would be your guideline. Sometimes they don't put out new ones until Feb, Mar, or later. 

When issuing K-1 visas, different consulates do different things. Some want 100% and others want 125%. They also differ in what kind of evidence they want to see. So it's easy to read a tonne of contradictory information on the Internet, you need to focus on information that is specific to interviewing at the London embassy.

There is no need to submit an employment letter if your other evidence is sufficient. In your case, the employment letter kind of just confuses things.

If his income is from those two jobs, then the two final pay stubs from the end of December will show his 2018 income, and he will have the tax transcript for 2017. If he expects to work similar hours and make similar money in 2019 then he can just put his income as the number shown for 2018, or round it to the nearest clean number. If he expects to work/earn more, then he can calculate what he expects to earn and write that instead.

Looking at the 125% level for 2018, was his 2018 income just above it or well above it? What about his 2017 income?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, JoannaV said:

When issuing K-1 visas, different consulates do different things. Some want 100% and others want 125%. They also differ in what kind of evidence they want to see. So it's easy to read a tonne of contradictory information on the Internet, you need to focus on information that is specific to interviewing at the London embassy.

There is no need to submit an employment letter if your other evidence is sufficient. In your case, the employment letter kind of just confuses things.

If his income is from those two jobs, then the two final pay stubs from the end of December will show his 2018 income, and he will have the tax transcript for 2017. If he expects to work similar hours and make similar money in 2019 then he can just put his income as the number shown for 2018, or round it to the nearest clean number. If he expects to work/earn more, then he can calculate what he expects to earn and write that instead.

Looking at the 125% level for 2018, was his 2018 income just above it or well above it? What about his 2017 income?

His 2017 tax return is a few thousand above 125%, 2018 December paystubs show around $5000 more.

Edited by theafons

Timeline
17 hours ago, theafons said:

His 2017 tax return is a few thousand above 125%, 2018 December paystubs show around $5000 more.

Those two proofs will be all you need for a London interview. I would use the total for 2018 as shown on the pay stubs as "current income" since anything more would be speculation because it isn't a straight monthly salary.

1 hour ago, theafons said:

So we got copies of 2017 tax return. It is 1040 form along with w2, i guess.

What are tax transcripts? It seems we can get them online, not sure if there is any difference..?

Less paper.  Available online. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.