kalikala

For affidavit - questions on listing cash assets and question on tax returns

1 post in this topic

For my USC husband's I-864, his current income is zero and he didn't file his 2016 & 2017 tax return because he did not work.

For 2015 his tax return states a total income of -$3,331.

We have a qualified joint sponsor who will submit an I--864. 

Questions regarding Assets:

My husband has cash savings over 3x the poverty guidelines level for a household of 3 which are made up of 2 checking accounts - 1 of them is joint with his parents.

1) Will this be OK given the fact that one of the accounts are joint with his parents? The other one is under his name only.

2) Will it be OK to submit a recent bank certificate that states the amount that are in those accounts? Or do you need actual bank statements.

3) Is there any point of listing his cash assets given we are having a joint sponsor and the fact that his current income is zero and past 3 years income on tax returns are zero? I just don't want them to think that he has nothing at all - which is essentially what it looks like if we don't put his savings down.

4) He has 1/3 ownership of a property that can be liquidated within a year with cash value well over 3x poverty guidelines for household of 3. We thought about listing this too but is there much point getting the supporting documentation for this given again, we have a joint sponsor.

Question regarding Tax Returns:

Following on from this, the Federal Income Tax Return Information section of my husband's I-864 currently looks like this:

23.a - Have you filed tax return for each of the 3 most recent years? NO

24a. - Tax year 2017: $0

24b. - Tax year 2016: $0

24c. - Tax year 2015: - $3,331

1) Should I still submit his 2015 Tax return even though the reported total income is negative?

2) He has a written statement that says he did not work during 2016 & 2017 - will a signed statement be OK?

Thank you in advance for your time and advice!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.