M&Ma

I-864 for no income wife and co-sponsor dad

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I (applicant) have a few questions about filling in the form for my wife (petitioner) and her dad (joint sponsor). First, how should my wife fill out part 5. of this form? Currently we have put "1" for the first two, but it asks her to put "1" in the 3rd box since she is married. However the note at the top says to not count any household members more than once. So do we put "1" in the 3rd box or leave it empty?

1786000428_ScreenShot2019-01-11at6_44_22PM.png.888b41517b1d43b544ce83540b64d76d.png

Next, my wifes dad is a self employed consultant and has several companies he works with. For him we have his latest IRS tax account transcript, maybe we should add the IRS tax return transcript also? We also have a few letters of employment as proof of current income. Is this enough for proof of income? Tracking down individual pay stubs might be difficult.

In the instructions I found the following "

• Proof of their residency in your household and relationship to you if they are not the intending immigrants or are not listed as dependents on your Federal income tax return for the most recent tax year. "

I'm not sure what this means, do we need to prove my father-in-laws relationship to me?

My wife has not had any income for the past 3 years so we attached a separate self prepared letter stating that fact.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

the instructions state not to count a person twice, since she is your petitioner, she is counted for that, she doesn't need to count herself as spouse, you leave that one blank and the sum is 2 if you don't have any children

her dad will file another i864 as her joint sponsor

unless he lives in the same house as your wife, he isn't her household member, he is her joint sponsor and would need to file a separate i864 as her only joint sponsor

@aleful thanks for the response. I meant that in the 3rd box I would be counted as the spouse, since she is married to me and she is the main sponsor for me. Should we still leave it empty since I'm person being sponsored in this affidavit?

Also the instruction is a bit confusing. This is what I found:

"Item Number 3. Type or print “1” if you are married. Type or print “0” if you are not married."

Edited by M&Ma

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
14 hours ago, M&Ma said:

Hello,

I (applicant) have a few questions about filling in the form for my wife (petitioner) and her dad (joint sponsor). First, how should my wife fill out part 5. of this form? Currently we have put "1" for the first two, but it asks her to put "1" in the 3rd box since she is married. However the note at the top says to not count any household members more than once. So do we put "1" in the 3rd box or leave it empty?

1786000428_ScreenShot2019-01-11at6_44_22PM.png.888b41517b1d43b544ce83540b64d76d.png

Next, my wifes dad is a self employed consultant and has several companies he works with. For him we have his latest IRS tax account transcript, maybe we should add the IRS tax return transcript also? We also have a few letters of employment as proof of current income. Is this enough for proof of income? Tracking down individual pay stubs might be difficult.

In the instructions I found the following "

• Proof of their residency in your household and relationship to you if they are not the intending immigrants or are not listed as dependents on your Federal income tax return for the most recent tax year. "

I'm not sure what this means, do we need to prove my father-in-laws relationship to me?

My wife has not had any income for the past 3 years so we attached a separate self prepared letter stating that fact.

You put (1) in the 3rd box only if the immigrant is someone other than spouse.

Boxes 2-8 are to count people in your household that are not on the petition. 

Your father in law should fill out his own affidavit as joint sponsor.  He or his household does not go on the primary sponsor’s I-864 (nor does his tax info)

Your wife files one as primary, and your father in law files a seperate (I-864A?) as co-sponsor.

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
11 hours ago, M&Ma said:

@aleful thanks for the response. I meant that in the 3rd box I would be counted as the spouse, since she is married to me and she is the main sponsor for me. Should we still leave it empty since I'm person being sponsored in this affidavit?

Also the instruction is a bit confusing. This is what I found:

"Item Number 3. Type or print “1” if you are married. Type or print “0” if you are not married."

I’m idly wondering why your wife and her father have tasked you to fill out the support affidavits that they are supposed to prepare and sign.

Timeline
30 minutes ago, M&Ma said:

@Nitas_man My wife and her father both file separate I-864's. We will fill them together but I'm just gathering all the info I can before sending them in. I don't want there to be any issues with our paperwork.

It was idle curiousity.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.